Chrono Trigger - Yearnings of the Wind ReMIX (Completed)

mrrk

• 2 weeks later...

I really like how you flesh out the harmonies. There is a good sense of voice leading and momentum throughout most of the piece.

I agree with Rockos that it's pretty close to source, and might not pass the panel for that reason. It's hard to mess with such a beautiful source, but really try hard to think of any original direction you can tastefully take it. 1:40 might be a good place to introduce an original section.

Other comments:

- Are you using two different piano samples? In the beginning it sounds too plunky (like an SNES piano) which along with too-heavy use of other chromatic percussion ruins the mood of the intro for me. The piano sounds much better in some later sections.

- You could probably bring out the low strings a little more, or decrease the volume on the high strings. And what about some french horns or woodwinds?

- It's pretty loud throughout -- you could make some sections piano or mezzo piano for more drama. And what about trying some tempo changes and firmatas?

- Ending is indeed abrupt

Nice work so far and good luck!

Thank docnano!

Exactly you're right: i use two different pianos. About french horns, then i make it i didn't think use the horns only strings and piano.

And change temp? Why? I like the original temp of melody and i specially stay music in original melody with a not so much changes and in original tempo.

Thats just for fun and i don't think post it at the judgment panel.

This is good. I think the arrangement itself works well. Most of my comments have to do with performance, mix, and sample use, which are really difficult things to get right in orchestra music done with sample libraries -- they're often more difficult than the arranging itself. It should help to listen to recordings of live orchestras -- not other people's sampled orchestra pieces -- to get an idea of how the instrument balance and dynamics should work. Anyhow, comments:

The opening notes strike me as a bit odd. The piano melody strikes softly on a beat at the very start, and then the accompaniment comes in way loud off the beat. Throughout the intro, in fact, the accompaniment seems too loud in comparison with the melody.

The added beat (5/4 or 3/4 measure) at 0:23 to 0:26 throws me a bit. I'm not at all opposed to mixed meters, but this seems like a place where taking liberties with the tempo to slow things down at the end of the phrase would feel more natural than adding a beat.

Piano sounds mechanical. For example, all of the bass notes have the same velocity and are exactly the same length in the section from 0:50 and sound metronomic.

String samples have weird swells in them when they're held. See if you can adjust that in the sampler so the sustain is more uniform -- you can automate swells manually with the volume or expression control (probably CC7 and CC11, depending on how your sample library is set up) if you need them in specific places.

At 0:26 and again at 2:02, the strings are rushing one of the melody notes (making the rhythm sixteenth--dotted eighth instead of eighth--eighth). I'm assuming this is a mistake that got copy/pasted, since this rhythmic figure doesn't occur anywhere else.

Related to the mechanical piano and the string issues, the performance could stand to be humanized. There's no dynamic variation anywhere -- velocities sound pretty uniform everywhere, and it sounds like all of the instruments are fighting to be loudest. In general I think you should back way off on the velocities.

The ending is abrupt, as has already been mentioned.