OCR02210 - Mega Man 6 "Yamato Spear"

djpretzel

• 8 months later...

Awesome semi-club-banger mixed in with some kabuki drama; It really can't be said any better than WesternZypher did.

I really enjoy the hard panned synth/stacatto panflute/whatever that enters in at 2:01, and the steady beat and sidechained synths sound great pulsing underneath some more organic sounds. The ending is straight up crazy robot malfunction, and it sounds *awesome*.

I went through the intro expecting awesome kabuki-ness. Oh, I got awesome kabuki-ness... MIXED WITH EPIC FUNKY DANCE-NESS.

Funk bias? None at all. Don't believe me? Listen. The creativity in this... the pure awesome bottled inside... you could sell it and make a fortune. AND ITS FREE.

MOAR MORSE CODE FOR ME, PLEASE! :razz:

• 2 weeks later...

Again, here's what I've said about this track.

Ooh, what a vibe right off the bat. I liked how Yamato Man had the rivalry with Knight Man and Tomahawk Man. But he got named JapanMan in EXE sooo… Then again, Tomahawk Man became TmhwkMan. Source at 0:37 or so. Groovy and funky, with great source usage and ethnic feel to it. But that quickly gives way to the funk. Everything gives way to the funk; such is the way of funk. Breakdown at 2:29. Source returns at 3:00. This is phenomenal; Mega Man ain’t ever been this sexy! The end is near at 4:20 or so.

Hehe, Yamato Man - clearly one of the more more ridiculous Robot Masters in terms of design; no one had any idea that it would end up being one of the more quirky and rememberable robot masters in the entire series.

Even here it's an appropriate tribute - fusing together Morse's signature beats with traditional instrumentation, the source has been handled in a very tasteful funk while going through strictly pentatonic scales (appropriate given the source selection). The source itself is handled tastefully; appears hidden within the mood build in the intro before making more of a dignified presence around past the 1:30 mark. That similar presence is made within the last minute too, though there's even some original writing merit at 2:30 as the source manages to take a backseat through some solid gate manipulation and a well programmed shakuhachi solo - one of the huge highlights of the track for me.

This to me feels like bliss; just like with "Slash Claw", he paid homage to Yamato Man's roots and fused it with his signature funk-driven style with this tasteful, well programmed arrangement. A great way to pay homage to an otherwise overshadowed title in the classic Mega Man series :D

Heh, nice funky-semi-Japanese ReMix you got here, Morse. Yamato Man really was ridiculous, but his theme was still good, and you really expanded on it with some groovin' jazz beats. I love how you were able to keep some ethnic feel to this ReMix while making it into something you can really dance to. I wasn't crazy about the glitchy part right around 2:50,but other than that one small thing, I loved this tune. Truly nice work, man.

• 6 months later...

Whoa, funky yet features an ethnic sound. I love Joshua's work in general (as I repeat ad naseum), and this song is no exception. This track is unique with the asian ethnic sound approach to it, being in a lot of ways heavier than Joshua's normal funk heavy sound. I like seeing this branching out of style that has happened more recently in Joshua's work, and here we even have some crazier electronic effects about 2/3 of the way through the song.

Just an overall package that keeps things fun and yet features a unique flair.

• 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02210 - Mega Man 6 "Yamato Spear"