PRC190 - Dr. Wily Returns (Mega Man 10). Voting Stage. (Ends 23-03)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 190

PRCv8-08

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

It's already the eight PRC of the eight season. A good moment to change the concept a little. Last PRC, Hylian Lemon and Obtuse found some time to remix the source of PRC189; Mario Kart - Koopa Cape. Two songs, so there was a voting stage (it's been a while). Hylian Lemon wins the round with only first place votes. The source is selected very fast, so there's one extra day to remix!!

Changed concept

Like stated in the last round, I decided to change the concept of PRC. From the first seven rounds of the eight season (PRC183+), only two rounds had two or more entries, most of them where posted in the extention. That's why I from now on make the Remixing time longer. Starting this round, you have 14 days to remix the source. The voting stage will be longer as well (5 days). The total time of one round is now three weeks instead of two. This means there aren't 26 PRC's in a year, but only 17 or 18. A PRC season will still have 26 PRC's, so PRC208 is the next anniversary edition.

Hylian Lemon selected the source for this round:

I'm gonna choose Wily Stage 2 from Mega Man 10 (Wii/PS3/Xbox 360, I think?). Some of that soundtrack was kind of hit-or-miss, but I think this is a pretty safe choice

PRC190.jpg

Mega Man 10 (Wii) - Dr. Wily Stage 2

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit

MID File

The game Mega Man 10 is released for Playstation Network (PSN) and XBox Live Arcade (XBLA) as well.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC instructions

1. If you happen to be mixing this song already, start over in the interests of fairness.
  2. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 6MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed (only as Bonus Mixes).
  3. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by MONDAY MARCH 21st at 10:59 am ThaSauce time: check my signature (below) or the ThaSauce page for the exact time left. 4 DAYS EXTENTION
  4. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix. You can post it in the thread if that doesn't work.
  5. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted.
  6. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  7. The winners of PRC189, Hylian Lemon, can't take part, but his vote counts twice. He's also allowed to submit a bonus mix.

Doulifee's PRC Archives! For information about the previous contests.

PRC

• 2 weeks later...

I think this should be monthly competition. I am still mad nobody did my request. Maybe if its monthly we can win a prize like a sample pack or something. Nothing big, this might bring more people into the compo. To me compo is a challenging learning process since I suck at it.

I think this should be monthly competition. I am still mad nobody did my request. Maybe if its monthly we can win a prize like a sample pack or something. Nothing big, this might bring more people into the compo. To me compo is a challenging learning process since I suck at it.

There's one week more as usual already (started this PRC). It didn't work this time, but I hope next PRC will get more interest.

Extended with four days, new deadline monday 21st.

I think we should schedule a PRC listening party.

It gives people insta-feed back (which is what most of us are looking for), and it's fun for socializing and general wackiness. I know that's part of what's so appealing about the OHC; which happens once a week, but sees a HUGE turn out. If the PRC stuck to its you-have-one-week-to-remix-this-song, and then the listening party happened at the end of said time period, I'm sure plenty of people would put that in their schedules (and maybe even hastily load something up). Also the listening party allows you to remind people of the next event and remind people to vote.

Another thing the PRC is lacking is publicity.

I feel there was a steep decline in PRC participation when OCR forums decided to create a competition thread. Hell...this is the FIRST time I've even looked at this sub-forum in...I think two years! A lot of new OCRians don't even know what the PRC IS! which is horrible. Maybe if you attended the OHC listening party and then did what JHsounds does (SPAM THE FUCK OUT OF HIS COMPO) then the PRC would see more participation simply due to increased awareness.

As for a month long remix period, (I case you couldn't tell) I disagree. Giving you just one week forces you to sit down and remix, if you run into a problem you have to overcome or workaround cuz you don't have all the time in the world to dick around. Hell, when I was participating I did most of my remixes the day of (which would probably explain why I never got first place). In fact, I'm thinking I might upload a mix for this particular compo, but I won't have time until tomorrow...which'll give me about a day to do it (hurray for maintaining tradition!). And it's that time crunch that I think is part of the challenge. Otherwise its just "hey do a mix when ever you get a chance to this obscure song and maybe someone will vote on it." Where's the fun in that!?

(I know I've moved into the rant zone, but I've been up for 24hrs and I don't care)

Not to sound like an old fogie, but I remember when we would actively comment and critique each others entries in the forum. This was ended cuz there was a concern a well written critique could sway votes. But it was those very critiques that helped me learn what people wanted out of my music! Without them, I just got upset and confused cuz I couldn't understand why I wasn't winning/getting more votes (no bull!)

I don't know. I know I'm rambling but I really do think that the PRC's biggest problems are A) nobody knows about it and B) there's no benefit to submitting an entry. Benefit's don't have to be actual prize. Just the chance of have 5, 10, or even 20 people hear your song is a benefit that most musicians will gladly give up a weekend for. I know that's what keeps me coming back to the OHC week after week.

OK...rant over.

@Munchi.

You are right, the movement to the Competition Thread was not very good for the publicity, I don't think many users visit this Forum (it's a small group).

PRC had a remix period of a week (a little more, 10 days or something) till this round. I decided to try a longer session. I don't want a PRC having none entries, so in many times an extension was a need. I hope making the time session longer gives more people time to create a remix. It's a test, when this doesn't work I might want to switch back to the usual format.

Another big problem is that I don't have time to keep bringing this under attention. One year ago I (and some others) tried to post the PRC threads at more sites, but that didn't work very well (except for one single round). Bringing it under attention in the OHC listening party might help, but the problem is I'm mostly not able to be around at these moments. It would be good if someone else, who has many time for free, to take care of this and maybe to take control for the complete competition as well. I'm in a simular situation as Rexy was three years ago; a lack of time to put many effort in this competition. If someone has interest in doing this, let me know.

Thanks for your post.

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. 2 entries are submitted.

To vote, you should do the following:

- Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries

- Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen.

- Fill in the rank of the entries from first to second. Leave the third box empty.

- State a reasoning for it.

- Participants are encouraged to vote. They aren't allowed to vote for themselve, but they receive an added first place if they vote + 1 Bonus Point. They only have to fill in the first place.

You have until NEXT Wednesday, March 23rd at 10:59 am ThaSauce time to vote, check my signature in the first post or simply the ThaSauce page for the exact time you have.

The winner gets the right to choose the source tune for PRC190.

The songs:

Gario - Wily Hits Hard Style

Chickenwarlord - Wily's Late Night Combo

I didn't realize it's already over. Timezones are different with switching black/forward the clock, I think. I'll check this better next round. Anyway...

It's results time.

The votes are in.

Total number of mixes - 2

Total number of votes - 5

Maximum Score - 16.

Chickenwarlord was really close for the victory, but one point makes the difference. He gets the last place wooden spoon with 13 points.

And PRC190's winner is Gario with 14 points!

Congratulations Gario. It was close, but your vote brings you the win. You may select the next source for PRC191.

Send your source to me (with a MID/MP3 file if you can) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer PM @Ocremix)

You may select any source from any game, as long as it doesn't have an Overclocked Remix and it hasn't been on PRC before. Check it at the list:

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).