OCR02201 - Animal Crossing "Mr. Soccerball"

djpretzel

Wow, yeeaaaahhh... as a diehard Animal Crossing fan, even I'll concede that this source tune is all kinds of WTF. I can't wrap my head around it, so the source connection in the remix is challenging for me comprehend. Thankfully, this mix REALLY works well on its own and is quite enjoyable. When the lower piano notes come in at 1:55, things really get going and the piano work going on over those chords is nothing short of fantastic.

Great job on your first solo mix TON, this is definitely one of my favorite pieces off the K.K. Setlist project! :-D

Dude, I think I have this from the aborted Animal Crossing Remix album as 'Mr. Soc'... was that intentional? Probably not, huh? Whoops.

Regardless, I loved that song then and still enjoy it now. Generally, anything with a lot of focus on piano is highly regarded by me, and this was done quite nicely.

Also: I didn't know the source was so wacky until I checked it now o_o

What ToN did to this song is like what happens in teen movies.

The nerdy outcast girl takes off her glasses and lets her hair down and then BAM instant superhunny. The source track is straight-up unlistenable to me, but the end result is excellent. Awesome work, dude, and welcome to the Animal Crossing remixer fraternity. :-)

This song makes me thing of Halo for some reason.

I used to have an Animal Crossing town until that one fateful day when my brother reset my town thinking it was his own (cause we had two copies of the game for DS)... meh. I restarted a new town, but eh...

Anymore the town feels---- Kind of dead. Its creepy to reload the game and wander around the town full of weeds when you know that nobody who used to visit the town bringing chaos and gifts... will ever come back to it... and... well to put it bluntly, this song just kind of fits that mood. Its a happy place, that has fallen into haunted memories, yet still retains its feel of happiness, persisting, even after death.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Given the high speed and wtf nature of the source material, I can't see it being remixed any other way other than the same goofy nature of the original.

But the approach taken here managed to change up the chords and fit it over something more surprisingly chilled. I can almost envision some kind of weekly sports recap being played over this, so I feel very down with the direction taken. Props also taken with the piano solo at 1:28, that really helped with the mood establishment and the progression since.

Albeit, in spite of this nice soundscape going, the sounds to me barely have much dynamics other than during the piano solo. The piano seems to be a dead ringer with the near constant velocities and perfect timings, but the writing on it is still good enough for it to be not quite as much of a big deal. But with what's been obtained it managed to fit the soundscape fittingly well.

All in all this mix surprised me simply by how serious you turned a silly sounding source tune into. I've been pleased to see your progress during the PRC and in later exhibitions, and so I'm hoping that you'll continue to keep taking your writing to higher levels; nice going, ToN :)

Ah, such a great job with the piano, making the entire ReMix nice and smooth. The little piano break was cool and had a bit of jazz feel to it. The whole arrangement itself was ace. It's got a nice little ambeant soundscape feeling that is perfect for a gift I'm setting up for a family member. Pretty cool how you can get this kind of ReMix from such a crazy source, but that's the beauty of it. Very nice.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I haven't played any of the Animal Crossing games or listened to the music, so basically I can just review it from solely a production and composition viewpoint instead of comparing it to the original...

Those games always struck me as super happy and colorful, so hearing a remix from those games that's as melancholy as it is is very unexpected and interesting. I love a good piano melody and this song has a great one. I find it fascinating how it has a swing feel and yet manages to sound a little dreary - everything "jazzy" I've ever performed was ridiculously upbeat or chill.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02201 - Animal Crossing "Mr. Soccerball"