The Very Basics

Most people usually import files between programs for better editing. A lot of people I know actually import individual tracks or instruments rather than songs too. It's kinda just learning what programs are best for what. Good luck with everything! I'm trying to learn about this stuff too so I kinda know how you might be feeling!

FL Studio is INCREDIBLY easy to learn and hard to master. Using it since I was ten has helped me make habits out of what beginners would go "You can do that in FL Studio???!??!!?" at.

It takes a while to get beast at it, but once you do, it's much more flexible than other DAW's like Pro Tools in that its architecture is more modular and freeform than the *industry-standard* "make a track for one instrument/audio clip, it gets one chain of FX". The only catch is that it takes a much longer time to get used to it.

Audio Geek input ;)

Neblix is right about VSTs, but just to clarify VST based plugins will work on certain DAWs on a Mac. Cubase for instance runs VST on Mac. The VST has to be coded to work on Macs. Logic will run Audio Units, Apple's proprietary format. Ableton Live will run both Audio Units and VSTs on Macs.

Using Pro Tools as a platform for a hobby musician might not be the wisest idea. Most smaller developers that offer cheaper instruments do not code their plugins for the RTAS format. Pro Tools is excellent for recording and tracking audio. It's for that reason it has become a standard in american based studios for years.