Messages to/from Bahamut

Diodes

• 2 weeks later...

OK! Bunch of letters from Wes. You guys, I think he really loves hearing from us, so please send him some love, either in this thread (which I will continue to print out and send with my letters) or directly to his address, which is in his letters below.

Jun. 2 2011

Hey OCR!

I liked seeing the responses before that Amy sent me! I miss being able to talk & hang out w/everyone - the life I picked will surely make that more difficult, at least while I'm in the military. I still think about OCR quite a bit. I enjoy all the memories that the community has brought in my life. How has everyone been? Enjoying the good life? 3DS any good? Any particular news about the NEP? What music have I missed? OCR drama?

If anyone wants to send me a letter, mail it to:

Rct. Cho, Wesley

STC/MRP

PO Box 15220

Parris Island, SC 29905-6145

I also challenge someone to find & mail me the Nintendo Power mag w/an interview of Taucer & me. I'd love to see it for memories sake.

As for here, I have some fond experiences. Just today a drill instructor made a kid cry for leaning back on the wall while sitting by just screaming at him. My heavy hat in my old platoon had some fun mind games. The most amusing he did to me was make me switch blouses with a fat black rucruit named Griggs, having him respond to Cho with "Recruit Cho from Korea reporting as ordered sir" and me responding to Griggs with "Recruit Griggs from Alabama reporting as ordered sir." When asked what was my favorite food, I had to respond "This recruit's favorite food is fried chicken sir." The platoon lost its bearing when I sounded off with that. The only thing that sucked was that Griggs' blouse had a foul odor, it made me want to throw up. There's so many similarly amusing stories, but I'd take forever writing them in one letter with just the left hand. I'll respond to any letters with some though!

I hope you all got to enjoy Maverick Rising by now. There's a lot of fantastic music there, and I am glad I started the album project. A lot of unexpected takes on source material appeared, which is a good thing overall. This year looks extraordinary for OCR musically, and I envy that you all get to listen to so much right now!

I hope to hear from all of you soon!

Sincerely,

Wesley Cho

Bahamut

6/6/2011

(Another letter! I just have too much letter writing time these days)

Hey OCR yet again!

I'm finally now ready to respond to the forum posts from 2 months ago!

Brushfire - boot camp sucked ass pretty early on, and it was mostly from the damn kids in the platoon being undisciplined. Things get better as you get used to things though. Pain is the tool of discipline, like 2+ hour kill sessions.

Bardic - it was good to read that from you! Boot camp has been a great experience for me physically & mentally. I've dropped to around 160-165 lbs & have worked on being more commanding & disciplined. The more unfortunate aspect is that some recruits do get brainwashed from the training because they don't respond to it properly. I hope to talk & hang out more in the near future! There's a good chance I'll be at MID... [M/D? I don't know what that is -diotrans]

Protodome - they'll be converted into Protodome sing alongs! ;)

They're in good hands, although I'll be away longer than I would like thanks to this fractured right hand. It'll be about 5 months away from civilization by the time I get out.

DA - those chest clicks were nice!

Gario - any new Lufia 2 members? Hope the music is turning out great!

Stevo - good to hear! I've had my fair share of getting messed with, but I found out my drill instructors had a high opinion of me. They succeeded in pushing me to my limits which makes me happy. I didn't come down here for it to be easy after all.

Sixto - no being a scout sniper for me, just a grunt here, but I'll be sure to tear the Taliban up!

Brandon - sent ya a letter & will send another sometime this week. Got your letter just today, loved reading it!

Linkspast & Prophecy - thanks a lot! Here I'm constantly made to feel the weight of my choice, so I appreciate it when others appreciate it. It is thanks enough.

Nekofrog - hell no am I going to throw away my go fasters. I'm amused that the Air force also makes you align the shoe display too.

Amy - As I mentioned in the response to Brush, pain is the name of the game here, but it's nothing I can't handle. I'm fine & as jovial as ever! :)

Sorry for the delay in posting those last two letters which were from a couple of weeks ago, Vinnie was away in Japan and we didn't see them until now.

6/19/2011

Hey OCR,

I heard from Brandon & Amy about Maverick Rising - sucks, but let this letter get some people get motivated to help finish it up. I think I won't be back until late August unfortunately, but I do want to see it through - I should've been back by now!

Sending stuff in the mail generally isn't a good idea as Ash mentioned - it's usually pretty great seeing the drill instructors comment on peoples packages. One recruit got sent Magna RX pills & the DI asked him why did his friend send him Mega Man pills before taking them away. If someone feels like sending 50-100 energy bars I'll be happy though! :) Another recruit's mom sent that recruit some girly thing. Turned out the mom is a Marine, so she probably wanted her son to get a little extra incentive training.

Doug - About time!

CHIPP - Of course! I'm still far from ripped, but that'll probably happen in the next year or so.

I feel like this is one of thos AIM or chatroom convos that are moving so fast that people are talking about different things since I sent another letter already & I see a different set of responses w/this letter. Except slow the time by a gazillion times.

Also, sorry Taucer, I'm gonna miss getting to hang out in Raleigh before going to Camp Lejeune - apparently I have to buy a plane ticket straight there.

Hope to hear more from everyone soon!

