Messages to/from Bahamut

Diodes

Vinnie + I got a letter in the mail today from Bahamut, and there is a page that is addressed to OCR. While he did not explicitly ask that we type up the message and post it in the forums, it seems apparent that he wanted the message to get to the OCR community. So I have taken the liberty of typing it up and posting it here. Maybe this thread can serve as a place where people can post messages to Bahamut when he returns to internet-land, or any other correspondence from him to share with the community.

OK now onto the letter (to the best of my ability to decipher his cursive :-?):

Hey OCR!

How's life for everyone? Nice & chill & full of vgm? I'm glad a community like OCR exists, in addition of course w/the oodles of free music. Remember to thank all of the artists that make it possible - even if they make music in a style not of your liking, they let you experience music from a different angle free of charge. If there's anything boot camp has done for me [to try??], it's that I appreciate all of the communal aspects even more, as I have [chose??] a path of constant turmoil.

Cherish your comforts however small. There is always worse.

Ex-forum mod,

Bahamut

Wesley Cho

EDIT: Duhhh this just occurred to me after posting this... there was a return address on the letter. I could conceivably write back to Wes and send him any mesages from the community! So if there's anything you'd like me to pass onto him in a letter, post it here. Yay.

Amy:

Tell Wes that Addie and I wish him well! It's actually been really inspiring to see him improve himself both physically and emotionally since we saw him in Champaign. I hope he's doing alright in boot camp -- it's hard, but it's worth it too. While DC13 introduced me to the site, it was in many ways spending time with Wes after Mag7 and at UIUC that encouraged me to be more socially involved here at OCR. Thanks a bunch to him (and to you, Amy, for offering to pass stuff along) -- keep up the good work with the Marines!

What happens to his projects now and stuff?

I can answer for at least some of his projects - Dyne is taking care of the final stages of the MMX project while Arek, Jade and I are taking over the Lufia project until his return. (By the way we're looking for more members right now! Git in on it!)

As for anything else he was involved in I can't say.

Dearest Wes, while you were away I ascended to Moderator in your stead. I control the Spice, and it must flow.

Also have fun in boot camp, it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Your BFF,

Brushfire.

PS: when you graduate, make sure to not throw away your running shoes. I made that mistake and I don't want to see it happen again.

• 4 weeks later...
Amy, I just caught this.

Is there any way you could PM me his address? I forgot to get it from him before he left. :( I'd like to send him his b-day gift, among other things. Like WA goodies.

Just make sure he's allowed to receive these "goodies". My sister made me a lovely batch of cookies while I was in boot camp, and my drill sergeant said he wasn't hungry. So they went straight into the trash.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a letter from Wes today. He says things are going well and he seems happy despite the pain. He's lost 20lbs. May 13th he was doing rifle qualification stuff and hoping to shoot rifle expert. 4 Weeks away from becoming marines. He wants to know what OCR Drama has been going on lately, and which albums have come out while he's been gone.

I got a letter from Wes today. He says things are going well and he seems happy despite the pain. He's lost 20lbs. May 13th he was doing rifle qualification stuff and hoping to shoot rifle expert. 4 Weeks away from becoming marines. He wants to know what OCR Drama has been going on lately, and which albums have come out while he's been gone.

tell him that MMX got rejected due to genre bias and see what he says. say that the album needed more disco rock and less thrash.

Guess what I got in the mail today:

Hey OCR! Enjoy Maverick Rising yet? I'm about halfway through boot camp and should be back like June 18th. Things are pretty tough here, but it's manageable - it's only pain. It was great receiving the forum responses, it was a cheer to read (as well as Nekofrog's and Ashamee's letters). I don't really get too much time to write letters unfortunately, due to my ??? duties in my platoon, but I still do love to hear about OCR happenings. If anyone wants to mail me, feel free to send letters to me! Amy & Vinnie have my address, and it should also be on my Facebook wall. Otherwise I hope all is well!

Sincerely,

Bahamut

I do have his address in case anyone wants it, just PM me. Unfortunately, in a follow-up letter included in the same envelope, Wes said he fractured his hand which is going to set back his boot camp completion to August. So, who wants to tell him about Maverick Rising? *touches nose*

He's going to be back to the net on June 18th? That's barely enough time to get a letter out there. :-o

I still haven't found a pen. x_x

It was unclear when he's getting back. He sent a separate letter to Amy and I and mentioned that he fractured his hand and that would push back his graduation. So I'm not sure if that June 18th date is still accurate.

I finally wrote the letter, did it with a fine-tip sharpy, may have been a bad idea... hopefully he can read it though. The paper's too thin but if he puts it on a table or whatnot, and the sun isn't shining through it, it should be ok. :<

Also gonna send a CD along with it, in a bubble mailer... Is this a bad idea? Would the army guys likely just toss or reject it if I sent the letter that way?

They might. Sending stuff besides letters is generally a bad idea, because it can, and likely will, be opened in front of everyone, and get fussed over. When Nekofrog was in bootcamp, I only sent letters, and when he finally asked for me to send photos, I made sure that he was sure that it was okay for him to receive pictures with his letters. If in doubt, don't do it. It might cause some teasing, or get tossed in the trash.