OCR02209 - Mega Man 7 "Slash Claw"

djpretzel

I am a huge fan of Morse's funky fantastic and fabulously fresh, fun, free fusions!! When Sonata of the Damned got referenced I immediately went and torrented it, since I missed it the first time around. Ditto for Robo Museum.

As I think I've read somewhere, Morse is "on a mission to prove that not all jazz is "elevator music," not all video game music is "bleeps and bloops," (fr the Heroes vs Villains homepage bio blurb) and he succeeds at this wonderfully.

His work will always have a place on my summertime playlist. ALWAYS.

• 8 months later...

You know, I love it when an artist takes something in a more different direction, and going for a more latin influenced work on Slash Man definitely worked a charm for The Robot Museum. True, it already is somewhat tropical as it is given the visuals in the stage itself, but to see it advance to this level takes the cake. :)

Even then it manages to fit Morse's trademark style of fitting the melody in a tasteful chord-changed arrangement, while maintaining the funk influences he carried forward. The space is also well utilised and feels a lot like a live performance in a way too; let me say that the flutes in particular here sound very sublime (particularly with the solo at 2:55) and realised and fitted into the soundscape, and even the attention to detail to the instruments have been paid attention to when crafting the stereo space.

There's definitely nothing in here for me to fault this time; it's tasteful, unconventional, fits the stage, took the arrangement on its head, and I really dig how it all came out - a somewhat hidden gem on an already fine album, and I hope Morse's experimentation in different genres doesn't stop any time soon :D

I cracked such a guilty smile when I heard that genre-specific percussion panned hard left during the intro.

I really like everything about this song. All of the rhythmic elements here are sweetly layered and it all just works. The source is taken in a nice new direction. Honestly my only qualm is I would have personally loved if some "live" touches were given to it (eg. crowd ambience, banter from the various people playing the instruments, slightly more realistic room reverb and slapback). Again, a personally-desired touch to be sure, as what's here is solid as adamantium.

Sweetness. Delicious and tasty LATIN.

Latin music... Mega Man 7... dear god, is there any crazy combination of funkiness Joshua Morse CAN'T concoct? (Rhetorical answer: no.) This whole album is a testament to the ReMixer's versatility and all-around awesomeness, and I love it when I don't necessarily need to recognize a source tune to enjoy a song. This one is no exception; I'm a sucker for Latin rhythms and flutes and marimbas and... yeah. W00t. Everybody Mambo!

• 2 weeks later...

I once replaced Slash Man in a Famicom-styled rendition of Mega Man 7 with my custom Robot Master, Wombat Man. The music remained, of course, as did the jungle stage. Starts off with the lesser-known tropical funk, and at about 0:50 piano comes in with source usage. Slight breakdown at 1:31 that gives way to the source quickly after. This is a great take on the track; solo at 2:50. Back to source around a minute later, and it ends suddenly.

These still count as valid reviews, right? :P

LATIN MUSIIIIC

I made a latin jazz version of this song once. It sucked. :puppyeyes:

But I digress. Very nice grooves and shakers. I love me some shakers. But the piano seals the deal here, with the percussive chordal playing. The flute that comes in a bit later is a bit exposed, but it's tolerable.

Great latin vibe. I need to learn how to get a more upbeat feel. My latin music is usually pretty relaxed and subdued, but this is up and on its feet.

Love the whistles at 2:35. Really helps the festive hispanic feel you've got going, and so do the solos. Great work, dude. Love it. :D

Now, THIS, is Latin jazz, baby! This is absolutely tropical sounding and the arrangement, damn! Funky and just gushing with upbeat energy. Amazing drum work and I liked the flute solo. It even has that "tweet-ta-tweet tweet!" whistle that I enjoy in these kinds of songs. This would fit perfectly for a party.....and in a way it kinda reminds me of your Jungle ReMix from DKC2. That slowdown near the end was a great touch and this is just made for a tropical vacation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02209 - Mega Man 7 "Slash Claw"