OCR01321 - *YES* Ninja Gaiden 2 'Ashtar's Desires'

djpretzel

Well It has been some time since I submitted a solo Remix, so here it is.

Its a remix of Stage 3-2 From Ninja Gaiden 2. I've been wanting to remix this song ever since I started remixing a few years ago, and now I have mix that I'm pretty happy with.

So yeah as Usual from me, I made a Trance Remix of this tune. Only that this time is not too much of a synth mesh. It has some touches of house and ethnic, with some parts that concentrate on the use of melodies using pianos, flutes, and some other stuff. My electronica stuff is here anyways, as it wouldn't be me without it.

I decided that the original was a bit simple and tried to add more counter melodies to give it more depth and rhythmn, as well as new stuff to complement it, I think that at the end the result was a mix that flows very well between the genres.

So yeah as always, Fruity loops 4 (Changing to reason or fls5 soon ^_^) , my beloved 3xosc, tst404 and some other vsti's and Wav samples. Hope you like it.

If the link doesn't works, please contact me via a PM or to this email and I'll provide you with the mix.

P.D.: Thanks to sadorf for the help with the flute melodies. u rock!

[23:36] <S|r_NutS> ok dude.. is there any way to put in in like.. stand by or something?

[23:36] <S|r_NutS> cuz I want to fix some clipping that there is on it (and that I know you and the other judges will notice and prlly vote no on it)

[23:37] <Digital_Coma> sure

[23:37] <S|r_NutS> I'll have the new version up this weekend k?

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/ninja_g2.zip - Track 1 (NES version)

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ngt.rsn - Fortress (ngt-213.spc - SNES version)

Seems like some pretty standard trance adaptation work. At :17, I noticed the flute on lead sounded a little loud and overbearing. If the levels on it had been like that for the whole track, it might have been an annoyance I could have coped with. After it comes back at 1:00, it's still just too loud. Then at 1:15 as you've hit the main melody, the flute lead is ridiculously loud and piercing until 1:41. The overall presentation from 1:56-2:23 sounds loud but doesn't really have enough distinction amongst the various sounds in play.

The instrumentation sounds decent enough for this trance work, but I don't mean to sound insulting when I say the sounds are very generic for the most part. Nothing's wrong with staple sounds from the genre, but I don't think those elements combined well enough here. Not really liking the thin-but-loud texture of the keyboard, synth strings, flute & electrosynths working together throughout the track. Stuff with thicker sounds, like "G-Storm" or "Kick Your A" can pull their levels of loudness & mushed sounds off because the sounds are full. The hand drums were hot though.

Compared to your awesome Sonic Adventure remix, "LightSpeed", I felt as if this mix was too loud during the loudest sections, featured flimsier sound choices, and poorer instrument separation/EQing.

The composition for the breakdown section from 2:38-3:04 sounded like slapped together improvisation, and needs more thought put into it. The keyboard used to back up the flute is exposed and sounds really flimsy again.

I liked the arrangement overall, which had good compositional ideas with the genre adaptation, the new flute line, as well as the rearrangement ideas from 3:12 until 4:07 in altering the rhythms of the melody (though again, the keyboard sounds flimsy). The arrangement was definitely passable to me and doesn't need to be worked on significantly. I'm certainly interested in analoq & zircon's takes on the piece and how well they feel the execution played out though.

My suggestions would be to eliminate the piercing frequencies (flute), achieve a bit cleaner separation of sounds so you can hear the supporting elements better, beef up your synths a bit (the keyboard in particular), and make a more coherent freestyle section from 2:38-3:04. Again, those are just suggestions; certainly don't have to do too much to pass in my eyes. I'm on the borderline, Mike, so anything you'd wanna do that you feel makes the track better and achieves a better sound will get a YES from me if you have to resub.

NO (refine/resubmit)

I think the levels on everything are perfectly fine; leads are supposed to be loud, although the stereo field does sound stretched a little thin. The arrangement is nothing too daring for S|r NutS, and comes with his trademark tinny bongos and piano delay, but his handling of the theme is complete. I especially like the hard synths leading to the ending.

Trance-ish development done right as usual, although it could have been extended.

YES

not much wrong here

except that s|rnuts' stuff sometimes reminds me of robert miles, whom i can't stand.

but surely i can't fault anyone on that. (:

i know i had a discussion with larry with the levels of this mix and while things are on the bright side, there's nothing painful or piercing for me.

it's top-heavy, but the mix maintains clarity.

it's a coherent piece of work that manages to build and sustain more tension than the typical dance music we get.

an acceptable effort.

yes

I agree with larry to a point. I think the high frequencies when things get busy get particularly chaotic and the mixing problems tend to crop up there the most. At the end of the day, I don't feel it's a big enough issue, nor one most would notice anyway.

Also this is a bit too loud, I know you electronica people are competing with each other to see who can get up to -.1 db track RMS, but I think this could have worked a bit better if it wasn't as strong. I won't mark minus points as it doesn't detract this mix in a great way.

The arrangement as a whole is quite good and energetic and for me this is the most important value. Ending is sort of abrupt, could of been handled better there. Good stuff overall though.

Yes.