3-night Gaming Marathon Set for March 25-27

Capt. Stupidity

Ollo,

I am planning to launch my first gaming marathon of sorts. Due to time constraints I can only play through the night, but I want to do it nonetheless. I hope to do more of these and raise money for charity and give away prizes, but for my first one I am just doing prizes and one of them will be a Nintendo 3DS. I am trying to spread the word around because if I don't get the donations then there will be no prizes.

So I hope you will plan to watch my live gaming stream and donate money for your chance to win a 3DS along with some other prizes. More info can be found on my web site: http://game.silverknightgothic.com/

So I hope you will plan to watch my live gaming stream and donate money for your chance to win a 3DS along with some other prizes.

Let me get this straight...you want a bunch of video game music writing people to NOT play video games or write music, instead we should watch you play games...and pay you to do it? 8-O

I'm not sure I'm following.

first one I am just doing prizes and one of them will be a Nintendo 3DS.
Future marathons will go towards charity.

Um, no offense, but why would we, a gamer community, just watch a video of somebody playing a game? And it's not even a Let's Play or a Walkthrough?

Sorry, but I'm not gonna throw money at somebody who's doing something I'd rather be doing myself. For...free...

Let me get this straight...you want a bunch of video game music writing people to NOT play video games or write music, instead we should watch you play games...and pay you to do it? 8-O

I'm not sure I'm following.

No, you are not paying me to do anything. Every single cent I collect will go towards prizes which will be given away to donors. And you don't have to watch me play the whole time. I have watched a couple of gaming marathons and personally I quite enjoyed it.

You've got a lot of explaining to do mister.
Don't know what you mean by that. This marathon I am collecting money for prizes. It's like a raffle. You donate whatever and the money goes towards prizes which are given away. Future marathons I will definitely be collecting money for charity.
Um, no offense, but why would we, a gamer community, just watch a video of somebody playing a game? And it's not even a Let's Play or a Walkthrough?

Sorry, but I'm not gonna throw money at somebody who's doing something I'd rather be doing myself. For...free...

Sorry you feel that way, but if you don't donate you don't get a chance at the prize. And again, I have loved watching gaming marathons. It's really fun and you get to talk to other people through chat.

You should skip this whole raffle bullshit and just make this one the one the charity one. Seriously, raffles and prizes? Fuck that. You would get way more interest if this was for Japanese Red Cross donations or even the local SPCA center.

Plus, I have to question you about these prizes. How much of this is going towards the prizes, and how much is going towards you? People will give money to a charity in an instant. But if you're profiting off of this in any way, forget about it; no one will give a penny for it.

Wait just one goddamned minute.

Has anyone gone to this website?

From his front page:

Everything is set up and ready to go, but there’s one problem: streaming software. The software I am using works great and will be able to stream with justin.tv, but I need to buy the pro version in order to really do anything with it and I am flat broke. I can come up with the money myself (it costs $40), but if you guys could help in any way you can that would be AWESOME! If you donate towards the software money I need I will list your name in the upcoming Sponsors page. So, donate using the Chip-In widget on the right and sponsor the first SKGMedia Game-Athon!

So. You want us to donate money to you so you don't have to spend your own on your streaming software?

Gtfo, man. You should have had all this figured out BEFORE and had it set up BEFORE. If you want to sponsor a charity, this is *not* how you do it.

You should skip this whole raffle bullshit and just make this one the one the charity one. Seriously, raffles and prizes? Fuck that. You would get way more interest if this was for Japanese Red Cross donations or even the local SPCA center.

Ok, I figured people would want a chance to win a 3DS. I may change my minds and change the marathon to give donations to Red Cross for Japan.

Plus, I have to question you about these prizes. How much of this is going towards the prizes, and how much is going towards you? People will give money to a charity in an instant. But if you're profiting off of this in any way, forget about it; no one will give a penny for it.

I am not taking anybody's money! I have repeated 2 or 3 times now that ALL the money goes towards the prizes which I do not keep but give away to donors.

But, thanks for your opinion. I will take it into consideration.

Wait just one goddamned minute.

Has anyone gone to this website?

From his front page:

Everything is set up and ready to go, but there’s one problem: streaming software. The software I am using works great and will be able to stream with justin.tv, but I need to buy the pro version in order to really do anything with it and I am flat broke. I can come up with the money myself (it costs $40), but if you guys could help in any way you can that would be AWESOME! If you donate towards the software money I need I will list your name in the upcoming Sponsors page. So, donate using the Chip-In widget on the right and sponsor the first SKGMedia Game-Athon!

So. You want us to donate money to you so you don't have to spend your own on your streaming software?

Gtfo, man. You should have had all this figured out BEFORE and had it set up BEFORE. If you want to sponsor a charity, this is *not* how you do it.

Oh my gosh! I am simply asking for HELP! If you want to be nice and help out then I would greatly appreciate it. You are not obligated to help out and this one is not for charity.

You're e-begging. For a $40 program that you admit you can afford. And you want us to pay you to watch you play video games for no reason. Yeah, people are going to be a little pissed about this.

You claim there are prizes, but you didn't answer my question about how much of the donated money would go towards yourself. Are you going to be getting even a single cent of this money?

You're e-begging. For a $40 program that you admit you can afford. And you want us to pay you to watch you play video games for no reason. Yeah, people are going to be a little pissed about this.

A sponsor is someone who supports an event financially and that is what I am asking for help with. And you are not paying me to play video games for no reason. The money goes towards a prize pool. ALL THE MONEY I COLLECT (I.E. EVERY PENNY, EVERY CENT) WILL GO TOWARDS THE PRIZES!! I keep NONE of it. Zip, zilch, notta.

You claim there are prizes, but you didn't answer my question about how much of the donated money would go towards yourself. Are you going to be getting even a single cent of this money?

I don't claim there are prizes. Prizes will be given away. And to answer your question:

Every single cent I collect will go towards prizes which will be given away to donors.
I have repeated 2 or 3 times now that ALL the money goes towards the prizes which I do not keep but give away to donors.

How many times do you want me to repeat the answer?

@Flare4War

Yes, apologies to everybody. I got hotheaded and thinking about it now, I can see where you all were coming from. Even though I may not like all of it, I have taken your criticism into account.

And, I liked the idea of just doing this marathon for charity, so I have changed it to raising $500 for charity. I will be donating all the money to Hands on Tokyo. Again, sorry for the blow up.

EDIT: Changed the charity I'm donating to. Hands on Tokyo is more community based and they give more personal help which is pretty cool.

@Flare4War

Yes, apologies to everybody. I got hotheaded and thinking about it now, I can see where you all were coming from. Even though I may not like all of it, I have taken your criticism into account.

And, I liked the idea of just doing this marathon for charity, so I have changed it to raising $500 for charity. I will be donating all the money to Hands on Tokyo. Again, sorry for the blow up.

EDIT: Changed the charity I'm donating to. Hands on Tokyo is more community based and they give more personal help which is pretty cool.

Dude...give it a rest. We don't want to see you play video games. And we don't know who you even are really so I'm not sure people are going to trust you at all. I'm not saying your idea is trash...actually, that's exactly what I'm saying. You should take what you've learned here and start revising your plan of attack. If you want the community to rally behind you and raise money for Japan, than go post your ideas in the Japan Earthquake thread. This "pay me to play video games but I'm not keeping any of the money" idea is not going to get any real ground, at least not in this forum.