Pokémon Black/White: Driftveil City

Dasgust

Pokémon Black/White: Driftveil City

I don't have much to say about this. I'm new to equalization and I've never posted here before. Thanks for the possible feedback and help!

Remix v7: http://tindeck.com/listen/rwsu

Remix v6: http://tindeck.com/listen/npie

Remix v5: http://tindeck.com/listen/wncr

Remix v4: http://tindeck.com/listen/kpmr

Remix v3: http://tindeck.com/listen/nttf

Remix v2: http://tindeck.com/listen/dhxs

Remix v1: http://tindeck.com/listen/rbuq

Source:

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[X] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

PRODUCTION

[X] Low-quality samples

[X] Drums have no energy

[X] Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics)

STRUCTURE

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[X] Pace too plodding

Generally i'm against using this checklist - in some cases like here however, its useful.

This should have a stuff you did right thing to balance it out but w/e.

Regarding what you did WELL - the mixing is pretty well done - there aren't many sounds or changes in sounds as the track goes on, but what you used was mixed well enough. The sequencing was also creative and enjoying to hear :) The structure was ok enough, the different parts were obvious and it flowed.

Now to explain the checklist points:

[X] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source:

The arrangement sticks too close to the source atm - you need to do some more variation in your track - more variation in the leads, the chords used etc is a VERY good one to do, while keeping the source recognisable. Something else you could do is add a solo maybe - i'm a sucker for solos and you could pull one off.

[X] Low-quality samples

As you can tell here, the biggest problem you have here is the production. The samples, don't get me wrong, they aren't terrible, but they could be better. Experiment with more daring samples, not just chiptune sounds :D

[X] Drums have no energy

The Drums lack alot of punch, Bring out that kick more, make the drums more beefy!

Sounds like its pumping to me. Bring down the compression on the master just a tad and it should solve the issue.

This is one of the biggest issues. You have a sparse selection of sounds, which don't change throughout, as well as a lack of change in dynamics (no breakdown sections for example). It gets taxing to listen to. My advice - experiment with new sounds as the track progesses - the more the merrier - and add a breakdown in the middle too keep things interesting.

[X] Pace too plodding

And finally... the pace does plod on a little. You need more variation in your drums to fix this, and the breakdown I mentioned earlier should help.

As you can tell, if you want to get passed the judges, you got alot of work to do! Good luck man :D

The source is already quite a catchy song and I really like this version. I will agree with comments made by Willrock though, it is way too conservative.

I would like to hear a new version if you decide to re work it. But as it stands i don't think it would be passed.

Shows a lot of potential though. :)

The source is already quite a catchy song and I really like this version. I will agree with comments made by Willrock though, it is way too conservative.

I would like to hear a new version if you decide to re work it. But as it stands i don't think it would be passed.

Shows a lot of potential though. :)

Hey, thanks! I've actually thought of reworking on it. Hope I'll get motivation to do that.

I'm really digging this. A few things that stuck out to me before I crash for the night:

The constant hi-hat throughout the slow section is super repetitive. I would suggest waiting to bring it in later at a time you feel appropriate, if at all.

The end of the synth solo, at 3:15 where you've just got long half notes, you're begging for some counter-melody. Throw in another voice on top of it to spice it up a bit. Actually, there's quite a number of places in your mix that could do with some counter-melodies. For the most part, you have only three voices (lead, bass - or backing strings, during the half-tempo bit), percussion), and while that's a good start, you would really benefit from something extra. It doesn't even have to be anything too noticeable... just something.

Speaking of your basslines, they rock. As does your solo, barring the little guy in the back of my head that is pointing to the many solo virtuosos around OCR and shouting, "MOAR VARIATION," which seems to be the common theme here.

I can't say anything about this in comparison to your previous version. Sorry, I wasn't here to listen to the first version and I'm too lazy to go back and do a thorough comparison :<

Last, I would highly suggest modulating to another key or mode at some point. This source is really really really repetitive and having to hear the same chords over and over again can start to bore your listeners, even with the variation that is your down-tempo section. It also opens up a bunch of really interesting harmonies that you may not have thought of otherwise until you've started messing around with a new mode.

