Worst game sequel

I admit that FFX-2 had some good aspects to it. The dress sphere thing wasn't terrible and the battles were fun, however, the story was terrible enough to be really offputting to me. Some people don't care about the story because they're just interested in the gameplay. That's cool and to each their own, I just felt FFX-2 negated the story of FFX and story is really important to me in a game.

Kinda like Star Ocean 3. The gameplay and battles were so fun, but when I hit some of the ... plot twists, I ended up losing all desire to continue onwards. I just don't know whether I'd say it's one of the worst sequels or not... I have heard bad things about Star Ocean 4 as well.

I don't think anybody really has the right to complain about dress spheres unless they've ever complained about changing a characters job or class in FFV or Tactics because that's all it is. They just happen to change their clothes at the same time. Whether you think that's needed or unneeded is one thing but there's no reason for anyone to think that one aspect messed up the gameplay.

By the way, Star Ocean 4 will be a good game for you. In my opinion the systems for everything have been improved on between the 3rd and 4th and the story's plot twists are better as well. But I personally liked that crazy story twist that messed up every other game's story with it. Hahaha.

It's like covering yourself in raw meat and prancing around a hungry bear.

Suddenly, this thread just became increasingly relevant to my interests. I didn't like the sequel though, covering yourself in bacon and working the local kennel.

About the TF2 dislike: I played TFC a lot when I was younger, and it was a good, fast-paced, easy-to-pick-up game. Now, whenever I go into a TF2 server, I get yelled at for not doing my role. I'm all for teamwork, but it is incredibly discouraging to people who don't know the intricacies about each and every move, what every friggin' hat does, how to do weapons upgrades, etc. Yes, TFC had its fair share of abusers (the whole grenade jumping thing really pissed me off), and one thing I will give TF2 is that it has loads of personality, but I liken the experience of playing TF2 as a n00b to what I hear playing HoN as a n00b is like: it just isn't fun whatsoever.

And whoever mentioned Soul Calibur 3 reminded me of how much of a disappointment that game was! For me, it all came down to one thing: Chronicles of the Sword. Ho-ly-shit, did that game mode PISS ME OFF. At first I was all "oh, cool! It's like half board game, half tactics game, where the outcome of it is also based on SC fights!" But then the shit truly hit the fan when I spent five hours trying to beat the first boss. That game was rage-inducing.

a few more:

Earthworm Jim 3d

ExtremeG 3

Twisted Metal 3

Final Fight: Streetwise

About the TF2 dislike: I played TFC a lot when I was younger, and it was a good, fast-paced, easy-to-pick-up game. Now, whenever I go into a TF2 server, I get yelled at for not doing my role. I'm all for teamwork, but it is incredibly discouraging to people who don't know the intricacies about each and every move, what every friggin' hat does, how to do weapons upgrades, etc. Yes, TFC had its fair share of abusers (the whole grenade jumping thing really pissed me off), and one thing I will give TF2 is that it has loads of personality, but I liken the experience of playing TF2 as a n00b to what I hear playing HoN as a n00b is like: it just isn't fun whatsoever.

Just play on better servers.

Just...play on the OCR server. Nobody will treat you badly. :|

I liken the experience of playing TF2 as a n00b to what I hear playing HoN as a n00b is like: it just isn't fun whatsoever.

TF2 is way more forgiving, especially on the OCR server (And it's still pretty fun even if you aren't great at it). If you've played FPSes before it won't take you more than a day to get the hang of it. HoN on the other hand...

ExtremeG 3

I like to touch up on this and agree how much I hated this game.

The controls for XG3 were so strict compared to XG1 and XG2. XGRA was different from the series but I would not say worst. It went in a way that gave you more freedom but it never lived up to XG1.

What I hated most about XG3 was that it gave you a leveling and custom system and it actually made the game less fun. Instead of just grabbing any item and using it, you had to work and modify your bike to get faster and gain weapons. This made the game a pain in the ass the first few hours since you had a slow engine and you only had a simple machine gun to work with.

The racing was even more horrid. The other games of the series gave a strong sense of speed and turning. XG3 sucked because speed and turning felt a lot like a NASCAR race where you had to race to a near point of perfection to just win. Racing like this also made passing seem like a struggle since you most likely would get to the number one place to around the second half or the 3/4 of the race. I enjoy a challenge but when i have such few options to passing and the CPU have a head freaking start and I have to do this every single time, pfft...

I remembered another one today while I was going through my games.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

It wasn't really that this game sucked in terms of gameplay, because it was basically the previous game just with more stuff added and a re-balanced weapons system. What made this one such a disappointment to me was the overall feeling that the game had been phoned in.

It had something like 50 recruitable characters, but it was so short that you only end up using the same few characters all the way through. The balance between new characters and returning characters was broken as hell, it was nearly worthless to transfer the data of the previous game to the new one (if you could get it to work), and the story just never managed the grand feeling that the handhelds and even it's predecessor on the Cube had. There was a lot of focus on the little graphical improvements, but anywhere there was bigger issues just seems glossed over. There's even a major typo right in one of the menus. But the biggest disappointment of all was that, for a move from the Gamecube to the Wii, there was no technological improvements. No wiimote capability, no multiplayer, no replayability, not even a boost in graphics.

For such a generally well done series, this was a huge drop of the ball. My hope is that, should they ever try a console Fire Emblem again, they'll do a hell of a lot more innovating.

