OCR02212 - Final Fantasy VI "Forever, Young Rachel"

djpretzel

I thought the tuning on the vocals was a little questionable, but apart from that, I found little to no fault with this song. I really enjoyed it, and I think the vocalists are quite talented. Some might say the absence of auto-tune allows for a more emotive performance. In this digital age where everything is auto-tuned, people probably expect that. But nay, I say, this song is great. I liked the dark tone of it so much that I searched out the original source which I wasn't familiar with. Definitely hearing the ties in there. As a whole, I'd give it 8 out of 10 cans of potted meat -- very good work, not completely perfect (what music ever is?) but definitely a very well put together and emotive work of art.

I really wish Poolside had been around for longer, because it is such a distinct sound, I love that sound, and their library is still too small. Shine Tonight, recently discovered, is now my morning alarm and gets a few more listens almost every day, and I was crazy-stoked to see this on the front page.

After a couple listens...it's good, but not up to the high bar they've set for themselves with previous work. The write-up sums up production issues. The arrangement seems rather empty at times, and a bit repetitive. Sounds like the vocals were brought way up front, but that might just be because there's not always a lot under them.

However, the vocals are phenomenal. Josh's style is one of the reasons I was so excited to listen, and Melinda's pipes impressed me. Her tone and interpretation continue to get better with each release. Harmonies are pure, lyrics are genuine (if a little sappy).

Oh, and you can't go wrong with the source. Glad they played it conservative on this one.

You finished it?! WOW. This is the first song I've followed out of the WIP thread to release, then.

This is still good, though, to tell the truth, it's nowhere near the quality of Poolside's other works. The garbled intro is a bit strange, and the male vocalist (Josh?) doesn't seem to go well with the song until the second half. Of course, Melinda's vocal work is amazing as always, and Poolside once again shows excellent taste in picking songs to remix.

In the end, it's still a decent remix, but it just feels a bit... Unrefined compared to their other works. If I was introducing someone to them, I wouldn't necessarily use this one. But I'm definitely downloading it; ANY Poolside remix is worth that much, at least.

Poolside isn't on my radar for some reason. Haven't been following their releases. That being said, while this remix may be technically okay, I don't see myself putting it on repeat. It was the same case with their Super Meat Boy mix, too. Maybe it's just me not liking electropop much.

I will say this though, thanks to Xarnax for directing me to Shine Tonight in this thread. I really liked it. After listening to it, I agree with Inferno in a sense that Poolside's latest track seems to be missing something.

I would prefer the vocals to be a bit more wet, they sound pretty dry to me - which is no mistake or fault, I am just talking about preferences here.

Sure enough there are a few instances where the vocals are not 100 percent on note, but this takes nothing away from a good listening experience.

This is a great interpretation of an amazing source tune and shows us crystal clear what a personal note on a remix is all about.

Thumbs up (and kudos for the SFTC project as well, of course)!

• 2 weeks later...

I was cringing a tad when the first male vocal session commenced (29s), as it sounded a bit flat. I also noticed that listening to it in segments, such as starting at 28s onward it doesn't sound flat, but then when listening from 19s it does. I guess the preceding part leaves me expecting a tad more energy in the vocals.

I realized later in the song that the openings sounded a bit sour because they were designed seemingly for the duet that happens later on. Kind of interesting really. It sounds awkward isolated, yet much better in tandem.

Hard to forget Locke and Rachel.

2:25 sounds so much like Sonata Arctica. XD

Still digging this song.

Agree on the Sonata Arctica. I was looking for Tony Kakko's belting. :<:-D

Though, of a differing opinion; the song is okay, but I have a feeling so much could be done to improve it. There is potential, but nothing shines out. The lyrics are gorgeous, the composition is alright, and the singers are good, but it still lends me to wanting something.

Vocals maybe a little dry, and the synth and voice at the beginning just doesn't seem to mesh well. That, and the vocal comes out way too quiet to be heard through my monitors.

I hope I'm being helpful. :grin:

ETA: The more I listen, the more I like it. I still think a bit more work on the vocals would be good, though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I realized later in the song that the openings sounded a bit sour because they were designed seemingly for the duet that happens later on. Kind of interesting really. It sounds awkward isolated, yet much better in tandem.

Interesting thought.

In my opinion, the male vocals are overpowering the female vocals a bit during the chorus; a little more balancing would have been good.

• 5 months later...

I absolutely love this mix - the vocals really help this mix strike a chord in a great way. The interplay here is executed well. The arrangement helps showcase the duet well. Somehow I feel the arrangement can be improved upon, but admittedly I do not know how. What is there is quite sweet and definitely gets a good amount of play from me.

Thanks for this phenomenal mix!

• 10 months later...

The vocals had a lot of emotion and this yet again shows how well Poolside work together on these pieces. I have to admit, even though I liked the lite panpipe/vocoded idea, something didn't click with me at first and it kinda bothered me, but as the song went on, it didn't seem like an issue to me. This is one of those ReMixes that seem to get better with each listen, and overall, I liked it. Very nice ReMix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02212 - Final Fantasy VI "Forever, Young Rachel"