"Press button - get music" ALSO COMPLAIN ABOUT FL STUDIO

eilios

Why is it that people think that all electronic music takes no skill at all to make? Is it because there's no physical instruments sometimes? Is it because it's programmed, and not recorded? It's like people think there's a magic button that you press to instantly come up a 7+ minute electronic track. I don't get it.

I mean, I'm an electronic musician, but I also play drums, baritone, trombone, I'm teaching myself piano, and electronic music does require just as much knowledge in theory and etc as any other genre. And it's not like you're using no instruments, synthesizers are still instruments...

It's mildly annoying when people say this, but where the hell does this sentiment come from?

Why is it that people think that all electronic music takes no skill at all to make? Is it because there's no physical instruments sometimes? Is it because it's programmed, and not recorded? It's like people think there's a magic button that you press to instantly come up a 7+ minute electronic track. I don't get it.

I mean, I'm an electronic musician, but I also play drums, baritone, trombone, I'm teaching myself piano, and electronic music does require just as much knowledge in theory and etc as any other genre. And it's not like you're using no instruments, synthesizers are still instruments...

It's mildly annoying when people say this, but where the hell does this sentiment come from?

Well, some electronic music DOES take no skill to make. I'm not referring to any specific genre, I'm talking about specific songs. When a song is literally a common chord progression in a preset synth playing over drumloops for 7+ minutes, the "no skill" label is completely accurate. The real shame is that songs of that nature tend to color the entire spectrum of electronica in the minds of some, making it seem to them that all electronic music requires no skill.

Well said, I do agree on this. I've been gradually learning theory for electronic, and I've had people asking me "Why the hell do you need theory? Can't you just pull some awesome beat from midair and base it off that?" For what I want to do? No, I can't.

Well, some electronic music DOES take no skill to make. I'm not referring to any specific genre, I'm talking about specific songs. When a song is literally a common chord progression in a preset synth playing over drumloops for 7+ minutes, the "no skill" label is completely accurate. The real shame is that songs of that nature tend to color the entire spectrum of electronica in the minds of some, making it seem to them that all electronic music requires no skill.

Also a good point, unfortunately. This sort of music seems to permeate the music industry at the moment, my main irks being the Black Eyed Peas (especially will.i.am and his many questionable methods of making music) and people like Justin Bieber (Who can apparently sing well and grab the occasional guest and make records with shit music). On the flip side, there are many musicians who are unsung, and should garner more attention from their work.

Prophecy hit the nail on the head: majority of the music we hear has been made poorly on FL Studio or some other program. It takes a little work to give the music the same dynamics and rule of law that natural, less simplistic instruments have naturally. However, sleazy fools don't do that; they make something that they figure that people will listen to for the sake of money, and the whole slothful procedure has become a BUSINESS!

Jazz is just about playing wrong notes.

Prophecy, GLL and I were just talking about that.

he's got a point though. FL is incredibly easy to pick up and learn how to use right out of the box, but much like what deviantart did for terrible artists, the downside is that FL allows a lot of impatient, egoistic, and horrifically untalented people to make crap and dump it off in music portals across the internet.

he's got a point though. FL is incredibly easy to pick up and learn how to use right out of the box, but much like what deviantart did for terrible artists, the downside is that FL allows a lot of impatient, egoistic, and horrifically untalented people to make crap and dump it off in music portals across the internet.
This whole strain of argument is just stupid because there's no resolution. I hear it all the time with graphics programs as well (Charlemagne, what are you on about using DA as an example? It just hosts images, it doesn’t create them.)

Someone writes something terrible in FL, they get rich, fucking well done the person who did that, you are now rich through little effort. I don’t see the problem guys, what exactly do you want fixed? Should we ban software accessibility?

It’s like earlier, when people bitch about topical popstar (Justin Beiber) or the evil music industry, if there wasn't a market for that stuff then it wouldn't be stupidly popular and these people would not be rich. You’re telling me that if you got the opportunity to write, I dunno, Lady Gaga’s next big hit for $4.Squllion, you’d turn it down because it just isn’t art and you’d be killing music? I guess it depends on how strongly you believe in the morals of longitudinal waves through air as a medium I suppose ;D.

Anyway stop being pretentious. Writing music on a computer takes some degree of skill and the ability to translate what’s in your head to reality. What about the multitude of kids who learn a few chords on guitar and start thinking they’re fucking musical gods? FL (or any other kind of software that does something that was initially not digital ever) has only done good to art as is gives free, accessible and personalised expression, whether you like that expression or not. It’s not cheating, it’s just a different skill.

Branden's comment about FL was probably the luziest of the lot.

I actually wrote a mini paper on this topic for English. :P

It's not the DAW, it's the people behind it.

FL Studio is easy to learn. So what? It's hard to master.

Those who do master it crank out insane results. Mass Effect 2 has FL Studio in it. :P

And I don't think Brandon has ever contributed anything worth while about this subject. He's still stuck in the "physical music REPRESENT" phase and doesn't believe in anything electronic.

Just saying, I don't think you guys realize how much sound crap is made in DAW's other than FL Studio. :P

Also, why isn't this in Community? I think it's something to entire community of musicians on this site (yeah, I didn't know there were musicians on this site either) could make a comment on.

What about the multitude of kids who learn a few chords on guitar and start thinking they’re fucking musical gods?

+infinity

So many people grab a guitar, maybe do 2 chords repeated an entire song, come up with some painfully rhyming lyrics, and then assume they're the ultimate musician and demand everyone respect their skills. And while it is true that a bunch of people will just go on FL Studio, load up the default samples and put an instance of slayer and some 3xosc and call it a song, it's also true that there are people making some fantastic music using it as well.

Sure there's people who learn it and make substantial music with it like zircon
it's also true that there are people making some fantastic music using it as well.
FL CORPS. REPRESENT allcaps

what i said it first and you bashed me

noob

and don't keep making assumptions about my music, you told me yourself you haven't listened to much and the stuff you did hear you said was "mostly acoustic", which is nonsense.

when my electronica song from FF1 hits that i made in FL Studio & Cubase, it's going to blow you away, and you're gonna be like damn, i wish i was this good at fl studio

trollface.jpg

just tellin' it as it is bro

when my electronica song from FF1 hits that i made in FL Studio & Cubase, it's going to blow you away, and you're gonna be like damn, i wish i was this good at fl studio

Somebody got tolded. Yeah, tolded. Once Darkesword isn't looking, I shall take the sentence and sig quote it.

Soulja-Boy.jpg

Sure, I'll pass the eye bleach.

I don't think I'd ever wish for a time when I need Cubase to write music because I can't do it in FL Studio.

And just saying, your skill at music doesn't show your skill at a DAW.