*NO* Legend of Zelda 3 'Safe in a Cave? No Way!'

djpretzel

The first half is a conservative take of the source material, intermingled with some original stac/marc strings. The second half I have to say grew on me quite a lot. I enjoyed the creative aspects in the second half. The mix feels incomplete though, it's underdeveloped. Production as a whole is pretty average too. Drums don't sound that great - "GM-tastic." Phased metallic percussion at the end sounds a little out of place in my opinion. Abrupt ending too.

I hope you consider working on this more, there's a lot of potential and I enjoyed this and the vibe is quite cool. But at its current state it just doesn't have enough to pass.

NO.

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/loz3.rsn - "Select Screen" (loz3-11.spc)

After having some NO Override stuff before, somehow he got markedly better-sounding samples now. Not bad for free stuff.

In any case, the arrangement is way too conservative and uninterpretive. Mostly a cover with some light string attacks and beats underneath, along with some areas of subtraction as well, before finally going into some actual rearrangement at 1:44. The arranged ideas aren't bad from 1:44-2:09.

Some decent additive ideas here, but this still didn't take many risks. Interesting keyboard and beat work from 2:09-2:34. You're starting to finally pick up on some semblance of what a ReMix needs to be, but ditch the mere cover upgrade action and get expansive and intrepretive with some serious rearrangement. Everything here sounds too subtly presented as well. Push some of the more interesting support elements up more.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's pretty good. It's got a nice texture and some good 'additive' ideas, like Larry said. That solo around 2:00 is really nice. However, I think that overall it's a bit too close to the original. Some more expansion and stuff like the solo would be good. Try playing around with instrumentation more too.

NO, but please try to work on this more and resubmit.

There are a few original sections, but they are not original enough to counteract the rest of the song being the original + oom-tss with minor additions. The string additions and harp runs don't really add enough to truly differentiate it for me.

Random key change? Come on, at least give us some context or a reason for it.

NO

-D