Chrono Trigger 'My Palace'

Rockos

Well, never say never - this is a pretty neat track with tight production and seems to have a good amount of direction.

You can't take it back (since you used tindeck :P), but if I were to make changes I would be sure to make the source more recognizable, there - most likely you'll get nailed for that, 'cause I can't hear any Chrono Trigger in there. It's a pretty well known soundtrack, so if I can't hear the source in there it's probably not in there enough.

For the genre, I think it sounds pretty good. Production is tight and the soundscape is neat (I think there could be some more mids in there to fill the space better though, personally). I'm not a big dubstep guy, though, so someone else should back me up here that'd be great.

Well, I'm not much of a dubstep fan (generally) either, but I am an avid Chrono fan. And in your defense, I can hear some Chrono in there, though I will also admit that there could be more. For example, in that first part (where I'm pretty sure you were inspired by the Undersea Palace bass line), you could have a run or two of the original melody to start off, to show how it lead to the more original variant that you then continued.

And I would also agree that there could be more mid-range things - possibly some more traditional instruments, or a synthesized keyboard or something. But, for this style of music, your production is really good so far - most songs that follow this style just lay down a ton of bass and it gets all muddy. Well, those are my thoughts, hope they help.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe I got too much into it that's why the source is not distinct. But a good ear will surely recognize it.

Subtle stabs at your critics ear is biting the hand that feeds you, bro. It's more accurate than you think - the reason I didn't recognize anything is because the source really is non-existent, especially if the listener doesn't have any point of reference (like me, at the time). The middle has a little of the Ocean Palace in the middleground, but that's it (the descending line later is a common musical gesture - calling that Magus is deceptive, especially when those aren't the notes in Magus' song).

And yes, I hear what you're trying to do with the source (like at the beginning), but changing the notes by that much really turns it into something completely different. It's not a bad thing, but it's not something that OCR would accept, either. The source needs to be readily apparent if you want this to be on OCR.

Not agreeing with the feedback is fine, but it's not alright to direct personal insults at the benefactor, no matter how subtle they are. Watch what you say next time.

IMO, the drums are too quiet and should be brought to the front of the mix.

I'm not sure if this is meant to be that wubwubwub style of stuff, but it seems that the wub sounding thing is really loud whenever it's there.

There actually seems to be quite a few cool ideas here, but it's hard to hear most of it because of balance issues. I'd recommend bringing the drums and leads to the front and leaving the other stuff behind it.

• 2 weeks later...

I can hear the source quite a bit more prominently in the track. I'm not sure if it's enough, since I still really lose a sense of the source overall, but perhaps someone else would be kind enough to help clarify this for me?

Try putting the track under 'Mod-Review' - that way you'd have another set of opinions let you know how your track sounds :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a small suggestion, you have too many high frequency synths playing at the same time. Not a bad thing but it makes it a bit difficult to concentrate on the track. Why don't you replace some of them with something low? Plus it's very hard to grasp the "pattern" of the track as it currently sounds. Some of those glitches felt out of place/timing.

Also, even with so much stuff happening, I felt it wasn't able to provide any atmosphere. To solve this, either introduce some ambiance fx or introduce more low frequency stuff to fill in those quite places.

Plus you should've got a lot of suggestions from the evaluation, right? Better fix those first :D

Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome, Undersea Palace remixed in dubstep!

I have not listened to your previous versions, but I can definitely hear the source in your latest version. The very first seconds of the intro are kind of weak, but that is quickly remedied and I am really digging the intro from 0:09 and on. I think you bass synths are great, and the beats are pretty pumping. Maybe your snare can be a bit more pronounced/harder? The lead coming at about 0:38, is kind of lo-fi and dry, and I would swap it for something more interesting. I would also change up the melody a bit more and make it funkier. How, I can't say, since I would just play around with it and make it rhythmically more interesting for dubstep. The dynamic change at 0:53 is a good idea. However, once again, I would say the lead synths could be more interesting. That transition to Magus's theme starting at 2:10 is pretty cool. At 2:53, I would bring the track back to full power (something like you have in the intro 0:20-0:30) and maybe go through a funked up main undersea palace melody one more time before the ending.

All in all, I think the intro and the magus theme transition are the strongest and most interesting parts of the mix. Other sections could definitely use some work to make this mix really shine. It's not that it's bad, au contraire, I like it. I just can see more potential in it.

I have remixed Undersea Palace before, but your mix gave me some ideas and I might actually do another version of it.