"Theme of Super Metroid" (needs a title)

Turtle

Another foray into FL Studio. If music were drawing, this would be sort of like a doodle. It's pretty bare-bones, and I'm not sure I'm happy with the instrument choice for the melody, but overall, not the worst thing I've ever done.

Also I'm sorry because this song is one of the most overdone ever. I hope people here aren't too sick of it to listen to my take. Or at least one of my takes.

I doubt anyone needs a source link,

[Update]

Panning the kick is stupid. Really. Rhythm section could use some improved writing, less panning, more groove.

The buildup, which isn't bad, is too long, and there's room for some screwing with the bassline melody such as moving it to a different chord from time to time. Wouldn't hurt to have some references to other parts oft he source in there too, the intro gets old fast.

As for the main part, I don't see why you have to change the melody at all, there's nothing in the harmony of groove that needs it altered, so it sounds redundant as either done to try to meet ocr's creative standard or a failure to reproduce the melody accurately.

Sounds design isn't terrible, but it could use a bit of work. I'm less bothered by the choice of lead as with the sudden stops of the filtered synth (0:25 and on) (short release on the filter envelope and a little longer on the volume envelope and you should have solved this), or the weird arpeggio thing at 0:48. I can tell it's the same as the lead, but as a little side melody it's too bassy and too upfront.

So what's good? Until 0:48 it's got a pretty good build-up, and the subsequent breakdown and bringing in the main melody works all right. With a more intense part before the breakdown, and of course, more length, you should be able to put a pretty cool arrangement together. The core sound choices aren't bad, you'll just have to put each of them in the right places, volume/EQ-wise.

Also, this isn't nearly as overdone as, certain *ahem* caps. I mean tracks. :P

Panning the kick is stupid. Really. Rhythm section could use some improved writing, less panning, more groove.

Rhythm is admittedly not my strong suit. I'll try to work on that.

The buildup, which isn't bad, is too long, and there's room for some screwing with the bassline melody such as moving it to a different chord from time to time. Wouldn't hurt to have some references to other parts oft he source in there too, the intro gets old fast.

I was toying with shortening it a bit. I could think of a couple of places in which to do so.

As for the main part, I don't see why you have to change the melody at all, there's nothing in the harmony of groove that needs it altered, so it sounds redundant as either done to try to meet ocr's creative standard or a failure to reproduce the melody accurately.

I honestly was not aware that I changed the melody. Did I? I thought that was how the song went... >_>

I did consciously omit some of the notes though.

Sounds design isn't terrible, but it could use a bit of work. I'm less bothered by the choice of lead as with the sudden stops of the filtered synth (0:25 and on) (short release on the filter envelope and a little longer on the volume envelope and you should have solved this), or the weird arpeggio thing at 0:48. I can tell it's the same as the lead, but as a little side melody it's too bassy and too upfront.

I almost changed the part at 0:48. Almost. I'm not sure why I didn't in the end. Maybe I put it on my to-do list and just forgot about it? Anyway (stupid question incoming), what are filter and volume envelopes, in layman's terms? I know, I suck.

:oops:

So what's good? Until 0:48 it's got a pretty good build-up, and the subsequent breakdown and bringing in the main melody works all right. With a more intense part before the breakdown, and of course, more length, you should be able to put a pretty cool arrangement together. The core sound choices aren't bad, you'll just have to put each of them in the right places, volume/EQ-wise.

Definitely need to work on those things. Length is hard to achieve without making it too repetitive - I felt I was already pushing it with such a long intro in the first place. Mind you, I have a pathetic attention span.

I have next to no experience working with EQ or compression or anything more complicated than adding some reverb. Any more advice, as far as that goes?

Also, this isn't nearly as overdone as, certain *ahem* caps. I mean tracks. :P

Tell me about it.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and give your thoughts. I'll try to take them into account.