Rift

Fusion2004

Bump.

I know there's a few trying rift out (I'm one of them). I think Capa is too.

I'll post my impressions once I get done patching and log in.

I'm basically looking for something 'new' in the sense of 'it's not WoW but it's an MMO'.

Too bad the marketing as been "Hey this isn't WOW"

People need to realize that to fight against WoW you should not be making the comparison, you should come up with something new.

Too bad the marketing as been "Hey this isn't WOW"

People need to realize that to fight against WoW you should not be making the comparison, you should come up with something new.

Indeed. And as a gamer that's MMO'd since EQ, I still base my comparisons based on the original feel of EQ pre-Planes of Power days.

Man, them were good days.

/end nostalgia

Anyways, here's to hoping it's not a carbon copy clone of WoW... yet, the way the market is right now, almost all MMO's are. Guess I'm wishing for something that might not exist yet, eh?

Indeed. And as a gamer that's MMO'd since EQ, I still base my comparisons based on the original feel of EQ pre-Planes of Power days.

/end nostalgia

Anyways, here's to hoping it's not a carbon copy clone of WoW... yet, the way the market is right now, almost all MMO's are. Guess I'm wishing for something that might not exist yet, eh?

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!

Rift is that MMO. The UI is similar to WoW but standard to most fantasy games that's probably the biggest similarity. Adaptive content based on playercount on servers. For all intents and purposes practical on-demand content in the Rift concept it runs. The crafting system rivals drops and high end gear in all aspects and combat wise i find a lot more interesting than others i've played.

Have fun with this game. I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

Been in since 5th beta ;)

However the ad was NOT just targeting WoW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fires_of_Azeroth

This is the ORIGINAL Azeroth. A foundation on which most of the fantasy games have been rooted in. A lot of the general concepts here got thrown out the window.

Btw: Blizzard fears this game. Blizzard tried to buy up advertising spots to prevent Rift from getting them. Rift beat them to the punch.

/end nostalgia

Ah yes, early EQ... I pretty much do that same compairson. Well, Rift might not be like that but I'm actually really starting to enjoy myself. Started in late beta so a lot of the content is still really new to me but I see that as a good thing, hell I stopped playing beta once I realized I was probably going to enjoy this game. The soul system is really a lot of fun, so many possiblities for how your class' build(s) will set up.

I wouldn't say I'm blown away but as MMOs go, Rift's launch has been very smooth so far and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. The WoW comparisons in public chat and stuff are endless but honestly, people are just saying that since their first MMO was WoW and they don't realize that things like the interface and general play style have been around since well before that. That said I'm sure it does have its legit similarities, but I really feel like it's more that it's just similar to the vast majority of MMOs out there, which certainly so far it is, with some new flavor of course.

I'm on Freeholme as it was the newest server that had come up by the time I got home from work on the first day of head start. This is the first time in a long time I haven't gone into an mmo with friends or old guildmates so flying solo is a little different.