FL 10 is out

awesome! was not expecting this so soon. :)

Same! This is a pleasant surprise. Long story short, I put together a 10-hour video tutorial series on FL Studio only to find out they were redesigning the interface in version 10 - thus, rendering the tutorials obsolete. But now I get to finish them. =)

Thanks for spreading the good news BGC.

YES!

I entered the cash giveaway because I'm not allowed to buy FL Studio for myself. If in the extreme rare case that I do get a cash prize, I'm going to get the sig bundle and if I get the $510 or $1010, I'll get Harmless and Gross Beat since a lot of my projects use those plug-ins.

Also, 64 bit plugin support?

Can I get a WUT WUT

And yeah, I liked how they did the name: "FL STUD10".

That demo song's making wanna grab Newtone/Pitcher, too.

Try it without Pitcher enabled. I changed to my card's ASIO driver and 48KHz in the middle of listening, and FL forced me to reload the song...at which point it disabled the demo plugins. I don't like the singer's generic voice anyway, but it got a lot better without the random pitch bullshit.

I simultaneously like and hate the piano roll overhaul. I like the on-note velocity display and relative brightness linked to velocity, but I hate the cartoony Apple-inspired roundness of the notes and the fact that the relative brightness is actually a little too subtle to be of much use to me.

I liked the fact that the pattern blocks that were supposed to disappear in this version are still around, likely due to the massive amount of bitching on the forums (not just IL, but also KVR, etc.). "Precomputed Effects" have been legacy since at least v5 and they're still around, so who knows.

v10 also seems a bit quicker all around, but I won't know for sure until I load and play around with some of my last few large projects.

I've just used wide tracks so much from the beta I never asked anyone's preference, so now I can't do anything in the skinny mixer tracks anymore and I'm stuck with the "lame" choice. :C

I simultaneously like and hate the piano roll overhaul. I like the on-note velocity display and relative brightness linked to velocity, but I hate the cartoony Apple-inspired roundness of the notes and the fact that the relative brightness is actually a little too subtle to be of much use to me.

It makes me sad when people don't do a little exploration.

First thing you should do in a new FL Studio install? See if you can get the old stuff back. You can. For the original piano, hit "ABC" under the pitch bend button up top left. For square notes, go to the top left menu in the piano roll, hit view, uncheck "rounded".

For square notes, go to the top left menu in the piano roll, hit view, uncheck "rounded".

I would have found that after more than the literally 3 minutes I spent playing with it (just to make sure everything worked right), but thanks for the pointer. My complaint about cartoony roundness was mainly a swipe at gol and his drive to make things "look professional" while he continues to pimp out Fruit-Chan et. al.

I haven't actually gotten around to trying out FL10 yet, but isn't subtle relative-brightness linked to velocity an old feature?

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed it. From first impressions, a mixed bag. As I imagined, no major changes that affect me, but it's all the little UI tweaks that I'm either pleased or worried about.

for one i'm worried about the change in behavior of right-click dragging a horizontal scrollbar. It used to be that that would let you scroll in both X and Y directions, but now it just seems to be scroll X + zoom X. And zoom X is something I almost never do!

also, if pattern blocks are dying, what was supposed to be their supposed proper way to select an arbitrary pattern? The only two things I see are the pattern selector at the top (ugh), or right-clicking that, or clicking in the title ba of the playlist...

I'm looking forward to playing with patcher though, hopefully it's good. =D

edit: i guess the new "pan in X and Y is middle mouse button, which is a problem because my mouse doesn't have one. hmmmmm....."

edit2: ...but one of my other mouse buttons works fine for it, yay.

overall verdict, there is nothing really new for me here aside from potentially patcher (maybe???), but an update is an update. it'll basically just be me learning a few new UI things and readjusting my shortcuts and such. I'll probably discover one or two shortcuts and such that already existed in previous versions too, hahaha.

edit!

okay, patcher can't add 3xOscs. it's useless to me now. i'm left with almost nothing good to say about this version =( probably one of the only things that i like is the ghost note display in the piano roll, which i think will be useful when i'm doing harmonies with two monophonic synths (TS404!). i disagree with most of the other interface changes. poo.

edit!

okay, patcher can't add 3xOscs. it's useless to me now. i'm left with almost nothing good to say about this version =( probably one of the only things that i like is the ghost note display in the piano roll, which i think will be useful when i'm doing harmonies with two monophonic synths (TS404!). i disagree with most of the other interface changes. poo.

Ghost notes have been in there way before 9

Also, if you don't like pattern selection, reenable pattern blocks and use that to select your patterns.

...which settles it, now i have nothing good to say at all. =( was the double-right-click behavior in as well?

Also, if you don't like pattern selection, reenable pattern blocks and use that to select your patterns.

I did, but I was just wondering what the "correct" (lol) way to select them was.

True on the pattern blocks, but Gol's indicated they're going to go away completely some time in the future. I haven't messed with things enough in FL 10 to talk definitively, but I have yet to find anything that adequately replaces the functionality of having the patterns visible on the left side of the playlist.

And yes, I briefly checked out the Picker. It literally fills the whole screen with stuff to select from. No thanks :(