Double Rainbow (Rainbow Road Remix)

I'm a long time fan of video games and video game music, and I've been to OCRemix a number of times. This is my first attempt at a remix of any kind. It's based on the Mario Kart N64 arrangement of the Rainbow Road theme.

I put it together using Mixcraft 5. It's comprised of all virtual instruments, so some of the voices (especially the guitar) aren't of the best quality. I also put in dozens of sound effects from the game.

img.php?fid=1134

I'm still pretty new to thus so I could use a lot of advice. Call me a noob if you wish, but you gotta start somewhere.

Epiderminator

So, if you could just cut absolutely everything up to 3:32, that would be a start.

I mean, it starts a straight copy with some minimal added sounds on top and then goes into this big long sound effect solo that's, frankly, kind of obnoxious. Once you get into 3:32, you start actually changing what's already there and it sounds half decent.

It is pretty obnoxious, isn't it? Hahaha...

I agree completely. I think I'm going to have a hard time getting away from the original track. Before I started, I took the time to transcribe it by ear, and I guess I kind of worked it from there, adding the 'boom-whack' track and the synth parts and a few minor things.

I keep forgetting that remixing is more rehashing than embellishing.

Still, it's a first draft.

On a side note, do you think the use of game sounds is plausible, or is it too 'gimmicky?' I mean sparsely, not as a solo...

I have to admit, it was pretty blunt. Effective nonetheless.

I'm not going to hold it against you because, like I said, I'm new to this, and I'll be needing some negative feedback as well.

What do you think of the synth lines?

The first one one is an allusion to Dire Dire Docks (from Super Mario 64). The second one (during the guitar verse) is all original.

Speaking as another who is far from expert, let me offer my advice, more than my critique.

For starters, I agree on the sound effects. I think a few sound effects can work well, but at the same time, too many of them makes it feel more like its just a straight rip from the game. My personal preference is to try to include them in the music with a little riff that alludes to them, kinda like you did with Dire, Dire Docks.

Touching on that point, that little allusion you made to Dire, Dire Docks is one of the things you should keep doing. Not necessarily should you keep including parts of other songs, but remember this is your song. You need to make it original. For me, as my musical originality isn't the greatest, so this usually involves finding a similar tune or structure and trying to incorporate that into the original that I'm working with, and then as I try to blend them together, the stuff that comes out is genuinely my own. This may not work exactly for you, but create your own counter melodies, expand on the original melody, take parts that are normally hidden in the song and bring them out, or do whatever you can think of. If it helps, try to imagine that your trying to hide the original tune, and make whoever is listening search for it. Provide some easy snippits, but make some parts more original.

Production wise, this could still use some work, but as I can't do that part either, I'll stick to the arrangement side :)

Oh, and welcome to OCR. We're practically one big happy family.

What do you think of the synth lines?

The first one one is an allusion to Dire Dire Docks (from Super Mario 64). The second one (during the guitar verse) is all original.

They were okay. They don't change so much as they accent so, while they don't hurt, they don't really carry any weight.

• 2 months later...