Liontamer

ReMixer name: Cosmonal

Rreal name: Eric Fraga

Email address: ericfraga@gmail.com

Userid: 33016

Game: Black Belt (SEGA Master System)

Song(s): "Title Screen" & "Boss"

Remix title: "Black Medley"

Comments: I was gonna arrange only the "Boss" music, but later on added to the mix the title music, which I like too and it provided a cool way to open and end the arranged version, for the Black Belt fan I think :)

-------------------------------------------------

Black Belt definitely has some good tunes, so thanks for introducing me to it!

Raging Demon, eat your heart out!

http://www.smspower.org/uploads/Music/Hokuto_no_Ken_Black_Belt.zip - "Title Screen (Black Belt)" & "Boss (Black Belt)"

Right off the bat, the soundscape was too lo-fi. Definitely not a lot of high frequencies here; the sound quality lacks sharpness and the instruments sound distant from the listener as a result. The percussion was bland. Wasn't feeling the transition to the Boss theme at 1:08. At first it sounded cool, but really the segue was just sloppy. Super basic synth work at 1:22 with mechanical timing accompanied by the plodding, basic drums. The articulations really needed work so that the timing wasn't so stiff. It really just sapped a lot of energy out of the piece. Texturally, this had a lot of empty space as well.

The arrangement was pretty straightforward, but had a reasonable amount of expansion. It needed further variation and development for a pass there, but what was here was decent and definitely going in the right direction. Despite not feeling some of the sounds, there was still a bit of ear candy in the writing. I liked a lot of the grace notes and little background flourishes that added here and there to the melody. That said, this needs a lot of fine tuning with articulations, more sophisticated supporting instrumentation and some EQ work to bring out the potential here.

NO

- Title at beginning, 1:36 for boss

I'm glad I got to hear this soundtrack, there's some real fun stuff in here!

Larry's vote is really spot-on here. There's some really nice expansion on the original at times, but overall this is pretty straightforward, and needs a little more arrangement for it to be pushed over the bar. The flourishes are a nice touch, and I think you have a knack for that sort of thing, but you gotta expand further into your arrangements.

Overall the sounds just aren't cutting it here. Again Larry's explained this super-well, so I'm not going to add much. I'd work on adding some more humanization to the track, as well improving the overall sound quality.

Good start here, but it's in need of work.

NO

The transitions between the themes weren't that great. The first one at 1:08 was especially rough, but the later out to lead out the track was also pretty abrupt. As above, the additional supporting writing was good, but the arrangement is still too coverish. Try varying the melody and structure of the original, changing up the harmonies, or otherwise adding more interpretation of the original tunes.

Nothing really to add about the production: basic sounds which could be balanced better and rigid sequencing which makes the main part of the piece feel a bit dull.

NO