So, my 360 RROD'd

Native Jovian

And I've decided that I want to try fixing it myself. If I completely fuck it up, no real loss anyway, as I'd probably have ended up buying one of the new versions of the 360 rather than repairing my old one anyway -- the new hardware supposedly runs a lot cooler and is a lot less likely to RROD. Of course, that's what they said about the version that I bought three years ago...

Anyway, anyone ever tried it before? I've seen some guides and stuff for how to do it online, but I was wondering if anyone here had any personal experience with it.

I got an RROD'd off of eBay once, I managed to fix it. That was back when they were more expensive, not sure if its worth all that effort to fix one now.

Its possible for sure, but there are a lot of 'failed' RROD fix, and sometimes the fix has to be redone

Also, you might want to check your error code to see if its a fixable RROD issue as there are more than just one. There are a few sites hosting "RROD Error codes", Xbox Scene is one of them but not sure if i can link it

I fixed my RROD...for like a month. Then it died again. Apparently it has worked well for some people, though. It's an "easy" fix, only took me about an hour. Cost me maybe 10 bucks; the most expensive part of the repair was the silver thermal paste. You can find it on amazon pretty cheap.

Here's the method I used:

http://something4free.net/xbox-360-news/how-to-fix-rrod-three-red-rings-of-death/

It is true that the new slim is much superior to the older models. See if the fix works for you, then pick up the slim if it doesn't.

my 360 rrod'ed a few months back. microsoft charges at least $100 to fix one. I think it's $120. Mine didn't completely die, it was on and off and I drove to Gamestop and traded it in almost immediately, it worked when they tested it. You could fix yours (because the fix seems to be temporary for some people) trade it in, and then buy a new slim. It would be about $60 bucks off the price that way. You have nothing to lose either way.

It's past the warranty date, even the extended RROD warranty; I missed it by a friggen month (ended Jan 2011). I talked to Microsoft about having them fix it -- it's $100 and would like 4-6 weeks. Since a brand new one is only $200 these days, I figured it wasn't that much of a difference. I haven't been able to find anything that talks about whether the new 360s are actually less RROD-prone than the older ones, though a lot of stuff points out that it should be. Since I'm the kind of guy who keeps his consoles forever (my SNES is hooked up right now, and my NES isn't only because I don't have enough ports on my TV), I'm totally willing to pay a extra $100 to get a console that will last.

I did double (and triple, and quadruple) check to make sure it's really the "real" RROD, not any of the various "not actually as serious as you think" versions. As far as I can tell, it's the real thing.

Anyway, thanks for the link, Sole Signal, I'll check it out. If it dies on me again, then at least I won't have wasted a lot of money on the project. And if it works, hey, good deal.

edit -- ooooh, fixing it and trading it in sounds like a damned good idea. Sure, it's probably sort of a dick move, but Gamestop is sort of a dick company anyway. They don't actually check to see if you've cracked open the case or anything before they accept the trade-in? Because trying to slip them a semi-broken one and getting caught at it would kinda suck.

It's past the warranty date, even the extended RROD warranty; I missed it by a friggen month (ended Jan 2011). I talked to Microsoft about having them fix it -- it's $100 and would like 4-6 weeks. Since a brand new one is only $200 these days, I figured it wasn't that much of a difference. I haven't been able to find anything that talks about whether the new 360s are actually less RROD-prone than the older ones, though a lot of stuff points out that it should be. Since I'm the kind of guy who keeps his consoles forever (my SNES is hooked up right now, and my NES isn't only because I don't have enough ports on my TV), I'm totally willing to pay a extra $100 to get a console that will last.

I did double (and triple, and quadruple) check to make sure it's really the "real" RROD, not any of the various "not actually as serious as you think" versions. As far as I can tell, it's the real thing.

Anyway, thanks for the link, Sole Signal, I'll check it out. If it dies on me again, then at least I won't have wasted a lot of money on the project. And if it works, hey, good deal.

edit -- ooooh, fixing it and trading it in sounds like a damned good idea. Sure, it's probably sort of a dick move, but Gamestop is sort of a dick company anyway. They don't actually check to see if you've cracked open the case or anything before they accept the trade-in? Because trying to slip them a semi-broken one and getting caught at it would kinda suck.

That's a good point, is there a seal or like a sticker that you have to remove to open a 360? I've never opened one before. I think gamestop is doing a deal where you get an extra $25 for trade ins on systems right now.

They don't actually check to see if you've cracked open the case or anything before they accept the trade-in? Because trying to slip them a semi-broken one and getting caught at it would kinda suck.

What are they going to do though? They'll just say, "We can't take this" and you'll get no money. You could totally feign ignorance about the issue.