Pokémon Black/White: Driftveil City

Dasgust

Forgive me that I'm not a mod, but I'm gonna comment anyway.

There is a ridiculous amount of sub bass in this mix. Try lowering all the stuff that's below 40 Hz (at a steep curve, so as you approach 20 Hz, decrease more and more, but make sure you don't completely cut things out). There's also a lack in the low/midrange of frequencies, maybe add some elements to the song that cover the 400 Hz - 2 KHz range, because when I look at my spectrum analyzer (I also hear it), there's just a big half pipe between the bass and mid high frequencies.

Your synths need more interesting filter cutoff automation/LFO and maybe vibrato, because right now they're really simple sounds. They work, don't get me wrong, but they could be way more interesting.

Arrangement's fine; the interpretation is obvious and entertaining. :D

*blank stare* Are you a god?

Hah! Yeah, this is a really fun groove, I wasn't expecting this at all :-P I've had this one stuck in my head a lot from listening to it in-game.

Your adaptation of the source is really the selling point here. It's catchy and fun. But there's some things that just aren't jiving with me. First off, your sub bass is WAY too strong, and I'm listening on headphones that are very weak in the bass ranges. Neblix seems to have the right idea about where to make frequency cuts. The reverb levels on your synths is pretty high too, especially the ones in the background. Scale back a bit on that, it's making things a bit muddy.

As far as arrangement goes, this is mostly solid, but the breakdown section with the piano in the middle feels overlong to me. I feel like you could cut down about half of it, or perhaps bring back a subtle beat halfway through to help build up to the beat drop again. The transition that follows also feels rather awkward, I'm not sure what to suggest other than just going back to the drawing board and doing a transition that flows a bit more naturally, but adding in more of a buildup prior to the drop is a good place to start.

I'm not really sure if I agree with the synths being too generic, I think they work okay in this context. You probably couldn't go wrong by adding a bit of subtle vibrato or other effects to your lead synths to make them more interesting, however.

This one's definitely worth sticking with though, I like what you've done so far :-D

Hey, arrangment seems much more varied and interesting, good on you for fixing that stuff up. Nice breakdown section as well.

Agreeing with the others regarding the sub-bass - you need to fix that. Also, seems like it might be a tad too compressed but bringing down the sub-bass might fix that, I dunno.

Regarding your breakdown, I disagree strongly with emu that its overlong - seems pretty short to me - however, its a nice idea, but you really need to work on the transitions. It doesn't help that they are so different, it lacks coherence and flow. Not saying it shouldn't be there, but I think you should work some of the piano instrumentation and strings etc, into the mix before your breakdown, for some instrumental variety in your main sections, and to give a bit more of a connection with your breakdown. That bell sample isn't the best either, might want to work on that.

Oh, nice synth solo ;)

Regarding the bland synths... I don't think its too much of an issue, adding vibrato would help, but thats not necessary, since the sequencing and use of portamento is pretty creative.

• 3 weeks later...