Worst game sequel

Brawl was awesome. Melee was great, and in my eyes, Brawl was the perfect evolution. I even, EVEN liked Subspace Emissary. Played it through to the end in one sitting. There's not many games I do that for, let alone finish these days, so Brawl must have done something very right. At least by me.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion though, I guess.

Whatever, you guys! FFX-2 is freaking sweet! It was just too stylish for you guys. It's supposed to have that cheesy flavor yo. It had one of my favorite battle systems in the series, too.

Anyway, out of everyone here, I'm thinking it's this guy.

Alundra 2.

I never heard of anyone who played the first and then could turn around and play Alundra 2 and even just say "Ah, it was OK, I guess." I don't suppose there's anyone here who liked it, is there? I'd certainly like to hear why. I watched some Youtube footage of it and it looks like they still have tons really creative puzzles. But I just can't bring myself to play that game.

All they needed to do is add graphics, some stages, a few characters and viola; a perfect sequel.

But Melee already had a K.K. Slider trophy... :tomatoface:

I hate Brawl vs. Melee arguments. It's just two sides completely unable to realise that the other one actually has a different POV. I know a lot of discussions are like that, but when two sides are continuously spouting arguments that are completely meaningless to the other side...

And just to make it clear, I don't play competitively, but I liked Melee better. I do admit that Brawl has tons of advantages (and it's the one I play regularly nowadays), but I just liked Melee's physics better. Also little details like better events, and better "Break the Targets", or the bonuses, or the fact that self-destructs actually registered.

But Brawl has more characters, improved those that utterly sucked in Melee, introduced Boss Rush, there's better stage variety (even if I miss some Melee stages), more music, the SSE was actually pretty fun, and if you want to have Pokéballs-only on Very High, the game won't shower you with explosive crates and capsules.

And to keep more on track with the thread... Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire. There were a lot of changes I disliked, and lack of compatibility with G/S killed interest in the series for everyone I knew.

Also, Soul Reaver 2. They decided to sacrifice any quality in gameplay for what was essentially an interactive movie. Sure, it had awesome plot, but that's literally all it had.

Brawl really isn't such a bad game. The problem is, it just makes you want to play Melee. Even if you have already played Melee to the bone, it just makes you want to play it instead.

Not for me, I had more than 500-600 hours in Melee and I love Brawl. The only problem is, I can't find people to play with.

See, I never had that problem. There was always a handful of people willing to play when I was infatuated with Smash Bros. That tends to breed a lot of competition and that may be part of the reason Brawl felt a bit off to me. It was rare to even see someone playing single player mode.

I think Brawl is a good game but as a successor it was a little disenchanting.

There was always a handful of people willing to play when I was infatuated with Smash Bros. That tends to breed a lot of competition and that may be part of the reason Brawl felt a bit off to me. It was rare to even see someone playing single player mode.

Well the problem isn't the game itself, but the fact that I have almost no friends now.

Girly plot aside, I think FFX-2 had the best ATB combat system in the entire series. Varying bar lengths for different moves, a wide variety of job classes, etc etc.

The worst next-gen sequel IMO is Ninja Gaiden II. The first game had a really interesting world that looped back onto itself in subsequent chapters, revealing more and more of itself to you as you played. The second game is just a linear series of "go here, slice these people".

THIS^^^

I don't think I've ever been more completely disheartened by a sequel than this game. It took everything that made the first game competent and challenging, and took a huge shit all over it. The levels are linear as hell, the camera was horrid, the enemies are beyond cheap, and everything you learned in the first game to make you feel like a badass is negated when you get hit with any number of completely unblockable combos, waves of nothing but spammed ranged attacks, and bosses that feel less like accomplishments upon their defeat and more like someone tore your arm off and beat you with it. Worst of all, and this is just inexcusable, it has graphics slowdown like a bitch. I wanted to beat the game, but the further I got in, the worse it got. It's still the only game I had to give up on.

Other sequels (suquels?):

Startropics 2: kind of similar gameplay, but the story was not nearly as interesting and it felt sort of shortened and dumbed down.

Soul Calibur 3: I've pointed this out several times, but this is the game that made me blow up a PS2 controller out of sheer anger. Everything about this game felt like it was unbalanced, cheap, and lazy. Especially riding ont he back of how fun SC2 was.

so what you're saying is you haven't actually played sonic 4

Check my gamertag, bro.

Stop saying good games are bad. Sonic 4 wasn't great, but it was good.

Lots of people hating Brawl
What did I just say?!
Soul Calibur 3: I've pointed this out several times, but this is the game that made me blow up a PS2 controller out of sheer anger. Everything about this game felt like it was unbalanced, cheap, and lazy. Especially riding ont he back of how fun SC2 was.

Ooooh, dude! Remember Chronicles of the Sword? Frick, man, I remember buckets and buckets of scalding hot frustration being pored onto my face...*shudder*

I didn't know it was possible to hate that game.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that i hate it, but to me it felt more like one big grindfest through mazes and environments that were designed to be as sadistic as possible.

And again, Killer Instinct Gold isn't a bad game, but suffers from being in the shadow of the first. Compared to what the first KI game was, the second wasn't all that mindblowing.

If the first game set a low standard why did you (presumably) play two more?

So I could have an educated opinion on it.

Well considering your obvious GS-hate, Tensei, I'm not surprised you said that.

What does this even mean? "Considering you don't like it, I'm not surprised that you don't like it"

You're pointing out the...consistency in my opinions?

Marvel VS Capcom 2

dead serious

Really? Most people seem to have forgotten the first MVC altogether. Because it's got to be the only fighting game where 80% of the cast wasn't even playable.

Unless you're counting the entire Marvel Vs. series and not just the games specifically titled "Marvel Vs Capcom". 2 was an improvement over mvc1 in nearly every imaginable way except for balance. Out of the vs series for me it's either Marvel Superheroes Vs SF or Mvc3 that was the worst.

Obviously you Brawl haters don't know bout hacking the game, as this makes the game more fast paced, not to mention being able to play Zero, Travis Touchdown, Cloud and others :/

Fact: Cloud is playable in every game.

But worst sequel is pretty subjective, just like favorites. Try telling FF fans your favorite of the series is 12 and not 6 or 7. :| It's like covering yourself in raw meat and prancing around a hungry bear.

I admit that FFX-2 had some good aspects to it. The dress sphere thing wasn't terrible and the battles were fun, however, the story was terrible enough to be really offputting to me. Some people don't care about the story because they're just interested in the gameplay. That's cool and to each their own, I just felt FFX-2 negated the story of FFX and story is really important to me in a game.

Kinda like Star Ocean 3. The gameplay and battles were so fun, but when I hit some of the ... plot twists, I ended up losing all desire to continue onwards. I just don't know whether I'd say it's one of the worst sequels or not... I have heard bad things about Star Ocean 4 as well.

Well, damn, well remembered. After SC2's fluid, fun gameplay, we get a SC3 filled with overcomplicated modes and bland characters, different button inputs for every character because the developers felt like doing it, and every single hit releases FLASHES and SPARKS!

Pretty much the only positive I saw was that my main, Voldo, had seen his stance versatility improved. And even that was spoiled by needing to learn the new inputs.