OCR01305 - Super Metroid "Dirty Sam"

djpretzel

Uh, this seems pretty simple. If you wanna say the mix is repetitive, just say it - hell, the ReMixer himself agrees, to some extent. If you wanna go further and argue that there's structural problems, or anything else, that's cool too. If you wanna say "I never would have passed this," that's fine too.

It's only problematic when you go further and say that the mix's approval represents fundamental problems with the panel or conclusively illustrates some sort of bias. Not only is that hard to prove - or disprove - it's also not directly related to what YOU think about THIS mix. This isn't too much to ask, and usually it's not a problem. Take out three or four words from Ari's original post, for example, and the rest of it is fine by me, although I might personally disagree with it.

Some of the responses to this very brief diss to the panel may have been overreactions, but seeing as the catalyst was easy to avoid, it's more productive to simply make your reviews about the piece, not the people who judged or posted it, and leave it at that.

Then you won't be "attacked" and the galaxy will be at peace.

For my money, I agree with many, including the ReMixer, that the piece is at times repetitious. I think Binnie's point about the last two minutes is fairly accurate. However, I feel there are other aspects that compensate enough for this.

I can only hear around 40% out of my right ear right now, and this song still sounds very full and clear sounding for me on headphones (unlike just about every other song I have, which lose alot of quality when I have these ear problems).

I read all the reviews before downloading, so I expected something pretty uninspiring. Normally I'm not a fan of repetition, but this had alot of clever and interesting things going on, and held my interest all the way through. I think it's great. It's executed very cleanly and with alot of good breaks and ideas. The song structure is a very nice change from the mainstream hits, it leaves every new surprise feeling even more special as they unfold. The wide range of sound techniques and effects puts this song above alot of other stuff on OCR for me.

I could comment about which sections triggered me in an imaginative and positive way, but I'd probably name just about everything, as it's all quite fascinating. I like experimental pieces, and this lets me eat whatever I want from the buffet... without trying to shove it down my face. This song tells me that while the sun is shining, you can be walking outside at a relaxed pace in summer or winter, and there's always colourful things going on for you to find inside the scenery. Great stuff.

wow that EP surprised me

i thought i was listening to adhesive boy for a second there but thats a good thing, i love adhesive boy (in a non sexual way)

now is this a 6 minute extension to just the secret area and title theme? thats pretty amazing

i dont think its too repetitive but then i consider it as just background music rather than lyric

soo anyways, the mix isnt bad, its nice to just have playing through your head phones while your browsin the forums

the highlight of the song is the EP

I'll agree with vig, as usual. This is one of the most non-intuitive songs I've ever heard. Seems the only reason it passed is due to the usual 'groove' bias. Hard to believe that any simple drum loop could be so groovy that it justifies looping virtually nonstop for 6 minutes on the same key with minimal changes on ye old metroid title theme. One redeeming quality is perhaps the break at 1:00. Its certainly a good direction this song could have taken to be more interesting. unfortunately it dies off quickly. Reappears later (loop) and dies again. A multitude of problems upon that; delayed strings show yet again that good samples still require a discipline of skill or they just sound bad. I will say the loop loop loop nature of this song is fitting as the standards here appear to loop loop loop downward in a spiral to oblivion.

There’s no justification here. Marc Star is WAY WAY better than this. A great example would be one of my all time favorite ocremixes 'Wild Arms RosettaRefrain OC ReMix' towards which this doesn't manage even the same realm of quality. Or of course 'Final Fantasy 8 Fantasy Rush OC ReMix'. No dice here.

I want Protricity's seed.

I must admit that after downloading and listening to it, I Shift+Deleted it without a second thought. Honestly I couldn't feel anything in this track. I'm not an musicalphile but when something sounds like that... Come on lets be realistic here. Its nothing special.

I'd like to know how long it stays on anyone's favourites list.

I would kill several puppies for the sake of having an entire remix done in the style of the bit from 1:03-1:20. 17 seconds of pure gold, and 5 and a half minutes of meh. The ambient stuff isn't bad, but let's face; Ambient + Metroid has been done, and done, and done, and done, and done. That 17 second bit is absolutely awesome though. Tough call on this one, but I've just been listening to generic Metroid ambient OCs for too long.

Oh, I also like the bit at 3:00 with the strings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is still one of my all-time favourite arrangements.

Fantastic stuff. I love the groove, I love the samples, and I love that Rhodes break-down like nothing else.

Great job, Marc. This is my favourite mix of yours. Definitely still gets played often after all of this time.

Hope to hear more of your stuff sometime! Where've you been?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I guess when judging on all the things you look for; you may not want the beat to reley on drumloops and catchyness. Though, I think this is one of the dopest beats i've heard on the site. I like AmiEvil & Mazedude. I just feel that there should be no reason this would not be accepted onto your site. But wow... I guess it was a close call? This is gonna raise the bar for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Just came back to this indirectly through a thread in the forums, and hot dang this is sexy times. I actually think the fact that the Rhodes break is so short really adds to the anticipation of its next appearance in the recap. And the strings at 3:00 are <3. This is the first ReMix I've saved to my hard drive in a long time.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

The Rhodes break is so memorable that I thought it made up the entire song.

The rest is not as impressive, but I enjoy the overall soundscape and the seamless blending of the different themes. The pan can cause slight headache at high volumes, but makes it more relaxing and atmospheric otherwise.

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01305 - Super Metroid "Dirty Sam"