Monotron: Anyone seen this?

Draconiator

I've always wondered: do these things come with presets? Or are they largely dependent on the sound library you already have?

Plus, it sounds like you'd really need an automatic-tuner for something like this, because your whole song can't be off-key or glissandos.

No presets, it's just a basic, small analogue synth, 1 oscillator, 1 LFO (assignable to either pitch or cut-off) and a low pass filter. It also has an aux input so you can plug any sound source into it, using it as an external filter unit, that's handy in itself even without the synthesis part.

But yes it is hard to play melodies on the small keyboard and does have a variable pitch knob so basically it can be tuned and detuned. I use mine more for making sounds rather than melodies. Still extremely good value, I strongly reccommend them

No presets, it's just a basic, small analogue synth, 1 oscillator, 1 LFO (assignable to either pitch or cut-off) and a low pass filter. It also has an aux input so you can plug any sound source into it, using it as an external filter unit, that's handy in itself even without the synthesis part.

But yes it is hard to play melodies on the small keyboard and does have a variable pitch knob so basically it can be tuned and detuned. I use mine more for making sounds rather than melodies. Still extremely good value, I strongly reccommend them

What's the battery life like on it? And what kind of batteries does it take?

The only thing off-putting is that there's no MIDI cable... So for us laptop shmucks, there's little this can do outside of be a cool toy.

I'm not sure if MIDI-compatible ribbon synths even exist. I've never seen one before, at least.

EDIT: It would be really easy to record it through the line-in on a laptop since it uses an 1/8" headphone out.