Zelda: OoT Lost Woods Classical Piano/Violin Duet

docnano

Great stuff. Reminds me of the piano arrangements of the FF soundtracks with all the liberal harmonic schemes and fun changes in time signatures.

If it's possible, I'd highly recommend bringing the violin out a bit more. If this was a two microphone setup it'd be possible, but on a single mic I don't think you could.

Very, very, very nice. Loved every second of it.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Yeah, mixing the violin has proven to be more challenging than I expected. I mixed the violin down a bit (and applied some EQing on the reverb) to avoid blasting people's ears with the high notes, but I can try to bring it out a bit more in places where the piano dominates too much.

Maybe Chris can comment as to his mic setup for the violin -- out of curiosity, why would a two mic setup make a difference? Soften the sound a bit?

Did you record this together or separate? If you recorded the violin and the piano separately than what I'm saying doesn't apply and you needn't worry - mixing is a piece of cake. However...

If you're recording together (which is what I assumed, although I could be wrong), with two mics it can sometimes be easy to raise the volume of the violin a touch by raising the level of the mic closer to the violin. Care needs to be taken since the piano will be in that mic, too, but it can help balance the sound when little tweaks need to be made. With one mic that's obviously not possible.

Did you record this together or separate? If you recorded the violin and the piano separately than what I'm saying doesn't apply and you needn't worry - mixing is a piece of cake. However...

If you're recording together (which is what I assumed, although I could be wrong), with two mics it can sometimes be easy to raise the volume of the violin a touch by raising the level of the mic closer to the violin. Care needs to be taken since the piano will be in that mic, too, but it can help balance the sound when little tweaks need to be made. With one mic that's obviously not possible.

Oh, ok. I thought you were talking about a two-mic setup (near and far) for the violin alone. We actually did record separately, so the mixing is much more straightforward. It's still tricky to bring the violin up too much without making it sound overpowering, but I'll play with it some more -- still early on developing my mixing skills...

-Thanks for the positive feedback guys, I'm glad it sounded together enough that it could be mistaken for being recorded at the same time, even though we are on different continents haha =)

-I'm using a condensor mic (ATM350) attached to my chin rest and just recording my bedroom, so we can alter the volume pretty easily. The violin part is really high up so it cuts through all the lower frequencies quite well, so I don't want to drown anything else out. But it's a good idea to go tweak a few things for better balance.

Very well done. You had a perfect balance between source and oc. Everything sounded fine to me as well.

One thing I noticed though was (and I don't know if this is the right word to use) the violin's syncopation. Not sure how to say it but when the main melody was played at around 14 seconds a note was skipped and the rhythm was very bouncy. I understand that this was done as interpretation but I found it unsettling at first. The feeling wore off as the piece went on.

I enjoyed this quite a lot though. Great work!

Oh my... just...

You guys are way too good. Fantastic take on the theme, it does drift away from the source quite a bit so I'm not sure how OCR-suitable it is... I could do a breakdown, but because of how awesome this is, I think you should just take a chance and submit it even if the source usage is borderline. This definitely needs to be heard, it's way too good!

Also, Chris, we need to collab sometime :-D

Fantastic take on the theme, it does drift away from the source quite a bit so I'm not sure how OCR-suitable it is...

Ack! Source usage is my bane. I should just try to do a straight cover, then the source content would probably come out perfect. :-P

Forgot to mention that the brief middle section on the piano comes from the Forest Temple theme. So, at least a tad more in there...

Anyway, glad you like it. :-)

Too many notes. :)

Just to be a pompous @$$, I believe they said the same thing to Mozart. :-P

Wow. Seriously loved it. Beautiful together, you two.

I gotta ask: do you write it all down or just play from memory?

Mostly memory, aided by MIDI recording. I don't make sheets or anything while composing, since it just seems to bog things down for me.

And Proto is right, it's quite romantic in style -- though I'd argue that "classical" can be used to encompass both the classic and romantic periods, so I think Theophany is in the clear. ;-)

Docnano? What rock did you crawl out of then? this is better than the average newbie work on ocr. In fact, i'd go as far as saying this is one of the best remixes i've ever heard, the arrangement is fantastic and the production is great, the piano and violin both sound perfect to me.

I've just done a source count, which is the only thing that would stop this from getting passed the panel at ocr. There is well over 50% source by my count, I'm 99% sure this will pass, if not get a DP. Sub it, it deserves the exposer, and you guys deserve a pat on the back for a job well done. Great job!

Docnano? What rock did you crawl out of then?

I'm actually a nanomachine colony that recently self-assembled in a laboratory in Southern Michigan. Hence my recent appearance. :D

Seriously, I've been playing classical piano forever, but only in the past year or so began composing stuff I'm happy with.

Thanks Will and everybody for the positive feedback, Chris and I have worked pretty hard on this one. We'll consult on any suggestions you all raised and then probably submit soon!