Personal Project - My Firsts Works

Flo Jess

I'me going to present you my first works. Melody is my own composition.

Recorded from my piano.

Recorded from my piano.

My first composition with FL9, piano style.

I would like to know your comments about the melody. It's works in progress, so there are not any music effects.

Edited by Flo Jess

I do like teh piano tracks. :)

...and for what these are, they're good, but I would definitely like to see more instruments, playing the same melody, maybe have some strings for a nice background, especially "White Factory"...if nothing else, for the FL Studio version of it...you could add some reverb to the piano by pressing F9 and linking the piano track to the first track on the mixer. Then just add whatever effects you want.

I'd definitely like to hear more from ya. Good work. :)

Yeah, I really like these compositions! I worked on composing stuff on the piano before then adding instruments to it in a DAW, it's a very fun process, I've done that for two of my own songs so far. I really love Spider tower, despite my intense fear and hatred of daddy long legs. I can't wait to see what it'd sound like with other instruments!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the coms. Now, I've made a new music I shall have wanted to name "Poursuite", but finally it's "Dinosaur Chase".

And I plan to improve my two last musics as soon as I buy FL Studio 9 (maybe this week).

Edited by Flo Jess

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spider Tower sounds much, much better in the sequencer than it did before. Good instrumentation on it, but it's very dry. You need to process the sounds a bit more to make them more interesting and less vanilla. I can't help too much more with that since that's what I'm focusing on myself, the mixing side of things, but explore delay, reverb, and chorus effects especially, but don't forget about other mainstays like phasers and flangers. Each effect has limitless uses beyond just "delay" or "reverb". Often, they're used to add or remove stereo depth, thicken timbres, emphasize or attenuate frequencies, etc. Read up on this and see how you can apply it to improve the sonic quality of your tracks.

I understand you're inexperienced with drums, but a song like Laser Motorway, bearing closely in mind the connotations of the title, should be absolutely fucking spastic. The down-beat hat sample throughout the song didn't evoke any images of blasting down some crazy, looping future-highway at 23874 mph. The melody would sound great over a sweet, speed-metal kind of drumline commonly found in games like F-Zero... or anything with Japanese metal in it. Listen to the F-Zero soundtracks and feel free to blithely transcribe note-by-note whatever you hear and throw it right into Laser Motorway. Listening to drum tracks and painstakingly (at first) transcribing them may not be terribly fun, but you'll quickly realize how "motif-y" drums are. There are some VERY common ways drum loops are sequenced, and you'll quickly learn these through transcribing and be able to apply and adapt what you've learned. Another source that helped me a lot with this was just loading the drum loops packaged with FL studio into the Fruity Slicer and paying attention to how each was constructed. Same can be done in FPC.

Very general advice, I know, but I'm right there with you at the bottom of the learning curve, so hopefully this gives you some direction.

Spider tower is good but the buildup becomes repetitive near 0:30 and should instead be replaced after 0:30 with a melody of some sort.

Dinosaur Chase needs lots of percussion for it to be a true dinosaur chase. Also add a few embellishment riffs here and there and melodies.

White Factory was good but suggest at 0:27 adding or changing instruments, because it was hard to tell that was a new melody coming on. At 0:57 the arp sounded like it had some wrong notes but not sure. At 1:27 after the arp part was done I could tell you were trying to bring in the emotion but you should add something that leads in to it better.

Princess Tale was good but add more dynamics, too loud at times. also slow up the background arp during sad, emotional or reflective parts.

Castlecloud was good, suggest adding a metronome chanting choir though. Also suggest adding a transformation (changing some instruments, key, melody etc.) halfway through the song to maintain interest.

Laser Motorway was also very good, although maybe add some emotional riffs here and there. I think you are trying to convey the atmosphere of the motorway, and you did that very well. It would not work as the race music itself, which I do agree with Ectogonic on. Also maybe get rid of the last note of the first part of the melody.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It seems you've come quite a long way although (as always) there's an awful long way to go and that's the fun of it.

I would suggest (and this is a personal preference I suppose) moving away from 4 chord repetition progressions which only use traids - i find that most of your songs are essentially pop-songs with piano/strings/whatever else - i was most struck by this in Wizard's Mirror. Try using coming at a piece from a different perspective of "here's some chords - i'll repeat them and put a melody on top." Think about having longer phrases or less repetitions - my main issue with your musical material is repetition - and the harmonic content is uninteresting to me - try integrating extended chords - just experiment with adding extra notes to the triads you're already using. Try spreading out the harmonies a lot - don't have sections with just one note - it makes everything sound so thin. (I noticed this in aquatic base)

I think White Factory #2 is a great improvement from the first one though.

• Flo Jess changed the title to Personal Project - My Firsts Works