OCR01300 - Super C "Against the Rest"

djpretzel

At last, this masterpiece arrives in OCR!!! I've discovered this remix in another-video-game-remix-site-that-I-will-not-name-here for about a month ago and WOW!!! It rocked my socks real hard and it continue to do so. Highly recommended to all mankind. Rock on BrainCells, rock on! 8)

Congratulations BrainCells! I've become a great fan after I listened to this excellent arrangement. Super C was awesome despite being less popular than the original, it deserves some recognition at least. And here it is.

I hope to hear more from you. Kudos to this man.

After listening to my "Lamb of God" CD this just doesnt sound heavy enough. Then again nothing does when you compare it to LoG but thats not the point.

Really, this track didnt impress me much. It repeated to much and sounded like it came from a badly copied disc. This is one of those very few mixes I dont like.

It manages to establish the original tune, expand on it some, and still not outstay its welcome. The guitar playing is awesome, which is something people have come to expect from these types of mixes. The drumwork is also stronger than usual, especially around :47 - that brief break before the mix resumes rocking is one of the little things that distinguishes this mix from a lot of the other "NES-metal" mixes. And while it may not incredibly different in the end, it's well executed nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

With this mix there's about 3 seconds of warning that this is one massive heavy fest throughout, before the guitars rip through your ear drum and chisel you out a new cerebral cavity.

It took me a little while to get used to such an abrupt intro, but once that was behind me I couldn't get enough of this mix. Fantastic stuff, definetly worth 3 minutes of your life (or make that 300?).

• 1 year later...

Great tone and playing. Some heavy rhythm, and some great shredding leads. I especially enjoyed the brief interlude with the military snare patterns before the solo section. Some really nice runs in there.

Overall a nice and tight arrangement. Compact and filled with some delicious riffage, then deep fried and served with sour cream and salsa. Mmm

Ok, I think it might be time for lunch.

• 1 year later...

Unlike a lot of chiptunes transformed into monsterous heavy metal mixes, I still think this one retains all its videogame music roots. The realism is there, but this sounds like a videogame melody, which is in no way a negative statement. Usually the faithfulness to videogame music arrangement is the first thing stripped away in order for a heavy metal remix to sound realistic enough. I really love how this retains those quick and complex choruses that make it unmistakably game music.

That's not to say it sounds like it is out of a NES game. I'm not insane. The guitar work is absolutely stellar, while not excessively hard and loud, are more than suitable for me. A rocking mix born out of a lot of talent and some great creative decisions. Terrific work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Man, right from the start this one is pretty brutal. 

Excellent guitar tone, some intelligent playing and nice changeups. The fill at 0:40 is masterful. Some of the soloing, especially at 1:11, is awesome. Kinda makes me sad that BrainCells hasn't put anything out on the site for almost a decade now. 

The drums can feel a little weak at times, but the tight arrangement and mixing definitely fuel the remix more than enough and it's easy to overlook the use of a drum machine. Really like this tune. 

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01300 - Super C "Against the Rest"