Worst game sequel

I really don't like Zelda: Spirit Tracks. Riding a slow train everywhere fighting easy enemies along the way (but still having to be present to kill them so they don't slowly wittle you to death, ensuring you stay at your DS the entire mind-numbing ride!)while avoiding one-shot kill enemy trains is not fun at all. Neither is being inexplicably stuck on one of the flute songs and still not being able to get past it. (I even tried looking up the very spot I got stuck on on Youtube, and the guy in the video practically played random notes and got it done. No such luck here.)

I can think of a few successors that were a disappointment but I'm not sure what I would call the worst one ever.

Mario Kart: Double Dash was a real let down.

I have to disagree with this. IMO Double Dash is the best in the series. Mario Kart 64 was a huge let down to me though.

Other than that, Resistance 2 was a big disappointment, but only because my girlfriend and I really liked the co-op single player mode in the first game, so we bought the second game and... where did the co-op single player mode go? Just some other crappy co-op mode that we didn't really care about at all.

I have to disagree with this. IMO Double Dash is the best in the series. Mario Kart 64 was a huge let down to me though.

I agree Mario Kart 64 was a huge disappointment after Mario Kart. The battle mode sucked too.

Mario Sunshine was an epic let down after Mario 64. It's like they took out all the fun in Mario 64 and replaced it with linear quests, and chore based gameplay.

Gears of War 2 sucked pretty hard too. Broken Multiplayer, with horrid "additions", the campaign was pretty boring with too many on-rail moments, and the storytelling was laughably amateur, even for a shooter.

Girly plot aside, I think FFX-2 had the best ATB combat system in the entire series. Varying bar lengths for different moves, a wide variety of job classes, etc etc.

The worst next-gen sequel IMO is Ninja Gaiden II. The first game had a really interesting world that looped back onto itself in subsequent chapters, revealing more and more of itself to you as you played. The second game is just a linear series of "go here, slice these people".

The worst sequel EVER is Back to the Future II & III (one cartridge) for NES...but the original was also crap. Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones is a game that always struck me as much, MUCH worse than DD2, one of the best action games on the NES.

Girly plot aside, I think FFX-2 had the best ATB combat system in the entire series. Varying bar lengths for different moves, a wide variety of job classes, etc etc.

Glad I'm not the only one who actually enjoyed X-2. Admittedly, the girl power themes were annoying as hell, but if they were removed, I think we'd actually have a pretty decent game. The battle system was more similar to Chrono Trigger than a lot of people who cite CT as being the best RPG evar would like to admit.

Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter

It was admittedly a far cry, conceptually, from the other games in the series, but I loved the game. It had a lot of interesting and unique gameplay elements, the character designs were pretty stylish, and the battle system was probably the most awesome thing ever. The only downside is that towards the end every boss basically requires you to curb stomp them with your dragon powers, but its premise and scope felt very close and personal.

As for worst sequel? Xenosaga Episode 2. It took a concept that was already struggling to be enjoyable and made it even more incomprehensible, slow, and short.

Glad I'm not the only one who actually enjoyed X-2. Admittedly, the girl power themes were annoying as hell, but if they were removed, I think we'd actually have a pretty decent game. The battle system was more similar to Chrono Trigger than a lot of people who cite CT as being the best RPG evar would like to admit.

I don't give a crap if the battle system was good. It incorporated a fucking dress-up system.

And the 'girl-power' shit isn't the issue. The issue is that they took one of the few FF games with a finite and concluded (albeit sad) ending, and ruined it with a totally unnecessary sequel that shat all over the entire lore of the first game.