Koume & Kotake - [OoT Remix]

You don't want feedback on how to improve it? :tomatoface: I don't think I can resist. :P

It's repetitive both in sound and arrangement, has some mixing problems, has some questionable sound choices.

The conservative use of the melody is ok for one or two instances of it, but for most part it goes on for too long using just the same thing. Working on the progression to create build-ups towards big parts and breakdowns here and there would also improve the overall repetition thing. Repetition is more tolerable when there's a sense that it's heading somewhere. You know, kind'a like those epic trance things with crazy long buildups of just the same thing with a filter opening. Dynamics. Pacing.

Soundwise, it'd be cool if the sounds would change more. It's empty, so a pad or some comping rhythm behind the lead would be cool. It's also a good tool to use to change the chordal landscape and the emotional landscape that stems from it. Having a different lead to bring in would let you vary the sounds too, and there's no harm in adding some arpeggios or gate a pad or something.

The bass drum overpowers everything. Yes, the pumping is a staple of the genre, but here it's overdone. Side-chain it and be selective with the tracks you pump. That a pad and the bass are ducked under the bass drum is fine, but the lead melody just doesn't sound good when treated like this. I also get a sense of this track being a big too heavy on the lows compared to mids and highs.

Reverb on the bass? Usually not a good idea. The snare/clap thing bothers me, it should be tighter imo. The lead isn't pretty. The bass drum is really hard compared to the other sounds in the mix.

All in all, it seems like a single idea or two ideas that don't sound much different stretched to longer than they should, and with a generic dance backing. Get more ideas and do more.

If you're not looking to improve this one, consider these crits and learn from them for your future mixing endeavors. At this point, it's not very enjoyable to my ears, for some of the aforementioned reasons (some of them I don't mind as much). Take what you can from the feedback, use it to improve, and make better music. And come show us. Without the attitude. :P

You don't want feedback on how to improve it? :tomatoface: I don't think I can resist. :P

It's repetitive both in sound and arrangement, has some mixing problems, has some questionable sound choices.

The conservative use of the melody is ok for one or two instances of it, but for most part it goes on for too long using just the same thing. Working on the progression to create build-ups towards big parts and breakdowns here and there would also improve the overall repetition thing. Repetition is more tolerable when there's a sense that it's heading somewhere. You know, kind'a like those epic trance things with crazy long buildups of just the same thing with a filter opening. Dynamics. Pacing.

Soundwise, it'd be cool if the sounds would change more. It's empty, so a pad or some comping rhythm behind the lead would be cool. It's also a good tool to use to change the chordal landscape and the emotional landscape that stems from it. Having a different lead to bring in would let you vary the sounds too, and there's no harm in adding some arpeggios or gate a pad or something.

The bass drum overpowers everything. Yes, the pumping is a staple of the genre, but here it's overdone. Side-chain it and be selective with the tracks you pump. That a pad and the bass are ducked under the bass drum is fine, but the lead melody just doesn't sound good when treated like this. I also get a sense of this track being a big too heavy on the lows compared to mids and highs.

Reverb on the bass? Usually not a good idea. The snare/clap thing bothers me, it should be tighter imo. The lead isn't pretty. The bass drum is really hard compared to the other sounds in the mix.

All in all, it seems like a single idea or two ideas that don't sound much different stretched to longer than they should, and with a generic dance backing. Get more ideas and do more.

Oh Roz. Of course you couldn't resist. ;)

Firstly, our tastes in mixes and sounds is very different. With that in mind, I disagree with about half of your feedback.

I am fine with repetition. Repetition in dance music is vital - just like a drum loop. The arrangement is very close to the original with a few more repititions of the source. That's how it was made. That's what I had in mind when I was mixin' it. If that's not kewl with u, ok.

You don't think the lead is pretty? I do. I love that sound. It's one of my faves. I tried the bass without a slight reverb. Sounded like crap. Dimension expander seemed like it belonged with that sound. I couldn't find a clap/snare I liked, so I took a mediocre one and played it twice, stretching out the sounds to catch the ear. I'm not a fan of 1hit-and-then-it's-over snares. Or drum snares for that matter. And pads = no no. Pads don't belong in a club, yo. Only in chill and trance. IMO.

My goal in a dance mix is to have a BADASS kick, so of course, I overpower it. On purpose. The kick is the heartbeat of the track. The blood pumper. You spend 25% of your mixing time getting your bass kick right. I SUCK at mixing the bass kick and the bass. I know that. It's a flaw I have. But the bass kick is overpowering. And I like it that way. Again, it's cool if you don't. I like to feel that mutha in my STOMACHE even at low volume. ;)

I heavily side-chained the melody because I felt like some of the notes that were on the beat weren't as important as the ones off-beat. I would have killed them all off (melody notes on the beat) for a more interesting perspective, but I didn't like the sound. Needed some of them to stay, so I kept all of em. At a lower velocity on the beat.

Now for the parts I agree with. I agree that the sounds stay the same, and that there are very little buildups/filters/dynamic changes. That's something I struggle with as well. Yeah I can work on that. That's some good feedback. Arps and gates = WIN. Yes I very well could have added a sexy arp or gate at the end for a sparkle. Great idea. When I wrote the track I just added 8 instruments in from start to finish. That very well could have been 15 or even 20, with the instruments/elements coming in at specified times for more interesting sounds/buildups.

Thank you for your interesting and somewhat superfluous feedback. :)

Ok I'm listening again :P. Not going to base it on OCR standards since you don't want that so I'll listen to it purely from a subjective standpoint.

I still think the overcompression shows in the lead, but w/e its nothing that kills the mix. The production is nice, that kick is nice and strong. I like the sound choices... I think it gets a bit repetitive, style choice or not.

Nice mix tho, probably wouldn't download it myself based on preference but I can see some electro-house junkies that would :D

Lead sounded pretty bland after a certain point. It was cool for like the first minute, but I heard no automation or anything on that lead so the "staticness" of the lead kinda ruined the listening experience. Also, there are no lyrics to this song so I def expect some sort of variation in the arrangement and dynamics since all you have are synths to keep the song moving which there was very little of that. Not trying to bash, these are just things I subconsciously listen for in songs, still doesn't hurt to take those things into consideration though

Overall, song wasn't bad It was a nice listen, I can def dance to it lol. =D

You got potential dude, unless of course this is purely hobby and you're not trying to get anywhere with it. Just stay true to yourself and your music.

@BlackPanther,

That was some good feedback. I thank you for noticing potential in me :) I love music and the dance genre a lot. I don't know if I'll ever go anywhere with it. I love doing it as a hobby though.

On a side note, I saw you post a comment on one of Jonathan's (PrototypeRaptor) mixes on FB the other day! It was pretty cool seeing that lol. He is my idol, my hero, and my inspiration. ;) LOVE all of his stuff.