Mario bros 2 - character select

fxsnowy

how fun is this?? that's about as articulate as i can get. totally dig it, especially the build up toward the end.

not counting the actual instruments, it sort of feels like there are just 4--like the select screen--that each have their moment to shine with their own personality.

why aren't there more remixes of this song??

why aren't there more remixes of this song??

Other than one of the best remixes of all time? No idea - it really is a good source. (gotta pimp out Mutherpluckin' B when I can).

Nice idea on this track, but it gets a little boring after it plays through once. Other than the instrumentation (which is really cool, by the way) there just doesn't seem to be anything that makes it stick that well. There's variety in the arrangement, and what arranging you have is neat, but it just feels too... sparse, overall.

One of the big issues is the dry presentation. Get some reverb in here - it just sounds hollow and unrealistic without at least a little. The samples are alright, but I think a little more humanization would help this quite a bit (it sounds like you put the effort into it, but then copy pasta some parts when they repeated, making the sequencing more noticeable).

It's a good idea, but it's not quite a postable OCR track, yet. Keep workin' at it, bro.

Ah, I really like the Asian sound. I have to agree though, there needs to be some reverb in there. Also, you might try changing that one flute sound to a dizi or something. There are some pretty good samples online that sound pretty realistic. When the one you used gets exposed, such as in the middle section, it just sounds kind of boring I guess... Also, it would be cool to add some Chinese opera gong hits in there somewhere! lol I LOVE those little gongs!

Well I enjoyed listening!

Other than one of the best remixes of all time? No idea - it really is a good source. (gotta pimp out Mutherpluckin' B when I can).

One of the big issues is the dry presentation. Get some reverb in here - it just sounds hollow and unrealistic without at least a little. The samples are alright, but I think a little more humanization would help this quite a bit (it sounds like you put the effort into it, but then copy pasta some parts when they repeated, making the sequencing more noticeable).

It's a good idea, but it's not quite a postable OCR track, yet. Keep workin' at it, bro.

thanks a lot for the advice. I have been playing music for years (im 17) but I never really understood what reverb actually is. I looked it up but still don't understand, is it like making the notes sound longer? like a pedal in a piano?

Reverb is an effect in the domain of time. It is essentially adding an artificial echo to make the instrument sound "bigger." Most often, you can hear it on solo instruments to make them sound more full and fleshed out.

Other than that, in the real world setting, every type of instrument has some kind of natural reverb. On most instruments, they even have overtones, which are nothing more than sympathetic frequencies chiming at the same time as the main note. The type and amount of reverb is based on a number of factors, but above all the size and shape of the room. That is why you hear the term "better acoustics."

Picking the right reverb is more of a matter of personal taste. However, some quick thoughts would be how organic you want an instrument to sound. For instance, an orchestrated piece would call for large reverbs as most concert halls have extreme ambiances. A drum kit, would require a smaller reverb with more thought put into each piece of the kit (IE more verb on the snare and crash with less on the high hat and bass drum).

For your instruments, I would start small and then work my way up. Don't go overboard since you are going for a more organic sound, but do make sure each instrument is given a special touch by yourself.

Of course, that is just my approach. I am sure someone on here can give you much better advice. But as far as the arrangement goes, it sounds good. You could really use something to fill in some of the gaps though, as part of the arrangement sound a little thin. The ending would also be better if you could pull a few more bars out after the build up. It seems like too strong of a section to relegate it to such an abrupt ending. Just my two cents though. Keep up the good work.

Well here's a sample of reverb.

No Reverb

Reverb

You'll notice that in the 'no reverb' sample it sounds very bare bones, while in the reverb sample it sounds like it's being played in a hall of sorts. There is nothing different from the samples except that I applied reverb to them with a plugin.

Essentially, reverb is there to emulate the acoustics of an environment (in this case, an orchestral hall). It can be used for other effects, but 90% of the time when people ask for reverb they mean they want the sound of an acoustic hall added to the sound. I don't know what program you use, but if you want reverb normally you look for a plugin for it.