*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Trance Mission'

djpretzel

I'll just skip the formalities and get straight to the point:

The remixed song is from Final Fantasy 7 and it's called "Opening - Bombing Mission".

We'd like to name our remix "Trance Mission".

Comments: This is our first song since we started using Reason instead of Buzz tracker.

Fooling around with equalizers and compressors has taken up most of the time really,

trying to make every instrument hearable. I think we pulled it off quite well and next time we won't have to spend so much time with that stuff.

Anyway, download the remix here:

Hope you like it!

Greetings from Standby! Oh, and Happy New Year! :D

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 102 "Opening - Bombing Mission" (:40-1:12, 2:17-2:31)

I'm glad to see old-school OC mixers coming back to offer more submissions and sticking around the community in some form. Things stayed pretty basic with the intro, with some beats coming in at :20. Various cymbal crashes, reverse cymbal crashes and some claps came in over the first minute. Lots of trance staples here, that's for sure.

Source melody starts up at 1:05 and the lead here is generic and (arguably) not as good as the original. 1:33 features a pretty basic cover of the source melody with beats underneath it, and this isn't really going anywhere particularly. After a short breakdown & build, more elements came in at 2:01 to build upon the trance work although none of it tends to connect to this short, repeating section of the source tune melody. Stuff's just being built around the source as opposed to interacting with it.

Things finally change up at 2:53 with some arrangement handling the section starting at 2:17 of the source alongside some more interesting effects on the lead synths. Nonetheless, it's the same problem here as with the previous section of arrangement, as none of the added trance instrumentation connects with another short, repeating section of the source tune melody. Here, it manages to perceiveably sound more connected nonetheless, but there's not much to it.

Moves back to an original outro at 3:56 to wrap things up. The moral of this story is to actually weave and integrate the source theme you choose into the genre you pick. The source tunes were minimally arranged (basically just plucked verbatim and dumbed down) with some trance beats stapled underneath. Thematically, it doesn't get much more simplistic than that. There's a higher standard than that these days. Reinterpret things with more attention paid to the actual source tune next time.

NO

If the thematic sections were as competent as the non-thematic ones, I think I could pass this. While it doesn't really do much for me, it does seem to me that parts of this are a pretty decent, if generic, take on trance, but once you start adding in the source theme things just become too simplistic.

I say go back to the drawing board and figure out a way to make your presentation of the themes as interesting as your intro and outro. And you might want to reconsider the form- feels a bit like two pieces tacked together at the moment; a more seamless integration of the theme that enters in at 3:01 would probably be good.

NO

Pretty much covered by Liontamer and Israfel.

Lots of trance staples here, but I think the arrangement and composition is pretty standard. There's really not much exploration of the theme or composition here.

Production, synth design in general is average, some eq work is in order here to separate the sounds a bit. I love textural meshes, but for this style, I think more definition would be nice.

I did very much like the ending sections in terms of composition and synth design. Definitely the strongest material of the mix in this part of the mix.

Pretty decent overall, but just under the bar I'm afraid. Keep at it, you have promise. NO

There's definately some interesting synthetic textures here. Some of them are very agreeable to dance music, some of them are a bit... abstract. There's not much of a problem with authenticity to the genre, and there is a decent effort to make it somewhat original.

However, my main beef with this tune is that it doesn't seem to keep more than 1 or 2 things going at once. For too long, there are synth motifs supported only by oom-tss. No attempt at harmonies, funky basslines or even timbral support from pad/fx synths. Very rarely is there a full, interesting soundfield that holds my attention. 2:12 gets the closest, but it stills feels empty.

Either a more solid harmonic/melodic package needs to take hold, or some kind of more interesting timbral reinforcement must be present. As of now, it's a shell. Fill 'er up.

NO

-D