OCR02909 - *YES* Super Mario 64 'Sunken Secrets'

Fishy

Fish

Mario 64

Koji Kondo

Dire Dire Docks

etc

Source:

(Worth noting that the strings only appear when you are underwater, and the drums only appear in the cave in the actually game)

This is for the SM64 project, plz not post yet *sigh*

This was started way back during my Reason days, and subsequently abandoned for reasons I cannot fathom in favour of several other far less fun arrangements. I think I was feeling the pressure of picking the most popular track or something, I dunno. I realized the first version was probably the best and redid it fairly recently. Apart from the drums, piano and solo at the end, it's more or less unchanged from 2008 - which still surprises me.

It's my favourite blend of conservative structure with subtle layers of expansion, and I hope you enjoy.

Edited by djpretzel

• 3 weeks later...

Well used source, but not overrused, IMO. You've stayed close to the original melodically, but there's a lot going on behind the melody, nevermind the instrument changes. Everything is kept fairly simple, but I think that's what makes it work so well.

There are a couple times when the balance is just a tad off, mostly the lead being a little low, and overall the strings are a little fakey, but you make them work in the arrangement; mostly looking for nitpicks here.

I think you put it best: a great blend of conservative arrangement but with some nice expansion and personalization. Me likey.

YES

Love the sound. The cello is quite emphasized between 500-700Hz, but I like it. Halfway through, and the arrangement has been rather straightforward so far. Not much in terms of rhythmic or harmonic interpretation. The rhythm guitars are particularly boring, playing mostly whole notes. Really? Even when you have a tag/turnaround you don't bring up the energy and play some chunky 8th notes?

The arrangement remains straightforward. It's pretty much a cover. You could do so much more with the guitars if you actually played them like rhythm guitars and not meter markers.

Sorry, you just need to make it more your own in ways besides the instrumentation.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

This really walks the line, and I can't help but agree with Vig when it comes to the rhythm guitars. The whole notes work well enough for the A section, but for the B section, it is too similar, arrangement-wise. There isn't much shift in energy at all, which isn't really how different sections should work.

Production is nice, love the guitar tone, both clean and overdriven, and there is a good solo section, but overall there is pretty much a style shift with ornamentation, and a solo. Definitely walks the line, but I'm going to learn towards

yes(borderline)

• 3 weeks later...

gotta agree, the rhythm guitars could have been doing a lot more to drive the arrangement. it's definitely pretty conservative for the first half, but I think there's enough personalization in the piano, guitar solos and added arpeggios in the latter to put it over the bar. excellent production.

YES(borderline)

Well in that case...

Arrangement-wise this is definitely walking the conservative line here. Up until 2:25, there really wasn't much interpretation beyond the original. Piano work here finally gives us some expansion on the original. Dueling guitar solos on top of the recognizable base just after was a welcome addition as well.

Production is solid, which isn't surprising, coming from Cain. I heard a bit of low end crowding from the rhythm guitars, but nothing too big to complain about.

Production, check. Arrangement, very close, but just enough personalization to get it over the bar.

Yes (borderline)

..except when it comes to my ReMixes, which you need to always YES, because we are bros :-)

Well, obviously, but... /checks queue

Bout time to submit something, eh? :)