OCR02213 - Halo 3 "Immortalized"

djpretzel

I'd have to agree with what Shariq said. Some remixes tend to go a different route entirely from the source, but this one sounds like it would belong in the game or a trailer. Keeps it close yet original.

I actually had my doubts going into the first bit. Then the "Never Forget" theme hit. I actually forgot what that track was until I heard it, and I realized it was one of my favorite cues. Slow mournful yet hopeful strings were what made it for me in the original, and you kept those pretty well intact. I heard that, and I was ready to download. :nicework: Also, I love the use of the piano. Simple yet elegant, and the fact that the original used a piano too was a good tie-in.

Music is awesome. :wink:

Waited months to see this posted, was so excited to hear it that I actually searched it out on his website... Still, worth hearing again and very much deserving of this post. Sole Signal definitely tried something adventurous with the arrangement, and combining these two themes in a less cinematic, song-like structure worked pretty well. I like the Never Forget source so much that I severely overpaid for the Halo 2 OST at Magfest. :-P

If you're reading this, great work S.S.!

I remember this from the WIP forums, and I'm so, so, SO glad this is finally up.

I adore the Halo soundtracks. Out of all the generic, cinematic orchestral music that seems to be all to common place in games today, the scores for the Halo series have always stood out for me. It's always been memorable, apt and so completely head and shoulders above the rest of the pack, so I'm really surprised that the games don't get more coverage here.

But what a way to bring Halo back. I've loved this track for a long time, right from the very first WIP. 'Never Forget' is one of the most intensely emotional pieces ever written for a game score, and the use of it in this mix is divine. I love the slow and deliberate pace of this mix. It's very measured and well thought out, and I totally agree with Mr Lloyd's remark about the lack of bombast; it's refreshing to see the restraint in tackling these sources; it could have very easily been 'balls to the wall' by the end of the mix, but in this case, the more reserved approach really pays off and goes a long toward making this mix utterly unique and totally unforgettable.

Outstanding. Kudos to you, my friend :D

I don't like the beats. They feel too electronic and take away much of the more natural sound selection and atmosphere. Maybe you could try with a softer drumline or for the first two minutes, maybe you could go completely without. Otherwise, I dig this mix.

A lot of people might hate on it a little because it's not as "epic" as the source but I think that's what makes it really awesome. The source is a great song and it fits the game extremely well but it's not something I'd put on a playlist, your rendition was an instant add. Great work!

• 2 months later...

Piano is implemented very nicely. The part around 2:45 goes slightly into "epic" territory, but it does not go overboard (which is good, as it would have changed the mood of the mix cosiderably otherwise). Nice ending.

I do find the beat a little too fast and loud, though. Slowing the mix down/doing without the beat (as Swanky said) might've been interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Love the piano used in this one, backed by that choir. I don't really remember much of the Halo's soundtrack, ironically, except Finish the Fight and Never Forget among a few others, so hearing them like this is complete justice. Loved how it starts out at a nice pace, gets a little harder around 2:45 and then drops back off into that beautiful spot at the end. Very nice.

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02213 - Halo 3 "Immortalized"