Ice Cap Derrezed(does this sound like daft punk and sonic :D ? )

I know i said i was not leaking and posting in wip anymore, But i had a itch to give a preview of whats already half done >:o

(and i already posted this on soundcloud and jun s. fourms so might as well post it here)

http://soundcloud.com/aires/ice-cap-derezzed-wip-2 - wip 2

http://soundcloud.com/aires/ice-cap-derezzed-derezzed-for

source for the millionth time

• 1 month later...

You totally nailed the Daft Punk sound choices here, but your production isn't really packing the same punch. I can't tell if it's the volume problems (I've got my system volume maxed out and it still seems kinda quiet) or if you're just not mixing your instruments right, but something's off about this.

I think you get a little too ridiculous with the glitching and sidechaining on the melodies. That kind of stuff works better when used sparingly, it just doesn't have the same impact when it's this prominent.

The biggest problem with this arrangement, though, is DEFINITELY the repetition. It pretty much feels like it's just composed of several 1-bar sections repeated 4+ times in sequence, and put over a beat. The end result has a cool sound, but it gets boring to listen to without enough variation going on.

That should give you some directions to work on if you want to improve this. The sound choices are actually REALLY cool and totally work well for Ice Cap Zone, so I'd recommend working on your production/mastering as well as adding some more dynamics to the arrangement itself, cause this has lots of potential.

Good luck dude :-)

You totally nailed the Daft Punk sound choices here, but your production isn't really packing the same punch. I can't tell if it's the volume problems (I've got my system volume maxed out and it still seems kinda quiet) or if you're just not mixing your instruments right, but something's off about this.

I think you get a little too ridiculous with the glitching and sidechaining on the melodies. That kind of stuff works better when used sparingly, it just doesn't have the same impact when it's this prominent.

The biggest problem with this arrangement, though, is DEFINITELY the repetition. It pretty much feels like it's just composed of several 1-bar sections repeated 4+ times in sequence, and put over a beat. The end result has a cool sound, but it gets boring to listen to without enough variation going on.

That should give you some directions to work on if you want to improve this. The sound choices are actually REALLY cool and totally work well for Ice Cap Zone, so I'd recommend working on your production/mastering as well as adding some more dynamics to the arrangement itself, cause this has lots of potential.

Good luck dude :-)

thanks, and i think you mean the filter i put on the master, im not sure why i put it there (maybe cause i was to lazy to eq the highs, prob shoulda used a c4 :tomatoface:)

I could turn the gain up(which i was suppost to do) but i just did not want to re render this for 10 min in ableton XD

(also the track is not that repetitve, i copyed the repeats from the original:|, i say main stream house form.)

'Course, the point of remixing is to take the original and put your own spin on it. Saying that you don' want to change the arrangement 'coz it was repetitive in the original is a copout, as is saying "mainstream house form". Both of them are excuses, 'n' not good ones at that. That said, though, I don' really like the 40 second loop of the melody with no percussion, gets pretty boring. The drop is pretty nice, though. WIP2 is glitched or some'in, though, and I don't mean like glitching, I mean there are parts of no audio.

I like it! The transition from the intro to the main beat seemed a bit off for me. I would recommend an additional measure of the intro for good...well...measure.

And yes it does seem a little repetitive in the beginning, but as the song flows along, the repetition becomes less notable.

There's something really off with the timing of when the big bass/synth line comes in.

Also, there is way too much sidechain, and it's not even done correctly. It's compressed to the point where it's not even releasing on the upbeat of the kicks. (it's releasing way too late) Also, don't side chain EVERY SINGLE DAMN THING in the mix other than the kick. It just sounds like the kick is trying to shut everything up by repeatedly smacking it into a closet, and the door gets slightly opened before it smacks again.

There are lots of rhythm problems in the synths; a lot of it is not playing in time correctly.

Also, the arrangement doesn't really feel like anything, it just sounds like you strung a bunch of patterns together (not to mention it's super repetitive). I don't even know what that stuff is past 1:20, did you render too far while you were doodling? :P

Okay production, if you stereo separated your drums, you can proceed to slap yourself. Don't stereo separate your drums, or at least not your kicks. DO NOT PAN YOUR KICK DRUM IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM IN HOUSE MUSIC :P If you didn't pan/separate your drums, you need to make it sound tighter.

This sounds pretty far from Daft Punk's style, IMO. There's not enough going on.

'Course, the point of remixing is to take the original and put your own spin on it. Saying that you don' want to change the arrangement 'coz it was repetitive in the original is a copout, as is saying "mainstream house form". Both of them are excuses, 'n' not good ones at that. That said, though, I don' really like the 40 second loop of the melody with no percussion, gets pretty boring. The drop is pretty nice, though. WIP2 is glitched or some'in, though, and I don't mean like glitching, I mean there are parts of no audio.

Well the entire track is a whole diffrent spin, it bearly sounds like icecap(which i shoulda avoided) and there only 2 parts with daft source, the first part and the end,

and if you listen to mainstrem house(or the ones i listen too), the tracks are 3x longer (5-7) and they get seriously repetitive, just with risers and sound effects and cutoffs to decorate the track.

and besides for me to make this less repetitve is to shorten it, or replace the cool synths that are there that rob less of my headroom and cpu.

when it that there is not audio, and which 40 seconds?

