OCR02196 - Pokémon Sapphire Version "My Friend Mudkip"

djpretzel

I've been waiting for some good pokémon remixes. Missingno Tracks brought them and they brought with them one of my favorite regions! I really have nothing to complain about with this track. It stays pretty true to the source, while also going off a bit and adding on. Of course, this is halc, so it's not like something bad would be spit out. :)

So, joke is out, here is my real vote:

--------------------

I like what you've done here. The sources are both kinda laid back, and you take that just a bit further. There is nothing that's really wowing me throughout the mix, but it's not really intended for that. The arrangement of the two sources is nice, as per your usual.

Production, for what it is (meaning a mainly chip-tune song) is fine. Everything is clear, sounds balance with each other well, and the sound effects are used to a nice effect. No complaints on that end.

Overall, it's a nice track to listen to, and you did a good job arranging the sources.

YES

So, joke is out, here is my real vote:

--------------------

I like what you've done here. The sources are both kinda laid back, and you take that just a bit further. There is nothing that's really wowing me throughout the mix, but it's not really intended for that. The arrangement of the two sources is nice, as per your usual.

Production, for what it is (meaning a mainly chip-tune song) is fine. Everything is clear, sounds balance with each other well, and the sound effects are used to a nice effect. No complaints on that end.

Overall, it's a nice track to listen to, and you did a good job arranging the sources.

YES

Awww I almost wish you no'd it right there for epic lulz (no offense halc, ur mix IS good <3)

Cool little ReMix pulled off like only Halc can. By now, I've gotten used to his signature tune styles, but it's not a bad thing when he rocks in those styles as much as he does. This ReMix kinda makes me think that this is a 3.0 (maybe 2.5, not sure on that math) version of the originals, and it's amazing that you can bring about that type of feel to the song and still make it sound professionally great. Well, one thing is for sure: I lieked this ReMix.

• 8 months later...

Course, if you wrote a song about Mudkips, you're half-expected to get the lulz-type comments back. :razz: I'll keep civil though.

Typical of halc to go for a chip-tune-like track for something like that (though to me it sounds like the NES and Genesis are seen playing together here), but it fits so colorfully well within the world of Pokemon, and seeing the Dewford theme adapting towards this setting managed to set the stage for the ideas being presented towards the rest of the track in terms of its writing.

I give more credit to what you did with the surfing track in the second half though; that seemed to be more snapped apart and built as the foundation as something to build on for that period of time. It also took me a little while to adapt to you going for a hi-pass fadeout as opposed to a regular volume one, but again it's all down to creative decisions.

For an elder halc track, I found it rather enjoyable, blending together 2 aquatic sources in chiptune bliss. I'm set to see what you have for 2012! :)

I remember the night I first stumbled upon the website for The Missingno Tracks, months before the album was released. I was disappointed when I saw that only one R/S/E track was being remixed, but then I saw that it was Dewford Town, which was always my favorite... and then I saw that halc of all people was the one remixing it. Naturally, I was ecstatic and this track combined with a few others (specifically tracks from Gen II and IV) made the wait seem like eons. As in, I don't think I looked forward to any other OCR album nearly as much as I did for this one.

I don't think I stopped smiling at all when I first heard this track. It basically surpassed my expectations immensely and in turn helped 'make' the album for me, if that makes sense. I could probably write a book on how happy I was with many of the other tracks but maybe I'll save that for another thread. :)

This mix also gets huge brownie points from me for helping me get through a difficult personal situation a few months back -- I had one of the worst days of my life for reasons I'd rather keep personal, but I just put this on repeat and drifted into a dream-like sea of and nostalgic euphoria. That's the power of such a brilliant remix. Nostalgia, especially in relevance to Gen III, is vast like the ocean and comes and goes like the tides: prominent at one point and then recedes into the collective conscience of the mind as a wave crashes and becomes one with the sea again.

Thanks for creating one of my all-time favorite pieces of music, halc :D

I remember the night I first stumbled upon the website for The Missingno Tracks, months before the album was released. I was disappointed when I saw that only one R/S/E track was being remixed, but then I saw that it was Dewford Town, which was always my favorite... and then I saw that halc of all people was the one remixing it. Naturally, I was ecstatic and this track combined with a few others (specifically tracks from Gen II and IV) made the wait seem like eons. As in, I don't think I looked forward to any other OCR album nearly as much as I did for this one.

I don't think I stopped smiling at all when I first heard this track. It basically surpassed my expectations immensely and in turn helped 'make' the album for me, if that makes sense. I could probably write a book on how happy I was with many of the other tracks but maybe I'll save that for another thread. :)

This mix also gets huge brownie points from me for helping me get through a difficult personal situation a few months back -- I had one of the worst days of my life for reasons I'd rather keep personal, but I just put this on repeat and drifted into a dream-like sea of and nostalgic euphoria. That's the power of such a brilliant remix. Nostalgia, especially in relevance to Gen III, is vast like the ocean and comes and goes like the tides: prominent at one point and then recedes into the collective conscience of the mind as a wave crashes and becomes one with the sea again.

Thanks for creating one of my all-time favorite pieces of music, halc :D

wow, you're absolutely welcome! that's quite a lofty review; very glad to hear that the track resonated with you on a deeper level. thanks!! :)

I absolutely love this mix; it has a really pretty tone and an uplifiting melody. There are a lot of jokes about Senor Mudkip, but this track really has a great feeling of friendship and happiness.

Not to put down other artists who don't do it, but i'm really glad that halc specifically isn't afraid to make something beautiful. Great work, Drew. :-)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02196 - Pokémon Sapphire Version "My Friend Mudkip"