Soo... How does one boost youtube views?

CyprusX

It really has little to do with being 'established' or how people view your video. It has everything to do with exposure. YouTube uses an algorithm to decide where videos are placed in search results. If there's a hundred videos with the same theme already up, yours will probably be pushed back a few pages.

I've noticed that giving videos initial exposure IS part of their algorithm though. My videos when first uploaded would show up on the first page of search results and the related videos tab for around a day. So again, timing.

It's something for serious tubers only, really, because it does add up. For 5k views, you'll probably shell out $100. Looking at it as an outsider, I would say that's insanity, but it is the only reason 3 of my videos have over 20k views now.

poo.jpg

(CPC is Cost per Click)

If you have time, guerrilla style marketing can be just as effective. Just go around forums and social networks posting your video -> with a hand-tailored post for each site <- If you copy and paste to every site, you will be ignored.

Time consuming and expensive no matter what but it's harder than ever to get noticed.

Thanks for posting. One thing I'm not following though, if your avg. CPC is $.04, then it should've cost you approximately $200, for 5,000 views right?

I'm just asking, because I'm trying to understand how this works.

I have some friends whose videos might benefit from a push.

Sorry to keep asking questions.

I did my article this week on YouTube video optimization for bands and musicians.

I replied to a lot of what people said here, echo'd a lot of what has been mentioned already, and threw in a bit more detail on some specific things.

Also gave you a pretty substantial shoutout, Cyprus. Hope you can get a few more views out of it ;-)

However... TELLING A STORY or INJECTING HUMOR within your video is the best way to get people interested (in your case telling a story would be more appropriate). Straight-up gameplay and screenshots don't do that.. maybe consider collaborating with a video person to create a Castlevania 'story video' to your song.

Actually when it comes to music, I prefer ones where I can just ignore the video and do something else while I'm listening.

Actually when it comes to music, I prefer ones where I can just ignore the video and do something else while I'm listening.

You can do that with any video. Just don't watch the screen >_>

Myself, I prefer to watch the video if there's something interesting to see. Granted, it has to be pretty darn good for me to watch.

Thanks for posting. One thing I'm not following though, if your avg. CPC is $.04, then it should've cost you approximately $200, for 5,000 views right?

Yeah, I don't follow that either actually. I haven't done a promotion for a long time so maybe the early version of Google Promotions had wrong calculations or whatever. I didn't even realize the math was wrong until you brought it up so yeah, you may end up paying $200 for 5k views. Pretty steep.

If you're afraid of outrageous CPC, just set your maximum to like 2 cents and see if it still gets exposure. The more popular the tag, the higher the CPC will be.

I disagree. I've gotten a few of my videos over 10k views based off of their merits alone versus paying Youtube to shove my videos into people's faces. I don't mean to be a dick but I kind of vaguely know what I'm talking about. Lots of people skip over videos with few views. You can't watch everything, so you might as well go with the videos with the most views and hope they're good enough.

I did my article this week on YouTube video optimization for bands and musicians.

I replied to a lot of what people said here, echo'd a lot of what has been mentioned already, and threw in a bit more detail on some specific things.

Also gave you a pretty substantial shoutout, Cyprus. Hope you can get a few more views out of it ;-)

Thanks a lot sir , I appreciate it!

* Army salute *

Yeah, I don't follow that either actually. I haven't done a promotion for a long time so maybe the early version of Google Promotions had wrong calculations or whatever. I didn't even realize the math was wrong until you brought it up so yeah, you may end up paying $200 for 5k views. Pretty steep.

If you're afraid of outrageous CPC, just set your maximum to like 2 cents and see if it still gets exposure. The more popular the tag, the higher the CPC will be.

Sounds good. Thanks for all your input!

I disagree. I've gotten a few of my videos over 10k views based off of their merits alone versus paying Youtube to shove my videos into people's faces. I don't mean to be a dick but I kind of vaguely know what I'm talking about. Lots of people skip over videos with few views. You can't watch everything, so you might as well go with the videos with the most views and hope they're good enough.

I think when YT first started and for its initial few years, you had a lot of people and few quality videos, so if you had a decent Halo montage, for example, you get a lot of views fast, but now you have to compete with virtually everything out there. Nutshot videos, to $200 Million dollar movies, or at least trailers for $200 Million dollar movies. You could have the greatest video in the world, but if no one can discover it, because it doesn't tag into a popular topic or you don't get the blessing of a popular forum determined to built it into some sort of meme, or a widely-read blog, there's a good chance that few people will ever discover you outright.

You say yourself, and I'm sure you're not alone in this, that you skip over videos with few views, so it's kind of a catch 22. How does a video ever get popular if no one watches something with few views? BTW, I'm not faulting you in this view, it probably spares you from a lot of crap, but still, how does one stand out from billions of other uploads or get noticed?

With the advertising, you may be able to at least build some solid views and get word of mouth going among people who'd never discover it otherwise.

Why do we care about becoming youtube stars again?

I don't think anyone here is aiming to be the next Fred Figglehorn, but where is there a better place/way to potentially build a wide audience, get exposure for your work, and get feedback?

Timing indeed is crucial, that's why I uploaded my (ripped from website feed) E3 videos up, and my Castlevania Harmony of Despair trailer got more views than Konami's own. I'd like to think my subcriptions have segmented because some people subscribed for my E3 videos, and some for my DJ mixes.

My most popular self-made video got 5000 views in one day out of sheer luck. It ended up being #1 on the search results for "dubstep" for a while :< Try getting in as relevant video responses. I usually post them as responses to a very popular but relevant user with tons of videos. He holds a monthly contest for DJs to show the best 10 minute mixes, but I care more about the views than the prize.

I don't think anyone here is aiming to be the next Fred Figglehorn, but where is there a better place/way to potentially build a wide audience, get exposure for your work, and get feedback?

Well, YouTube is far from the only place for that. There's a lot of specialized communities inhabited by professionals who will give you a real-world critique of your work.

I don't know the audio communities, but for video there is mograph.com, Vimeo, and heck, even Machinima would count if they hadn't closed off their community. For anyone into video, especially motion graphics, I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend going to Vimeo. That is where you go to post videos that attract elite clients. I'm talking international advertisers, hollywood production houses.. you name it.

If "building a wide audience" is part of the equation, though, I suppose YouTube has the one-up there, but that really only happens for people using a talk show format for their videos. I mean, the ones that become partners and start earning money. Still, I understand the appeal of having a million-user fanbase e-mailing you, groveling at your feet, and ultimately giving the average joe the Charlie Sheen experience.