Wesley Cho

6/22-ish/2011 [diotrans guessing here]

Hey OCR,

My hand is free of the cast! It smelled like crazy, and not in a good way. 5 weeks of not washing it, even after an intensive workout, takes a toll. Not being able to write with my right hand sucked too. So my graduation date will be likely August 26, although I have a chance of getting off this island on August 12. I heard about Maverick Rising from Brandon already as I mentioned before; I want to see it released asap as I'm sure a lot of you want to see too! It makes me want to get out of here all the more so that I could guarantee its release. Otherwise, I'm going fine so far, although busy as hell because I'm basically the clear leader of the platoon here in MRP (Medical Rehabilitation Platoon).

As I mentioned two letters ago, I invite anyone to write to me at:

Wesley Cho

STC/MRP

PO Box 15220

Parris Island, SC 29905-5220

My next letter will be more interesting, I promise. I'm in a rush atm because free time is about to end, so I hope to hear back from people!

Sincerely,

Wesley Cho

• 2 weeks later...

June 28, 2011

Hey OCR,

I've been pretty busy with letter writing lately - it turns out I graduate August 5 from boot camp, assuming all goes as planned, and August 12 otherwise. It's pretty exciting to be going back to training in a week. In fact I probably will be back in training sweating my balls off by the time this letter gets out there. It's been hitting 100+ degrees down here pretty often, so the culminating event of boot camp, the Crucible, will be brutal (look it up if you don't know). Thankfully my injury didn't deteriorate my right arm too badly - I'm still doing 9 pullups, which isn't too bad for not doing any for 6 weeks.

It feels somewhat strange leaving here in only one more month. I'm already used to life here in boot camp & am full of confidence. I really miss everyone & having internet access though. I especially miss life around OCR - it makes me want to try to find a career path somehow in the game industry instead of pursuing a career as an officer. While I'm extraordinarily motivated, I miss listening to music continuously & being surrounded by more similar minded gamers. At the same time, not many can do what I'm doing. It takes someone with incredible character & discipline in order to perform at a high level so often, so I believe I will have a successful career as an officer. Boot camp has provided me with amazing leadership opportunities for expanding my capabilities, especially while injured. Boot camp/Officer Candidate School is quite worthwhile for anyone interested in improving as a person & is uncertain about their future.

I missed some awesome meetups while here, didn't I? How is everyone doing? Working hard out there? Temperatures not too bad? (looking at you Bardic & OA - midwest finally not freezing?) Lots of new music from all of you musicians in the community? Just know that whatever music you're putting out, it's probably many times better than the music I am surrounded with from time to time here. Regale me with some great tales! If anyone wants to send a letter, my address is (again):

Rct. Cho, Wesley

STC/MRP

PO Box 15220

Parris Island, SC 29905-5220

Even if I am back into training, the letters will redirect to me so don't worry about the address changing. I would absolutely love to hear from people, even if it's menial or even if I don't/haven't spoken to them much. At the least, it'd give me something for me to mull over.

I hope to hear back/see you all again soon!

Wesley Cho

P.S. Thanks Amy for posting these letters!

10char10char

Gario - any new Lufia 2 members? Hope the music is turning out great!

OHSHI-

Didn't see this, for some VERY STRANGE reason.

Answer - Yes, there are some new members, and things are moving forward. I'm impressed with some of the new entries (and hopefully I'll get even more in the next week or so). Best wishes, hope to have a whole lot done here when you get back.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I'm not able to spend much time to check everything out so far as my liberty is almost up and I'm still here at Parris Island, but I'm finally a Marine after almost 5 months! I've gotten a bunch of updates from Amy during my stay here and relished hearing about stuff, although I've probably missed a crapton of stuff everyone has been doing during that time. The journey to becoming a Marine was long and at some times arduous. Pain was a regular tool of discipline, and discipline is a big part of the Marine Corps, moreso than any other military branch.

I didn't get a letter from Will (Dyne) for some strange reason, but I got Jade's letter - it's silly for me to respond to it in writing though seeing as I'm going to be back so soon and in my current platoon we never really got much free time to write letters anyway. I'll probably give some more thorough updates, including some tales of boot camp this weekend when I finally will get to use my own laptop on my own time again. For now, take this as a confirmation that all is well and I'll be back to tell more soon enough! (and check up on project statuses :) )

Hey everyone!

I'm not able to spend much time to check everything out so far as my liberty is almost up and I'm still here at Parris Island, but I'm finally a Marine after almost 5 months! I've gotten a bunch of updates from Amy during my stay here and relished hearing about stuff, although I've probably missed a crapton of stuff everyone has been doing during that time. The journey to becoming a Marine was long and at some times arduous. Pain was a regular tool of discipline, and discipline is a big part of the Marine Corps, moreso than any other military branch.

I didn't get a letter from Will (Dyne) for some strange reason, but I got Jade's letter - it's silly for me to respond to it in writing though seeing as I'm going to be back so soon and in my current platoon we never really got much free time to write letters anyway. I'll probably give some more thorough updates, including some tales of boot camp this weekend when I finally will get to use my own laptop on my own time again. For now, take this as a confirmation that all is well and I'll be back to tell more soon enough! (and check up on project statuses :) )

HE'S ALIVE! Awesome! Great to hear you're a marine. go you!

Hey everyone!

Marine? Hahahahaha.

I'm going to laugh at you if you get posted to 29 Palms for an extended period of time.

Hey everyone!

Congrats. As a reservist, you'll probably be insta-deployed as soon as you finish your post-basic training training.

/i deployed before you, nyah nyah

Hey everyone!

Awesome! Congratulations and that's great news to hear.

Look forward to seeing you around these parts again. KF

• 1 month later...