OCR02195 - Pokémon Gold Version "Champion's Horizon"

djpretzel

my personal favourite of the entire album, this remix brings me back to my final years of high school where this game had took up so much of my free time and i felt an overwelming wave of nostalgia that the first time i heard it. well done will you have created a masterpeice, pure and simple.

• 8 months later...

i'll quote myself from the evaluation, because it bears repeating:

"POW POW POW POWWWWW that drummer must have arms of granite to do those BRUTAL sidesticks at the beginning. The volume of those is off the charts ridiculous."

I loved the soloing in this track, and while it definitely felt more like "Willrock with a pokemon flavor", rather than the other way around, I enjoyed the track quite a bit, and there was enough pokeymanz involved for it to be obvious what game it's from. I especially loved the ending, with the guitar and synth intertwining several melodies, and Drummer McBrutalSauce pounding away at that snare, before the quiet fade. :-)

I love everything about the sound design except the drums for some reason (then again, I've always been iffy when it comes to your drums, and I'm getting the feeling its just a personal bias). The kick and snare inparticular are standing out as just not sitting well in the mix. The bass also isn't very present on either my headphones or my monitors. That's normally your style though.

Everything else is kickass though, as usual. Great solos and top-notch production. Keep up the good work!

(then again, I've always been iffy when it comes to your drums, and I'm getting the feeling its just a personal bias)
I honestly don't get the hate on Will's drums. I don't think they sound realistic as such, but they're punchy, sharp and perfect for the genre.

I like 'em Will, and I think this was one of the best songs on the Missingno Tracks! :D

I honestly don't get the hate on Will's drums. I don't think they sound realistic as such, but they're punchy, sharp and perfect for the genre.

I like 'em Will, and I think this was one of the best songs on the Missingno Tracks! :D

Yeah, trust me, I don't get it either. It's just one of those personal preference thingies. I wouldn't say they are BAD or even ADEQUATE to any extent, they definitely work. They just detract from my personal enjoyment of the mix in-total. It's the old To-MAY-to vs. To-MAH-to argument.

That being said, this was definitely a highlight of the album.

I have only three words to begin with: Crazy. Ass. Solos. Seriously, the stuff you did with your guitar was simply awesome and I liked the drums, myself, especially since seemed to bring it hard and punchy and they fit the 80's style here. I enjoyed the piano segments and the little Pikachu thing at the end. Kinda skirted the line with the liberal nature of the ReMix, but no worries, cause you pulled it off.

Good ol' WillRock. I do however sense that old influence given that it shares similarities with even "Green Chills" over at the source, but even then the arrangement ideas are very strong.

What he did was taken the overly-happy Route 26 melody and gave it something that sounds somewhat more ominous and more lethal, literally taking the phrase "the road to being a Pokemon master is not easy" to a completely new height. :razz: It may have been manipulated much, but I managed to sense a good amount of the melody for it to work throughout. The synth and guitar solos to me sound crazy, along with some very precise fingering that really show how much of the 'rock' he brings in his name. I even like how it even started shifting to a more happy and victorious setting closer to the original at 3:20 as well, reflecting on my above quote even more and telling us that we may go through a lot of crap, but the goal at the end feels so GOOD!

Strange philosophy, but that's how I feel about it.

Production wise it hit the spot; it may show age now in comparison to Will's other works, but the synths were well manipulated, the guitars had a clear vision, the plated Pikachu samples were awesome (albeit cheesy hehe), and the drums, while showing a synthetic nature to the writing, were well programmed and fit the purpose of the mix. Course, the guitars may have taken a considerable boost in recording quality since those days (something that I noted with "Friendly Fire" for the Super Dodge Ball project), but for its time it's really something to me.

So, quite a lot of things to say about it. Rocking, crazy synths, awesome arrangement, and even considered beautiful. You have done Pokemon a world of service, fellow Englishman :D

• 7 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02195 - Pokémon Gold Version "Champion's Horizon"