Because people on OCR are always very understanding and genteel.

Sorry, but do you play on the OCR TF2 server? I'm pretty sure you don't, and therefore don't really have an idea of what the OCR TF2 community is like. So unless you do and you aren't being facetious, you should keep sarcastic, uninformed comments like that to yourself.

Because people on OCR are always very understanding and genteel.

Followed by

Sorry, but do you play on the OCR TF2 server? I'm pretty sure you don't, and therefore don't really have an idea of what the OCR TF2 community is like. So unless you do and you aren't being facetious, you should keep sarcastic, uninformed comments like that to yourself.

= LOL

It's true, though. As a general rule, OCR TF2 regs are incredibly courteous. Several steps above most online gamers, at minimum.

I also wonder if Telltale's episodic games count as sequels. Would one season count as one sequel, or would each individual episode? Cuz I can think of some examples that would fit this category...

Twisted Metal 3

TF2 aside, I'm glad someone mentioned this. Twisted Metal 2 was a PS1 classic: my brother and I will still play some co-op every once in a while (Outlaw and Axel for life), and I still listen to the soundtrack today. And then...there was TM3. Mangled gameplay, goofy character stories, nothing but licensed music. Blech. 4 was a slight improvement, but not by much, and nowhere near the awesomeness that was 2.

A bit touchy regarding the subject are we?

TF2 aside, I'm glad someone mentioned this. Twisted Metal 2 was a PS1 classic: my brother and I will still play some co-op every once in a while (Outlaw and Axel for life), and I still listen to the soundtrack today. And then...there was TM3. Mangled gameplay, goofy character stories, nothing but licensed music. Blech. 4 was a slight improvement, but not by much, and nowhere near the awesomeness that was 2.

I will give it one thing: if it had to get licensed music, I'm glad they got Rob Zombie and Pitchshifter. Too bad it was basically the same 4 or 5 tracks repeated over and over! And yes, everything else about it was absolute shyte. TW2 was gritty, raw, goofy, and completely immersive. TW3 just took it all and said "fuck it". Strategy for any level involved getting as many ricochets as you could, finding a safe corner and firing away.

They almost redeemed themselves with Twisted Metal Black, but nothing can really make up for TW3. If TW2 and TWB had a baby, the series would be back on its feet.

I had almost completely blocked out the horror that was

UGHHHHHHHHHHH!

I had almost completely blocked out the horror that was

Oh, god, that game made me want to tear my hair out. And it was the first Bubsy title I had ever played...I can't play the first two now because of it.

I would also say that Legaia 2: Duel Saga was absolutely terrible

Mega Man X5-8 were terrible compared to the first 4, but I think Mega Man X6 holds the title for the worst of the series, followed closely by X7. I did like Command Mission though.

I liked Sonic Adventure, especially the Sonic stages, but Adventure 2 was extremely bad.

LoZ: Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks both! I loved WindWaker, but the two subsequent games were some of the biggest piles of crap I have ever laid my hands on. I think the controls were the worst...ugh.

Suikoden 3, 4, tactics, and 5: Suikoden 1 and 2 were awesome, amazing experiences, and had wonderful gameplay. But three and subsequent not only removed the ability to roam around freely throughout the world, they also(3 and tactics) took away the ability to control when and where you could pick up respective characters. Oh, and 3 was extremely bad...you couldn't even play the Hero as a main character...he was a side character and you played three seperate entities surrounding him. I will admit Tierkreis wasn't half bad though...other than the lack of control and more linear gameplay.

Any Dance Dance Revolution title past Extreme 2: still worth having, but it's bullshit having to play through a selection of "mainstream" music before you get to the good ole Japanese stuff.

And that's my rant on the subject

As I said earlier, X7 is about as bad as Mega Man gets. It's terrible in every aspect, except maybe some songs.

Mega Man X6 was rushed as all hell and sucked big dick; but its soundtrack was at least solid. Doesn't make up for its horrid level design, though (fight the same donut dragon 6 times in a row and call it a level). X5 wasn't as good as X4, but it still held up well and was a decent way to end things. And thennnnn we get the shit afterward. X8 gets some more love for being "a return to form", but I think ANYTHING coming after X7 is going to be praised just because of how fucking awful X7 was.

The DS Zelda games are bland and forgettable. Not terrible, but there is no reason to play through them twice. I'm still pissed about Spirit Tracks ruining the world of Wind Waker, though, so for that it deserves all the hate it can get.

And yeah, any Suikoden after Suikoden 2 is not worth playing.

While this isn't an example of a "worst sequel", while No More Heroes wasn't exactly the greatest game out there, I still had fun with it and enjoyed its stupid charm and fun bosses. No More Heroes 2 fixed a lot of problems I had with NMH1, but it seemed that Suda51 forgot to remember all of those things that made NMH great in the first place. Bosses are phoned-in and forgettable, outside of 3, maybe 4 (SPACESHIP VOLK TO MOTHER), the section controlling Shinobu was total ass thanks to terrible controls, you only played Henry in one boss fight, and all in all, everything felt very phoned in.

I have a lot of friends on other forums who hate everything Suda has ever done, and they constantly bitch about how NMH is the worst bad-game-pretending-it's-good ever made, and while I don't agree with that for the first game, I definitely get that vibe in many places in the sequel.