8.9 Magnitude Earthquake in Japan (7.4 aftershock/tsunami - April 7th)

big giant circles

Terrifying. It sounds like it didn't let up for quite a while.

The epicenter was offshore of Miyagi Prefecture, about 230 miles (370 kilometers) from Tokyo, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

Residents there continued to feel aftershocks hours after the quake. More than 30 aftershocks followed, with the strongest measuring 7.1.

I hope for the best for those affected by this disaster. It's quite a horrible event.

And also there's an emergency situation with evacuation warning at the Fukushima #1 Nuclear power plant, whose emergency cooling systems were damaged by the quake.

Luckily, the situation with it is nowhere near the severity of, say, Three Mile Island. Which wasn't an extremely bad event, either, contrary to public notion. The situation doesn't look to get worse, so I don't think there will be a large problem.

http://nyuhell.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/tokyomagnitude8_0.jpg

Again, reality overcomes fiction......

=(

This was pretty much one of my first thoughts after hearing about the quake.

Luckily, the situation with it is nowhere near the severity of, say, Three Mile Island. Which wasn't an extremely bad event, either, contrary to public notion. The situation doesn't look to get worse, so I don't think there will be a large problem.

Well, they're apparently having to vent potentially radioactive gas to decrease the pressure, so... I'd say that's pretty bad.

It is indeed bad but Halcyon is trying to look towards the bright side and that's good.

So I just woke up. It's 6:30 now. I had slept just fine until 4am when my wife's cellphone started beeping like a fire alarm. She an email to her phone saying that there would be an earthquake right here in Niigata. Just as soon as she finished reading it to me we started shaking. It wasn't that bad though. we turned on the news and it was in the Chuuetsu area of Niigata Prefecture, magnitude 6. we live in the next area over, Kaetsu, but it was only level 3 down here. So now I know what magnitude 3 feels like. I'm pretty sure I don't want to experience an 8.8 at this time.

So since the big one, there have been tons of these smaller ones hitting all over the place. How annoying. TV says they'll continue for about 1 month. It's times like this you feel really helpless.

Hopefully the worst is over like Halcyon said and things get back to normal soon. Thanks everyone.

I've been watching some of the videos posted on CNN. I can't watch the ones on Youtube, there are way too many idiotic people posting stupid comments. You know the kind, typical, idiotic American comments that show how disgusting people have become.

Back on topic, I hope, they can recover steadily from this. And my thoughts are with the people of Japan. I've never seen devastation this bad. I did relief work in Biloxi, Mississippi, and I know watching the news and seeing it with your own two eyes, is something else entirely.

God damn! already over 1,000 people dead or missing. ALL of Miyagi seems to be underwater. My wife's uncle lives out there and hasn't heard from him yet, so she's pretty worried about him. I STILL can't use my phone but my wife can use hers. It says that Okinawa and Kyushu area were both hit with some of tsunami water but there's no footage or talk of it so hopefully that means it wasn't anything serious.

I am really hoping this won't turn into Chernobyl V. 2 :(

It is looking kind of touch and go at the moment with that regard... as if everything else wasn't bad enough. I think they've said the radiation around the plants is already up eightfold.

There was something especially creepy about seeing buildings not only being swept along by muddy water, but being aflame at the same time...

It is looking kind of touch and go at the moment with that regard... as if everything else wasn't bad enough. I think they've said the radiation around the plants is already up eightfold.

There was something especially creepy about seeing buildings not only being swept along by muddy water, but being aflame at the same time...

Ugh

This is all just so surreal.

I've read some of the news articles coming off of Yahoo.com. I looked at some of the comments and it's pretty crazy to see that people still give thumbs down to comments of support and stuff. Why do people troll stuff like this? An event of this magnitude needs the support or best wishes of everyone tsk tsk.

Anyways hope this horrible incident gets resolved in a timely manner

I've read some of the news articles coming off of Yahoo.com. I looked at some of the comments and it's pretty crazy to see that people still give thumbs down to comments of support and stuff. Why do people troll stuff like this? An event of this magnitude needs the support or best wishes of everyone tsk tsk.

Welcome to the internet, where the best and worst of humanity collide.

Anyways, at least the explosion at the power plant was not nuclear:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/03/12/134482611/explosion-at-japanese-nuclear-plant-not-nuclear-no-meltdown

There is/was a rumor going around that Pokemon creator perished

340x.gif

Despite numerous reports on various social networking websites, Pokémon creator Satoshi Tajiri is still alive and is well.

Nintendo of America has also released a tweet stating:

“Thanks for your concern! During the earthquake no one at Nintendo in Japan was injured and there was no apparent structural damage.”

Hey guys. Looks like I really am RIGHT on the edge of some pretty deadly stuff. I've been told that there's a crack or something in a power plant leakiing in Fukushima and that it's releasing a cloud of chemicals into the sky. My wife's brother estimates that it will affect a 200 kilometer radius but Niigata (where I live) just narrowly escapes that. There was another earthquake last night but it was barely noticable. Just leftover tremors I guess. Kaori (my wife) was finally able to hear about her uncle. His building and his body are just fine. He's in an elementary school gym along with a large group of other evacuated people. Kaori's phone works and mine is still completely useless. Did I choose the wrong brand or something?

Aside from that, I don't believe there is really anything to add. It seems like you have seen all the same footage I have, including the whirlpool. This SUCKS!

I've been following the feed on http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

As far as I heard, the plant released a small amount of radioactive steam to keep the pressure under control. The incident itself is currently classified as 4 on the INES Scale (INES Level 4: Accident with local consequences)

1807: If radiation has leaked from the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant, winds will likely blow it out over the Pacific Ocean, says the French Nuclear Safety Authority: "The wind direction for the time being seems to point the pollution towards the Pacific," said Andre-Claude Lacoste, speaking in Paris.