Sony vs. Everyone - Tales of Exploits, Lawyers, Hackers, and Houseraids

Level 99

Just because piracy can happen with George Hotz's legal modifications

Correction: "can happen" is misleading. You can NOT use GeoHotz modifications to pirate out of the box. He specifically designed it so it will be useless to piracy.

Pirates have used combinations of new hacks and/or modifying his base code to enable piracy.

in fact, the console was pirated, as stated before, by a COMMERCIAL product called PSJailbreak, before fail0verflow or GeoHotz came into the picture. So blaming Geo for ANY sort of piracy is misleading, since all current methods of running games are based on PSJailbreak's software and its open source kin, being heavily modified to work with GeoHotz CFW, or by heavily modifying GeoHotz CFW (which are then, not his CFW).

None of your analogies fit.

Sony has never prevented any activity that I ever wanted to take with their systems and until they do, no one has any right to complain about their course of action.

Just because you didn't use OtherOS doesn't mean nobody else did. Besides, once they come take away something you personally used, then what? "Oh i guess I should of stood up for consumer rights while i had the chance"?

Also may i remind you, graf the one raided by German police at Sony's request and being sued for 750K euros, just put OtherOS back on and made it run better, nothing to do with piracy or even enabling homebrew really.

Like Geo has said, Sony has really messed up though. If they had just quietly fought this with updates/new firmware requirements like most companies do to slow down piracy/hackers, most people would have no idea whats going on right now

Thanks to their annoucements to everybody they've been hacked, and lawsuit thats getting national attention and TV spots, traffic to hacking sites have trippled, PSJailbreak clones are sold out everywhere (why i dont know, guess not everybody understands these arent needed anymore), and now your every day joe knows you can "get free PS3 games". Because Sony is advertising thats what it does, when it doesn't.

Speaking of Sony legal issues, the one they have with LG took an interesting turn.

http://www.destructoid.com/all-ps3s-blocked-from-entering-europe-195289.phtml

Sony only has so much money and so many lawyers. I'm skeptical about their ability to pool the resources on all fronts right now, especially with the NGP hype-train trying to get started. I realize the legal and marketing departments are separate entities, but how much money is Sony willing to burn simultaneously with all this going on? I'm quite surprised that customs really IS holding the PS3 shipments, and it could be the wake-up call Sony has been hitting the snooze button on for a while.

Sony only has so much money and so many lawyers. I'm skeptical about their ability to pool the resources on all fronts right now, especially with the NGP hype-train trying to get started. I realize the legal and marketing departments are separate entities, but how much money is Sony willing to burn simultaneously with all this going on?

Well, they do have multiple divisions that make lots of money, and I can see them allocating cash flow from any one thing to the next. Plus, Sony is one of those companies that no matter how bad things get for them, and no matter deep into the red they are, they always seem to have a way to come back, or at least keep running until things turn around.

I think they are owned by the secret vampire class that rules us all without knowing. That, or they are aliens. It would explain a few things.

I'm quite surprised that customs really IS holding the PS3 shipments, and it could be the wake-up call Sony has been hitting the snooze button on for a while.

Nah. Sony don't do wake-up calls. They do forced litigation and out-of-court settlements.

Thin Crust VS JackKieser.

I dunno who I want to win. Feels like it's a no win situation.

To be fair, Thin Crust doesn't really have a position; he's just arguing that the status quo is indeed the status quo, and that GeoHot has to overcome that. The real vs. is "Sony vs. Consumer Rights", in which case, if Thin Crust is (basically) reaffirming Sony's position, it should be obvious which side is the one for average people to root for.

The argument, believe it or not, boils down to "freedom or security", and how people who would trade one for the other deserve neither.

Did anyone else read this? The main point is that even though GeoHot and the other guys own their respective PS3s, they don't own the code that protects Sony's security, and that's where they could lose the case. Is this a valid point for the case, or something that will be blown over by other factors?

Apothecary85 on Mar 3, 2011 07:05 PDT

JCollins82

""But the agreement!", that agreements legality is presently under scrutiny and for good reason. You don't even get to see the agreement till AFTER you've purchased, opened, and hooked up your console."

Excellent point. Also if you decided that you did not agree or accept the agreement at this point you really would have no option. Most retailers would not accept a return, only an exchange. No one would buy a house if they had to sign the financial contract first, and then were able to see the house. This seems rather backwards with all software/hardware and not legal. I think the contract should have to be signed at the time of purchase just like a car or house or Sony could put in the contract that if you do not accept it, they would reimburse all of the expenses of the purchase.

I'm certainly not a lawyer, but that's a fairly compelling argument, I'd say. There are no options should you choose to say "whoa there, I can't accept this" by the time you actually see that screen. You either accept Sony's contract and get a working PS3 or you have just bought a $300 brick. Apoc is right in that you certainly can't return an opened new console.

I'm certainly not a lawyer, but that's a fairly compelling argument, I'd say. There are no options should you choose to say "whoa there, I can't accept this" by the time you actually see that screen. You either accept Sony's contract and get a working PS3 or you have just bought a $300 brick. Apoc is right in that you certainly can't return an opened new console.

I'm willing to bet that by itself is open to a pretty nasty class action lawsuit unless there's some kind of legal clause/precedent for it.

So what happens to the people who watched the youtube video but didn't download anything?

Would they gloss over that IP address because it wasn't repeated anywhere else (or even in California, for that matter), or would they be subpoenaing EVERYONE who didn't go to GeoHot's site or downloaded the hack too?

What the shit, Sony?