There's something really off with the timing of when the big bass/synth line comes in.

Also, there is way too much sidechain, and it's not even done correctly. It's compressed to the point where it's not even releasing on the upbeat of the kicks. (it's releasing way too late) Also, don't side chain EVERY SINGLE DAMN THING in the mix other than the kick. It just sounds like the kick is trying to shut everything up by repeatedly smacking it into a closet, and the door gets slightly opened before it smacks again.

There are lots of rhythm problems in the synths; a lot of it is not playing in time correctly.

Also, the arrangement doesn't really feel like anything, it just sounds like you strung a bunch of patterns together (not to mention it's super repetitive). I don't even know what that stuff is past 1:20, did you render too far while you were doodling? :P

Okay production, if you stereo separated your drums, you can proceed to slap yourself. Don't stereo separate your drums, or at least not your kicks. DO NOT PAN YOUR KICK DRUM IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM IN HOUSE MUSIC :P If you didn't pan/separate your drums, you need to make it sound tighter.

This sounds pretty far from Daft Punk's style, IMO. There's not enough going on.

oh the layered synths out of tempo. hmm..... well i will check the patterns and my externals and see if every thing is ok.

the kick is centered(duhh), not the cymbals, in house, people image there hats, atleast from the years ago when i learned house,

people told me to image the hats :P (and rarly snares).

altho i did not sidechain everything but im fixing that now(which i shoulda done b4 i rendered), and the mids on the layer synth.

Well the entire track is a whole diffrent spin, it bearly sounds like icecap(which i shoulda avoided) and there only 2 parts with daft source, the first part and the end,

and if you listen to mainstrem house(or the ones i listen too), the tracks are 3x longer (5-7) and they get seriously repetitive, just with risers and sound effects and cutoffs to decorate the track.

and besides for me to make this less repetitve is to shorten it, or replace the cool synths that are there that rob less of my headroom and cpu.

when it that there is not audio, and which 40 seconds?

That's okay, but when'er you have mainstream house, they have things to make 'em flow better. Transitions, filter sweeps, 'n' all that jazz, but I don' think it's that repetitive because those decorations help. The decorations you have aren't that opaque, 'n' it causes problems 'coz it makes everything seem more problematic. As for the 40 seconds, it's the 40 seconds at the start, an' if you look at the soundcloud link you'll pro'ly see what I was talking about.

Also, you don' have to change your synths or anythin', you just gotta add to what you have so that it flows better.

Basically everything Neblix said is brotally true.

That's okay, but when'er you have mainstream house, they have things to make 'em flow better. Transitions, filter sweeps, 'n' all that jazz, but I don' think it's that repetitive because those decorations help. The decorations you have aren't that opaque, 'n' it causes problems 'coz it makes everything seem more problematic. As for the 40 seconds, it's the 40 seconds at the start, an' if you look at the soundcloud link you'll pro'ly see what I was talking about.

Well there are not riser effects on this track be sides for transitions, but i did not notice a pause at 40.

Well there are not riser effects on this track be sides for transitions, but i did not notice a pause at 40.

View from soundcloud, 'coz it's more apparent there. And the 40 seconds right at the beginning(not 0:40, but around 10 seconds in for about 40 seconds) there's no percussion 'n' just the melody, an' it gets pretty boring.

Also, if you're planning on subbing this in the future, "but that's what mainstream house sounds like" isn't gonna fly here at OCR.

OCReMix is for standalone arrangements, not half hour club sets that don't go anywhere musically. The reality is that good production by itself won't get you past the judges.

I could bump this to 1-2mins and make it non repetitve as a oc version, if thats what your saying :P , but agressive electro house is not that musical in the first place.

The reality is that good production by itself won't get you past the judges.

Scrolling through some remixes old and new that are on this site, I'd say that's sometimes true and sometimes false. There's some mixes on this site that have stellar production but are otherwise badly butchered interpretations of the original. Some of them I can't even listen to. On the other hand, there are some tracks on this site that are great songs to begin with, enhanced by great original parts but the production is kinda bad. In my opinion, it's better to fall into the latter category. Though a person who's more of an audio engineer might say the former category is better.

Anywho,

Got to be honest Sonic I'm not diggin' this track that much. The phrasing is bad. The melodies don't have much flow. Like you're Primus Manus (is that the spelling?) track you did a couple months back, it just feels too random. I get sort of dizzy listening to it.

But around I think.....1:15 or so I was totally

1307943_o.gif

There's some mixes on this site that have stellar production but are otherwise badly butchered interpretations of the original.

OCR wants different arrangements, not "IT HAS TO PLEASE EVERY SINGLE EFFING PERSON ON THE SITE" arrangements.

In all seriousness, there ARE remixes with stellar production but absolutely no deviation from the source other than additives. I would shake my fist at the judges for that, but since the primary complaint of my subbed mix by them was that I was dangerously close to conservative but my additives saved me (so I didn't get a single NO :D), I guess I shouldn't complain. xD I didn't think my mix was that conservative.

Not that SonicThHedgog's remix is conservative. It's fairly liberal, just way too repetitive.