Ice Cap Derrezed(does this sound like daft punk and sonic :D ? )

OCR wants different arrangements, not "IT HAS TO PLEASE EVERY SINGLE EFFING PERSON ON THE SITE" arrangements.

In all seriousness, there ARE remixes with stellar production but absolutely no deviation from the source other than additives. I would shake my fist at the judges for that, but since the primary complaint of my subbed mix by them was that I was dangerously close to conservative but my additives saved me (so I didn't get a single NO :D), I guess I shouldn't complain. xD I didn't think my mix was that conservative.

Not that SonicThHedgog's remix is conservative. It's fairly liberal, just way too repetitive.

Calm down lol. Sonic should make the Barney theme into a dubstep tune. That would be killer.

Seriously.

OCR wants different arrangements, not "IT HAS TO PLEASE EVERY SINGLE EFFING PERSON ON THE SITE" arrangements.

In all seriousness, there ARE remixes with stellar production but absolutely no deviation from the source other than additives. I would shake my fist at the judges for that, but since the primary complaint of my subbed mix by them was that I was dangerously close to conservative but my additives saved me (so I didn't get a single NO :D), I guess I shouldn't complain. xD I didn't think my mix was that conservative.

Not that SonicThHedgog's remix is conservative. It's fairly liberal, just way too repetitive.

Repetitive, the peoples music :tomatoface:

Aighty, I'll give some feedback. But from what I can tell, this song is incomplete. There are sections missing and, as a song, you seem to only have 1:23.

Please remember:

-Please do not mark your mix as Mod Review when it is not in a completed state & has spent time in a Finished state to try and get forum member feedback. We do not yet know what kind of workload we will be looking at going forward, so please utilize each step of the process so we're only reviewing mixes that are truly finished and as refined as the mixer is able.

-Once you've marked your mix Mod Review, please do not make any additional changes prior to a review from a Moderator. If you do wish to modify your mix, please change it back to a WIP status first.

I'll change this back to WIP status after I'm done writing this post, but please make that change yourself in the future.

-----------

So, out of 1:23, I can hear source in the following:

0:14 - 0:38 - Modified ice cap melody, first part of phrase

0:38 - 1:04 - Modified ice cap melody, first part of phrase (doubled)

1:04 - 1:07 - Modified ice cap melody, first part of phrase (elongated)

The way you have the source is clear for those sections, but it gets redundant very fast. The addition of the other instrument at :38 was alright but when the melody stagnates and is static for that long, it gets boring. The glitching you have after 1:08 breaks the link to the source because of how much it changes.

I realize that the genre has a certain requisite repetitiveness to it, but there are plenty of things you could do to change it up: switch instruments, change the last half of a measure to something original melody-wise, change the chords the bass is playing to make the melody go over a whole new chord progression, add supporting instruments that flesh out parts of the melody, etc. So, as far as OCR's standards go, the amount of usage you have so far is fine, except it doesn't really do much beyond validate a link to the source tune.

I'd definitely recommend incorporating the organ-esque pads from the source tune somehow as well, as that could be another link to the source and give you more freedom to tinker with the melody during portions.

Your choice of sounds is quite good, and the production is also quite good. There's a lot of mud coming in the mid's though, and the fact that volume dynamics don't change too much means some sounds get buried (:56 where that extra instrument comes in, I can barely hear it and it gets masked by everything else going on at the time).

The lack of volume dynamics also makes the song sound linear besides radical instrument changes, such as at :14 and 1:08. Using some volume and panning automation in creative ways will help the mix feel more fluid and amorphous, which is a good thing to keep the listener's attention.

I'm listening to Daft Punk's Derezzed right now, and one thing they're doing that would be great to incorporate here would be how they use stereo widening and panning techniques to both rhythmically charge the song and make it feel more dynamic.

Bottom line: what you've got so far is well-executed in terms of sound choice and production (with a few niggles about EQ and volume dynamics). The best thing right now would be to focus in finishing up the song by incorporating new elements of the source, and in different ways, as well as adding your own spin on things to compliment source usage. Then, go back and refine that arrangement in detail to make sure things don't get too repetitive for too long. Finally, tweaking the few issues with the production will likely yield a great end-result.

