"Press button - get music" ALSO COMPLAIN ABOUT FL STUDIO

eilios

I find that musicians who have never used a DAW are kind of frightened by it, and as a result they instantly come to hate electronic music because they feel like it invalidates their own method of making music (which absolutely untrue).

You mean FL Studio, not DAWs in general... electronic musicians can be afraid of Cubase 5, come to hate real instrumental music, and militantly defend FL Studio as a result. :-P

I hate on FL in front of neblix cause I know he's very intolerant of that and I think it's funny, aka trolling. But i recognize some people make awesome music with it. IMO someone who considers FL the best DAW and doesn't try to learn something like Cubase too is really limiting themselves. Even zirc uses Reaper, same basic idea. Until FL gets a proper audio recording interface, it's going to be a sequencer / beat generator to me..

You mean FL Studio, not DAWs in general... electronic musicians can be afraid of Cubase 5, come to hate real instrumental music, and militantly defend FL Studio as a result. :-P

bLiNd made electronic music in Cubase, dumbass.

FL Studio is not only for electronic music. Your narrow minded view of music production is exactly why you have no credibility on this topic and insist on showing you're better than me rather than contributing anything worthwhile to the discussion (which, by the way, has NOTHING TO DO with me).

bLiNd made electronic music in Cubase, dumbass.

FL Studio is not only for electronic music. Your narrow minded view of music production is exactly why you have no credibility on this topic and insist on showing you're better than me rather than contributing anything worthwhile to the discussion (which, by the way, has NOTHING TO DO with me).

Man Neblix, we fam and all but you got trolled so hard it's insane.

neblix, can we for once mention FL without you running all over the thread saying basically the same thing AGAIN? Please?

As for the topic, I find that ppl who really like music don't care how it's done because they know the skill involved. As said before, it's easy to just throw a arp chord and a drum loop together and loop it for n minutes and call it music. What makes computer stuff so much easier is that you don't even have to record your crappy guitar playing with poor equipment, you can just put it together with some downloaded stuff.

So it's easier to make "music" with a DAW than with a physical instrument, but it's still just as hard to make great music. Countless hours, countless attempts, some short-term ragequits, lots of ego damage; it takes a lot of work and a long time to make anything good.

The computer is just another tool, and as with every tool, there's a time of adjustment. Until the average parent has used it, it's gonna be a toy for the younger generation - 20 years from now they may teach DAW stuff in elementary school music classes, and parents want their kids to learn this stuff. Thio then the kids are probably more into... algorithmic music, or laser organs, or physical modeling of dinosaur throats.

Wasn't there a discussion like this back when recording media was new, and ppl were concerned that nobody would bother to learn to sing or play anymore? Also, instruments come and go. Welcome to the mainstream, digital; welcome to the niches, harpsichord, psaltery, pipe organ...

I was really just using you as an example as someone who limits themselves to FL. I know blind uses Cubase 5. Blind has skills.

Some folks that I know try to talk about his musical inclination, but meh, bLind has skills + he's ultra-cool.

Shit, FL is cool, but I find it to be limiting after say, eight years of using it. I concluded that after about 3+ years of utilization. I can't say that I know every damned thing about the program, but you do understand.

One thing that FL Studio did not teach me (well): music theory. Some do not value it, but with at least a bit of substantial knowledge of music theory, you can go a loooong way. Your songs will be much better than you can imagine, and it'll become even more easy. Yes, FL Studio will become even more easy.

Reason has cool sounds, but its DAW is terrible! Also, the sounds are too highly processed, but I still like it.

I recorded the real instruments in Cubase cause FL can't do that worth a poop.

You're doing it wrong then.

*EDIT* I feel like I am qualified to say that FL Studio is sufficient to create music professionally with. And is not necessarily any better or worse than any other DAW on the market.

The direction this thread has gone is a stupid one.

The direction this thread has gone is a stupid one.

Mind redirecting it? Either way, I'll help! :D

FL Studio is a great program for beginners, intermediates, and pros alike!

So, a helpful question: how can we make less generic music? No suggestions? Ok, here are a few:

• Learn enough music theory
  • Use recorded acoustic and electric sounds, and include them with additional sounds from the program itself. The instrumentalist can be you or someone else.
  • Learn how to mix and master. I would say something about mixing in mono to resolve conflict before you evolve your song, but that's not welcome on this discussion board.
  • Do not rely on presets of effects or generators for satisfactory results. Unless you're Soulja Boy Tellem, you'll be disappointed!
  • Add more instruments to your browser.
  • Use more than one program, whether it's as transitive as going from one to the other, or if you use one while using another, especially with plugins such as ReWire.
  • Stop being a jackass that thinks that putting together some marimbas, orchestral hits and repeating a sequence of poorly utilized drum samples (some call it 'beats') = having it all figured out.

The secret that traditional musicians hold is discipline. Let's not obsess over their ignorance or their disgust; rather, let's incorporate their ideas and evolve!

That's how you do it, BGC.

This post is 100% on topic. :razz:

Countless hours, countless attempts, some short-term ragequits, lots of ego damage; it takes a lot of work and a long time to make anything good.

Amen. I still haven't come up with something good. I've been messing around with electronic music off and on for around five years and there was an extended period of time where I thought that it was simply impossible for me to make anything even remotely good. Within the last few months, I've decided that the only way I'm going to get better at electronic music is if I actually start making it, no matter how shitty it sounds when I start. I recently entered my first compo that I actually followed through with and came up with this piece of crap.

tl;dr, eilios is right. Electronic music is very difficult to make.