Terrifying Games

ShadowBlade

So last week, I found in the back alley by someone's garbage bin a stack of 21 playstation 2 games. All in good condition. So I took em'. Among them was Silent Hill 2. I had distant memories of the original game on ps1. So I thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm sure I won't sleep for months now. I was wondering what other games will scare the $h!t out of me and what makes them scary. I've played Resident Evil 3-5 and now the first 2 Silent Hills. What else would you people recommend?

Was Parasite Eve a horror game? I can't really remember.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzqWVUWw4zul6q-LUDfm8nVsaKI_HHMn29rOk5JY_5v_PWvEmJSw&t=1

$h!t

don't do this

swear or don't

Was Parasite Eve a horror game?

no, definitely not

unless you consider mutating mitochondria to be horrific

also it was an rpg so it's kinda hard to be afraid of something when you can destroy it in 3 seconds with [a summon]

for recommendations:

the Penumbra games, and their "sequel" Amnesia The Dark Descent

don't do this

swear or don't

no, definitely not

unless you consider mutating mitochondria to be horrific

also it was an rpg so it's kinda hard to be afraid of something when you can destroy it in 3 seconds with [a summon]

for recommendations:

the Penumbra games, and their "sequel" Amnesia The Dark Descent

That's my favorite way to spell shit.

Never heard of Penumbra. Shall check it out.

I've never played a Silent Hill game but they strike me as the closest thing to 'scary'. I've read thorough plot descriptions and analysis and the story seems pretty gripping and I enjoy it. (I've just never bothered with the games because FPS aren't my thing. Ugh)

Anything else seems... lame to me, which disappoints because I'd *love* to find a good game to actually scare me. Closest thing was probably Wizardry V when I was a kid...

I remember recently there was a game I read about that was supposed to be really scary. I don't remember the title. So I found some gameplay footage where the main character encounters a monster. I expected the monster to FLY over there when he saw him and start wailing on him, but that wasn't the case. The monster slowly shuffled over. Then hit him every few seconds. Slowly. While the guy breathed heavily. It didn't have a sense of urgency at all and even if you were playing the game and it hit you out of nowhere... okay. Um. So? There was no sense of danger to it.

I suppose there were parts of Shin Megami Tensei 2 for SNES that instilled moments of.. dread, sort of, and there were some creepy parts for sure. But nothing really fit in the 'scary' mold.

Fatal Frame 3 was pretty good for the startle factors. shit would pop out when you least expect it. your only defense is the camera obscura which you need to enter a 1st person mode. It's a hindrance although minor, isn't that minor when your in a rush or just "SURPRISE RAWR".

The soundtrack is good nightmare fuel and on a good surround system... yeah.

JP trailer

I've never played a Silent Hill game but they strike me as the closest thing to 'scary'. I've read thorough plot descriptions and analysis and the story seems pretty gripping and I enjoy it. (I've just never bothered with the games because FPS aren't my thing. Ugh)

Since when was silent hill a First Person Shooter?

Or am i living in that magical fantasy land where silent hill is 3rd person action survival horror game?

I'd really like to know somedays.

It might not be that scary now, but when I first got it when I was a kid, I was too scared to even play the game. I remember the music that played when you entered the houses was creepy as hell.

"Creepy house" music + actually running into Jason while in that house = the last time I ever played that game. I think I also peed myself a little bit too.

They said it above, but I'll say it again: Dead Space. I haven't played 2 yet but the first one is dirt cheeeeeap now. Dead space 1 nails the feeling of isolation and loneliness better than a lot of games I've played recently. And the story is pretty good to boot.

EDIT: To be fair, the monster things are probably the least scary part since you can kill them with a number of weapons, but honestly, Dead Space's environments and ambiance is what makes the game interesting imo. That said, those bad guys turn scary as shit when you run out of ammo. haha.

During my younger days Clive Barkers Undying scared me more then any game.

Dated i know, but bleh, just seeing it brings back fearful memories.

How did I manage to forget that game for a moment lol?

I freakin' loved that game. I'll give this deadspace a shot too. I've heard lots of people talking about it but I don't really know much about it.

"Dreams, they feel real while we're in them, right? It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange."

—Dom Cobb, Inception

I don't even remember ever finding it more scary than those red assholes in Zelda II in Death Mountain; Now if you were aiming for the "Freddy Krueger" aspect then maybe. Not to mention it was too easy to glitch through that game ridiculously.

I also didn't realize this one guy I knew had "Ommatophobia", fear of the eyes, and when he finally reach

in LoZ:Minish Cap he took the whole ending
; sort of a grand personal achievement. Didn't know what it meant to him till he told me about his phobia. 8-O

eac71fb9cafaad009b9004b.png

But hey going back on topic regarding Deadspace being scary. It's not so much scary as something that could incapacitate you from doing anything as it's more of light body horror as well as imagining such creatures overtaking humanity ala "grey goo" effect; or rather "organic goo" effect in this case.

Seriously the idea of this monstrosity overtaking the entire world rapidly is more frightening than actually fighting them. Probably the on thing that makes the Necromorphs less frightening as they can't hide amongst humans as easily as that thing can. Not to mention seemingly much more resilent.