2 wireless routers on same network?

Soma

So the way my network is setup now is that my cable modem is plugged into a wireless router (linksys) and one of the 4 outgoing ports is plugged into a wired bridge which has more 4 more ports. The wireless bridge is way outside of the range of the wireless, so I can't get a wireless signal on that side of the house. So is there a way to have 2 wireless spots on the same network? I've tried to look for wireless bridges, but nobody really understands what I'm trying to accomplish. Any input would be appreciated.

I don't think that will help, I've had one of those in the past. They only work if the area you are in is able to pick up the wireless signal and then boost it. The area I'm talking about doesn't even pick up the network. What I meant by bridge is more aptly described as a 4 port ethernet switch. http://4portethernetswitch.cheaptransceivers.com/linksys-etherfast-cabledsl-router-with-4-port-switch-befsr41-router-4-port-switch-ethernet-fast-ethernet-external/

You are correct, you have to place the wireless repeater in a spot where it still can get the signal. I do not know exactly what the situation of the building is, so let me ask a few questions:

Is your desired destination location on the same level, or it is like upstairs or downstairs?

Do you have any intentions to maybe use other means of transport media? Like either being able to pull an ethernet calbe between the two locations, or transport your network via powerline?

A quick mspaint drawing of the layout and the approx range of the current router would be greatly appreciated. With a better picture in mind I can think of probably more ways to get to a working solution.

cheers,

luhny

The locations are on same level, just very far apart. more than 100 foot. There's an ethernet cable running to this dead wifi area from my router. I have wired internet here but I want to be able to have wireless because having 25 feet ethernet cables all over the floor is getting old.

wirelessinternet.png

Ok, so taking the cable modem into consideration as well I take it the setup looks like this?

wlan1.png

If that is the case, how about moving the wireless router to where the 4-port switch is, just leaving the cable modem all alone, connected with your long cable. this would move the obvious wlan area to where you are actually need it:

wlan2.png

IF you still need wireless access in the area of the cable modem, then you can leave the wireless router there and use a simple access point that you connect to the 4-port switch, thus using the access point as a kind of network bridge to get rid of the direct cable to the laptop.

This accesspoint can broadcast a different SSID, no problem whatsoever, just make sure that you still get your DHCP addresses from the wireless router so that you stay in the same local network (IP-wise) to still be able to surf the net (or you configure the IPs manually, what only a few people do on a WiFi Interface of a laptop).

Ugh, my post is kinda messy, I hope you could understand what I was babbling about. :|

I still do need wifi where the cable modem is, yes. The access point plugged into the bridge sounds good. I'll be honest, I don't really understand all the IP stuff, but I could probably figure it out. so an access point like this could potentially replace my switch and add wireless, it seems. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/D-Link+-+Xtreme+N+Duo+Wireless-N+Bridge/Access+Point/9358045.p?id=1218090589240&skuId=9358045&st=acess%20point&cp=1&lp=1

You posts were very informative and extremely helpful. Thank you very much.

The locations are on same level, just very far apart. more than 100 foot. There's an ethernet cable running to this dead wifi area from my router. I have wired internet here but I want to be able to have wireless because having 25 feet ethernet cables all over the floor is getting old.

wirelessinternet.png

Just get another wireless router (set to router mode rather than gateway mode), put it in the switch's place and use the same SSID but a different channel (like say for instance if the main router is using channel 6, use channel 1 or 11 for the new router) just to rule out the two possibly interfering with eachother if you put a device between the two.

• 4 weeks later...

So I ended up buying one of these http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-Refurbished-Wireless-G-Access-Point/dp/B002VB5JCA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1301341031&sr=8-2 The price was right, and hopefully it doesn't die. I just plugged it into my wired switch and its all been working like a charm. Thank you so much to everyone in this thread. Thread can be locked now..