Anyway, as it is currently 4:45 in the morning, I'm off.

Best of luck! I hope this helps!

Another super-late run of the WiP Boards...

Man, this sounds a lot better! There's still a lot you can do with lead variation... for example, most if not all of your attack/decays are the same (note lengths), and volume is more-or-less static throughout. Still, a ton of improvement. I'm diggin' the counter-melody stuff, both in the slow section and later post-solo.

I fell as though the half-tempo bit has a lot of yet-untapped potential. You might try to make the lead voice(s) more interesting by using bells or some other pitched perc to double the xylo, or just accent specify notes (or harmonize with the lead). With the instruments being so exposed (no bass or drums to cover them), you've gotta work extra hard at making all the parts really full and satisfying.

.. I enjoyed the 4th version (I didn't listen to the previous one)

I don't know why but i realy want to play the lead track on guitar :o

I'm wondering if you have a .midi file for this or a tablatur :P

Thanks! Do you mean the original or my remix? I don't have MIDI-files or tabs for either, though. In case you meant my remix, it's not a problem to make a MIDI-file of the lead track. Also, I believe there's MIDI-files of the original song on Internet. :P

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[X] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

PRODUCTION

[X] Low-quality samples

[X] Drums have no energy

STRUCTURE

[X] Pace too plodding

Generally i'm against using this checklist - in some cases like here however, its useful.

This should have a stuff you did right thing to balance it out but w/e.

Regarding what you did WELL - the mixing is pretty well done - there aren't many sounds or changes in sounds as the track goes on, but what you used was mixed well enough. The sequencing was also creative and enjoying to hear :) The structure was ok enough, the different parts were obvious and it flowed.

Now to explain the checklist points:

[X] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source:

The arrangement sticks too close to the source atm - you need to do some more variation in your track - more variation in the leads, the chords used etc is a VERY good one to do, while keeping the source recognisable. Something else you could do is add a solo maybe - i'm a sucker for solos and you could pull one off.

[X] Low-quality samples

As you can tell here, the biggest problem you have here is the production. The samples, don't get me wrong, they aren't terrible, but they could be better. Experiment with more daring samples, not just chiptune sounds :D

[X] Drums have no energy

The Drums lack alot of punch, Bring out that kick more, make the drums more beefy!

Sounds like its pumping to me. Bring down the compression on the master just a tad and it should solve the issue.

This is one of the biggest issues. You have a sparse selection of sounds, which don't change throughout, as well as a lack of change in dynamics (no breakdown sections for example). It gets taxing to listen to. My advice - experiment with new sounds as the track progesses - the more the merrier - and add a breakdown in the middle too keep things interesting.

[X] Pace too plodding

And finally... the pace does plod on a little. You need more variation in your drums to fix this, and the breakdown I mentioned earlier should help.

As you can tell, if you want to get passed the judges, you got alot of work to do! Good luck man :D

I LOVE LOW QUALITY CHEEZY DRUMS (thats what i use :sad:)

but i agree with this, its repetiive, and drums are weak , and i can bearly hear the snare roll and synths, but keep working on this.

Forgive me that I'm not a mod, but I'm gonna comment anyway.

There is a ridiculous amount of sub bass in this mix. Try lowering all the stuff that's below 40 Hz (at a steep curve, so as you approach 20 Hz, decrease more and more, but make sure you don't completely cut things out). There's also a lack in the low/midrange of frequencies, maybe add some elements to the song that cover the 400 Hz - 2 KHz range, because when I look at my spectrum analyzer (I also hear it), there's just a big half pipe between the bass and mid high frequencies.

Your synths need more interesting filter cutoff automation/LFO and maybe vibrato, because right now they're really simple sounds. They work, don't get me wrong, but they could be way more interesting.

Arrangement's fine; the interpretation is obvious and entertaining. :D