I really like what you have so far, and I'm rooting for you to continue and complete this.

Aighty, I'll give some feedback. But from what I can tell, this song is incomplete. There are sections missing and, as a song, you seem to only have 1:23.

Please remember:

-Please do not mark your mix as Mod Review when it is not in a completed state & has spent time in a Finished state to try and get forum member feedback. We do not yet know what kind of workload we will be looking at going forward, so please utilize each step of the process so we're only reviewing mixes that are truly finished and as refined as the mixer is able.

-Once you've marked your mix Mod Review, please do not make any additional changes prior to a review from a Moderator. If you do wish to modify your mix, please change it back to a WIP status first.

I'll change this back to WIP status after I'm done writing this post, but please make that change yourself in the future.

-----------

So, out of 1:23, I can hear source in the following:

0:14 - 0:38 - Modified ice cap melody, first part of phrase

0:38 - 1:04 - Modified ice cap melody, first part of phrase (doubled)

1:04 - 1:07 - Modified ice cap melody, first part of phrase (elongated)

The way you have the source is clear for those sections, but it gets redundant very fast. The addition of the other instrument at :38 was alright but when the melody stagnates and is static for that long, it gets boring. The glitching you have after 1:08 breaks the link to the source because of how much it changes.

I realize that the genre has a certain requisite repetitiveness to it, but there are plenty of things you could do to change it up: switch instruments, change the last half of a measure to something original melody-wise, change the chords the bass is playing to make the melody go over a whole new chord progression, add supporting instruments that flesh out parts of the melody, etc. So, as far as OCR's standards go, the amount of usage you have so far is fine, except it doesn't really do much beyond validate a link to the source tune.

I'd definitely recommend incorporating the organ-esque pads from the source tune somehow as well, as that could be another link to the source and give you more freedom to tinker with the melody during portions.

Your choice of sounds is quite good, and the production is also quite good. There's a lot of mud coming in the mid's though, and the fact that volume dynamics don't change too much means some sounds get buried (:56 where that extra instrument comes in, I can barely hear it and it gets masked by everything else going on at the time).

The lack of volume dynamics also makes the song sound linear besides radical instrument changes, such as at :14 and 1:08. Using some volume and panning automation in creative ways will help the mix feel more fluid and amorphous, which is a good thing to keep the listener's attention.

I'm listening to Daft Punk's Derezzed right now, and one thing they're doing that would be great to incorporate here would be how they use stereo widening and panning techniques to both rhythmically charge the song and make it feel more dynamic.

Bottom line: what you've got so far is well-executed in terms of sound choice and production (with a few niggles about EQ and volume dynamics). The best thing right now would be to focus in finishing up the song by incorporating new elements of the source, and in different ways, as well as adding your own spin on things to compliment source usage. Then, go back and refine that arrangement in detail to make sure things don't get too repetitive for too long. Finally, tweaking the few issues with the production will likely yield a great end-result.

I really like what you have so far, and I'm rooting for you to continue and complete this.

Im working on the working on this on this when i get my dual core or i7(celeron 2.00 are not fun to work with, even when overclocked, i wish i had my old extr core2duo :cry: , Dang water), maybe next week or this weds, i added some stuff in the intro aswell (since you guys said its so bland XD), here is the sub version http://soundcloud.com/aires/ice-cap-derezzed-1 nothing much but removed the filter on top that gave it that 1989-1999 house feels and i re eq'ed lots of things that did not show up on my headphones that showed on my moniters (waves ssl and c4 are awsome!),the album version of this song will be atleast 6 min with my new arsenals of crazy synths that you only find playing in n64 games ;) !

but till my cpu comes in, im gunna work on my new bomberman hero - monogenic remix mix

it gunna be dub step as shadow said but more agressive then this track.

also does anyone know a bitcrusher with dither and a good filter plugin?