Secret of Mana: A Wish (v0.3 - 03/16)

mv

Hey guys,

Always been a fan of this track and I have so many different WIPs/styles for it haha, anyway I have started this tonight, this is just 2 hours of work so

I'll call it version 0.1 since it's just a start made in approx. 1h30 but I'm curious to hear if people like the style and mood for this. I will update this thread regularly, and yeah the beat doesn't change for now, I just pasted it all over the place as placeholder ^_^

Style is ambient/glitch.

ORIGINAL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLK8IrYrZxA

---------

V 0.3 (03/16/2011): http://xavierdang.com/dump2011/mv-somwishrmx2011_v0.3.mp3

see last post for details.

V 0.2 (03/15/2011): http://xavierdang.com/dump2011/somwtf-01.mp3

V 0.1 (03/03/2011): http://soundcloud.com/xavierdang/som-awishremix-v0-1

I like what you've got going so far - it'll be very interesting to see where you take this. Your instrumentation is appropriate and effective (the percussion in particular is praiseworthy) but I do have a minor nitpick. In my opinion the cello/bass articulation is too strong. I think a softer, more rounded attack for the low strings would be a better match for the gentle nature of the piece; your excellent percussion work is more than capable of keeping the groove going by itself.

Thanks a lot everyone for the many kind replies!

FunkyEntropy you make a valid point, I will definitely try to alter the attack/sound of the bass in my next WIP because I'm also unsure if it's the best choice for it.

Anyway no new WIP for a couple of days since I have mastering to finish on an OCR project track and also some short clips to make for a TV show :D Thanks again, will update this fo 'sho!

Aww thanks Darangen! Damn there's a name I haven't seen in ages, glad to see you're around and I hope all is well :)

Funny thing is that now I'm contemplating a Mass Effect 2 remix.. Maybe that's why I haven't submitted in 6 years, I have my musical mind going in too many places and never settling down :|

Version 0.2

notes:

· I actually have another version in which I followed FunkyEntropy's advice on having a smoother bass with longer attack, but for some reason doing that absolutely screwed up the mixing/production aspect of the track, I'll have to look into it again later but it was definitely an interesting approach as well, sounded radically different.

· things that have changed since 0.1:

··· percussion has been varied a bit more.

··· added a bitcrushed drum pattern.

··· some additional bass hits for some transitions

· things to add/improve:

··· more use of the stereo field (arpeggios/pad work/etc) (from SnappleMan)

··· might look into the smoother bass path again (from FunkyEntropy)

··· explore more glitch/experimental things, the track flows pretty conventionally right now which makes for a nice mood but things could be spiced up

··· include the rest of the track in a different manner.

Thanks for listening and always interested to hear more opinions, this has a long way to go before completion anyway :)

Vu que tu es français je me permet d'écrire dans cette langue.

Il n'y a pas grand chose à dire, à part que j'ai l'impression d'entendre un mix de Mass effect/Blade runner pour les sonorités et un thème de Secret of Mana bien choisi. La fin est abrupte, je trouve ça dommage,j'aurai pas dis non pour un peu plus de soundscaping. Mais rassure toi ça reste très bon, mes oreilles ont apprécié.

Voilà :)

HAha. I laughing cause it reminded my of the forest bramble blast in dk2. I love the ambience.

This song is right into my ears. Not much to say but very good job.

You should check at start. It seems to have a filter that goes very deep in low frequency. I don't know what is it and it's present mainly in the left ear. Or maybe i'm the only one to ear that? Dunno. Anyway. Nice job.

Et je savais pas que t'étais français ^^.

I like the bitcrushed drums you added :)

This seems like it'd be such a difficult track to arrange due to it already being such an ambient feeling. Kudo's on tackling this!

Thank you! :) I've been in love with this theme forever, I have endless amounts of WIPs in all kinds of styles for this track but nothing ever gets done. I think I'm at where I want to be with this one though and I have good ideas for what to add next :) Let's hope they transform into reality ^^

Vu que tu es français je me permet d'écrire dans cette langue.

Il n'y a pas grand chose à dire, à part que j'ai l'impression d'entendre un mix de Mass effect/Blade runner pour les sonorités et un thème de Secret of Mana bien choisi. La fin est abrupte, je trouve ça dommage,j'aurai pas dis non pour un peu plus de soundscaping. Mais rassure toi ça reste très bon, mes oreilles ont apprécié.

Merci beaucoup, j'adore ces 2 bandes-sons donc c'est un beau compliment. Sinon le morceau est loin d'être fini, au niveau de la durée finale j'espère avoir au moins le double et la fin est vide/abrupte sur ce mp3 car c'est encore en chantier pour l'instant :)

HAha. I laughing cause it reminded my of the forest bramble blast in dk2. I love the ambience.

This song is right into my ears. Not much to say but very good job.

You should check at start. It seems to have a filter that goes very deep in low frequency. I don't know what is it and it's present mainly in the left ear. Or maybe i'm the only one to ear that? Dunno. Anyway. Nice job.

Et je savais pas que t'étais français ^^.

Thanks! The glitch is happening because I rendered the WAV file when some bitcrushed/retriggered things were still being played in the back I think, it'll be an easy fix :) Et oui en effet ^^

Version 0.3 (03/16)

· things that have changed since 0.2:

··· added new part and embellished previous ending part (still not finished)

··· added siney synth and voice staccatos as well as middle-eastern strings

··· enhanced some minor mixing/production aspects

· things to add/improve:

··· more use of the stereo field (arpeggios/pad work/etc) (from SnappleMan)

··· might look into the smoother bass path again (from FunkyEntropy)

··· strings need to stand out more, might change the library for the higher string melody.

··· need to variate the percussion more in the second run, it is using the same sequence than the first part

··· start building either a climax or relaxation part to slowly reach the ending, there are still a few sections of the original tune i can exploit anyway.

Thanks for listening and please let me know what you think/what coul dbe changed.