Violent Game law to Kill Call of Duty?

Overflow

This all reminds me of about 6 years back when they wanted to put a law in place stating that only 18+ could buy cans of spray paint.

That's how it is in Utah but I think it may be 16 years old, not 18. I can't remember for sure it's been so many years. I know it's true though because I've had people ask me for ID for buying WD-40 on one occasion and pocket knives on several. You can't buy spray paint, pocket knives, lighters, or any other flammable materials for that matter unless you are old enough.

A lot of places might not enforce it heavily but it's all in the books. So they can if they want to.

They should ban most all FPS games for the next 10 years. They're all the same and take no skill. Center screen on thing you want to make dead, push button. That's it.

They should ban most all RPG games for the next 10 years. They're all the same and take no skill. Kill enemies until you level up, kill stronger enemies. That's it.

I wouldn't be supprised that most people buy games online and bypass the whole age limit anyway,kinda saddens me that the us is doing this law because whatever isn't published there usually isn't published here either.

But either way people will find a way round this law.

They should ban most all RPG games for the next 10 years. They're all boring as hell

Fixed. Though there are a few RPGs I do enjoy. The funny thing is, whenever I say that first person shooters are nothing but "center screen - push button", no one has ever provided any decent evidence against that statement. What kind of skill are you measuring? Who can center the little dot in the center of the screen fastest? I also rarely see any form of teamwork amongst the foul mouthed 12 year olds on xbox live or psn so......I just don't get it.

Back on topic.

I agree with the people who say that making a law/ban will, in the end, do nothing. Kids aren't allowed to smoke or drink, yet everyone I went to school with seemed to be an alcoholic who's mouth doubles as a chimney.

When I was in the 5th grade, there was a kid in the same grade who smoked almost a pack a day. Everyday at recess.

Have you ever even PLAYED an FPS?

Yes, almost all of the ones everyone's always fussing about. So I'm forming an opinion from actually playing these games.

I LOVE "Clive Barker's Undying". A FPS game you've probably never heard of. It had plenty of innovative features that made it stand out from the wave of garbage on the shelves today.

but Like I said, people never provide any reason as to what makes the average FPS anything more than "center screen - push button". That's because Halo, Modern Snorefare, Battlefield, etc, etc etc are nothing more than center screen push button.

Modern Warfares and Battlefeilds, I don't care what's the popular wave saying they suck and are for noobs, are very entertaining if you ask me.

And when I shoot with a real gun, I "center" the targets. Same thing as center screen, I do not know why you say this. What do you expect ?

FPS are the most entertaining games.

Opinion:

a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter

Opinion

In regards to artillary weaponry such ranging from the old catapults and cannons to mortars and well, grenades really you'd have to gauge a variety of issues before firing/lobbing.

Guns usually you'd center as well but you're better off often aiming slight bit ahead of a moving target before firing. Tracing really. Hell in deadspace aiming dead center is the LAST thing you want to do. :lol: but I digress

Clive Barker's Undying is not THAT obscure. If anything I'd have to say anything regarding Clive Barker often get shit advertisement. I don't even remember seeing a commercial for it even in the pc gaming sections back in the day.

It's actually not as different as most fps back then as it provided alternate weaponry as well as a "scrying" ability among other things that acted much like the "Lens of Truth" in OoT. That's as far as I remembered but to me that's no different than using Night Vision goggles in "Half-Life:Opposing Forces"; which was a very good expansion pack to the old half life series.

CBU is actually not as different as most fps, it just catered to your interests at the time just like any other fps catered to others.

I've already posted some of my favorites.

Hell I could name another that doesn't even use guns or combat at all; may as well really call it FPSu (First Person Survival)

Maybe "center screen - shoot" is all there is in Multiplayer, but a lot of FPS have a single player component with a story, missions and what not, and some have puzzle elements (especially Half Life series).

Even in multiplayer, you have to sort out a strategy in some of the better ones. Especially if you get team / CTF / mission involvement. I haven't played Call of Duty or Battlefield so i have no idea if these games have any more than "Shoot", but I know there are games like Team Fortress, Enemy Territory, Tribes, etc where theres a little more than just "shoot things" going on.

I do agree the FPS genre as a whole is rather bland, but there are some diamonds in the rough.

There needs to be more FP RPG/Adventure games though like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Bioshock, Portal, Amnesia, etc.

My favorite first person game, and one of my all time favorite games was "Thief II - The Metal Age". The only other shooter game I like aside from Undying is "The Darkness". Just because I freaking LOVE the comic series.

I'm probably biased considering I hate video games in general. I just like a select few series I guess.

I'm probably biased considering I hate video games in general.

Dude, lol. I've been trying to swallow your inane little comments about FPS for a few pages now but I'm having a hard time staying silent through everything you're dishing out.

What I'm trying to say is that coming onto an online community that is based, for the most part around video games, and saying shit like this just makes you sound like a jackanapes.

Dude, lol. I've been trying to swallow your inane little comments about FPS for a few pages now but I'm having a hard time staying silent through everything you're dishing out.

What I'm trying to say is that coming onto an online community that is based, for the most part around video games, and saying shit like this just makes you sound like a jackanapes.

This is gettin' off topic

I'm just here for the music.

I'm also legitimately an asshole.

As much as I am all for game companies to have the freedom to make their game, I honestly have to say it, if you can't make your game good without a ton of blood and a large amount of foul language, can you call yourself a good game developer?

Granted, some of those things have a very large impact, visually. But the more I look at it, the more of a basic outlook I have on it, that it's just a game.

I understand why everyone gets so up in arms over this issue, both sides of it. On the one hand, you can have someone with a high morals complex, deeming everything horribly violent and not for kids, even E-Rated games. And on the other end of it, they're trying to keep overly violent games out of kids hands, which I have no problem with. Is it the parent's responsibility to keep them from getting these games? Yes.

Most of the people I hear complain about these kind of regulations, seem to be much past the age of restriction that these laws would try to prevent a sale to. Then again, I know they claim it will stifle creativity. Which goes back to the point I've asked, can't a developer make a good enough game without all of that?

But I forget, so many developers are committed to making games into movies.

I'm not a terrible fan of FPS, though I do rank them above flight simulators, gambling simulators, sports games and racing games. In their defense, while "center screen push button" is crucial to their gameplay, there is much more. Map memorization on the lower end of the spectrum, and priority decision making on the other, for a few examples. Saying that they take no skill sounds petty, and reflects more on you than on them. It also makes me think of someone up in Heaven (I don't believe in Heaven but using it for dramatic effect) bitching about dying in war; "I died? Lame; sniper rifles take no skill!"

Generally speaking, though, I do find that they're often the same. Similar weapons, similar enemies, similar situations. New maps though. This is why I enjoyed games like Resistance, because of their more interesting weapon selection, and secondary fire options.

End of troll inspired rant.

The idea that stores will stop selling games due to the financial risk of fines is silly. If it were to actually happen would be more unbelievable. It isn't that hard to look at a game, see the rating, and say "Do you have ID?" I don't have much faith in people, but really, I don't think that level of training should be beyond them. And if it is, I'd rather see them taken out of society; $1000 fine isn't quite enough.

Lastly, calling music air vibrations is an offensive generalization. It vibrates so much more!