link's awakening - elegy of the solipsist

melody

haha doc, you sure you don't mean a three-handed retard? or maybe he's just picking up the piano.

Haha, I was talking about the part immediately after those first four bars you showed. Where the same low- and mid-range parts are more or less repeated, but then another melodic line suddenly comes in at a higher register. Just a little unexpected and weird, but something about the mixing in your new post makes it stand out less. Or I'm getting used to it.

I'm really happy with how this is sounding at this point. I'd say you're good to go. But you should know by now not to trust me on mixing matters.

Thanks for putting this smile on my face:

Links%20Awakening%20-%20Link%20Smiles-620x.jpg

The piano is expressive, has a rich, crisp sound to it and a deepness that fits the mood of this piece like a glove imo.

Drums are punchy yet not too aggressive, though the loud hi-hat makes the beat more hip-hop geared.

The bass (mix of fret & slap?) wraps around the percussive elements, complementing them really well.

The ethereal pads coupled with the reverb-coated voice clips succeed in building a tangible dreamscape and dreamy atmosphere.

My only real gripe is that the shakuhachi sample may be a bit too incisive on the ears.

It feels a little like waking up from a pleasant dream ...to the sound of an alarm clock. ;P

The overall interpretation is lively and engaging, with interesting variations and a nice attention to detail in the instrumental performances.

As usual, digging the emotion you put in your music, and that cool, distinctive jazzy vibe that keeps my ears glued to the music till the end.

Best of luck with the sub! Can't wait to hear what else you have in store for 2011. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

hey guys, not to resurrect a dead thread but i just got news that the mix passed the panel, and i owe everyone here a huge thanks for being an integral part of the process! there were a couple of weak areas that the judges graciously brought to my attention so i took it as an opportunity to re-produce the whole mix. check out the updated op for a link to the remastered mix as well as a preview of my debut album that is dropping on october 31st!

much love guys,

melody