GeruDUB Valley (A dubstep remix)

So here's the story. A friend of mine posted a "dubstep" remix of Gerudo Valley on my Facebook wall. It was a pretty nice remix and all but wasn't really dubstep. Then a bunch of my friends commented on it saying "I'm disappointed" and such. So I said jokingly, "Maybe I'll make my own dubstep remix." But they really wanted me to do it so I decided to give it a shot.

Let it be known, I've never tried to make a dubstep song before. Also this isn't meant to be a super serious remix (I'm not even a huge fan of dubstep), its just a little side project for me that has been pretty fun to screw around with so far. And yes I realize there are so many covers and remixes of Gerudo Valley already, but oh well.

Still a work in progress, I've only worked on it for about 2 hours. Let me know what you think!

Version 1: http://soundcloud.com/jordan-reed/amphibious-gerudub-valley-wip

- Early attempt

Version 2: http://soundcloud.com/jordan-reed/amphibious-gerudub-valley-wip2

- New bass sound

- New automation (filters, volume, panning)

- Longer, with more melody

- Maximus on the master mixing channel (very iffy)

I love it!

You could use this suggestion. I loved the way the wub wub was but did you think changing the wub wub instrument to another wub wub of about the same frequency but with a different texture. Alterning between 3-4 different bass. It would be cool.

Another thing: I think (think HAHA) you kick is tacking too much place in the very low end. I'm not sure since I'm on headphones (And cannot play it on my system cause I'm in appartement.) But I'd check it.

Nice track dude. KEep it up so we can see some dubstep to the front page :)

Haha, thanks for the suggestions. I'll consider adding some different bass sounds and tossing the wubs around I guess, it could be interesting. Definitely worth experimenting with.

Also yeah, I'm not sure about the kicks myself. I'm currently layering 3 kicks, though 1 kick is only on the downbeat of every second measure to give a really deep punch. I have the bass sidechained to this kick so that it ducks under ever 2 measures and then sorta swells back in. I dunno though, I'll have to play around with it some more.

Thanks for the feedback, glad you somewhat enjoyed it so far, haha.

if I'm not mistaken, what you're using for the "wub wub" here is just an instrument with a weird long attack... from what I've heard of the wubby wub type of dubstep, this instrument you've got doesn't remind me of the wubwubs

I've left a timed comment on your soundcloud making a more specific point about your bass instrument ;D

in current popular dubstep the wubs are normally made with LFOs on the volume, compression, distortion, and assorted filters. for example, if you have a bass sound (with distortion and a lowpass filter) and you automate the instrument's volume knob and the filter's frequency knob in unison, that's your wub

automating knobbies is fairly basic, so the internet or even the help file for your DAW should definitely have something about it

Yeah I'm familiar with automating knobs and such. Of course its dubstep that I'm not familiar with, so I just kinda went out on a limb and used that bass sound to try and emulate the wub. I liked how it was sounding but I see what you're saying about it not being a proper wub for dubstep. Interesting stuff, I'll have to try out some of that.

I was starting to add a new part where the bass sound changes from what I have to the analog one you noted. Perhaps I'll change the first part and use it instead, or something similar, or maybe layer it with the one I have currently. I'll have to play around some more.

*UPDATED VERSION:

http://soundcloud.com/jordan-reed/amphibious-gerudub-valley-wip2

So I dunno, I changed the bass sound to the more analog one as suggested and automated some volume/filters and such to get a better wub. I kinda like how it turned out, though I still don't know if its that great. I also did a bit of panning automation to make it bounce around a bit.

Most notable in this version is that I added Maximus to the master mixing channel. It gave it a fuller and louder sound, however I feel like thats a pretty cheap way to go about it. Plus I fear that I may have muffled some of the sounds a bit. (I sort of notice this, and I'm sure any audiophiles out there will be painfully aware of it)

So yeah, still a WIP of course. Learning some new things though. Any more suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Yeah it's way better like this. Maybe a little bit muddy but it's not finished yet. It sounds like your pushing your knob too much and a little bit too much compression from maximus.

Edit: I loved the part at 1:05! :) This is the way you need changing the sound sometime. Pretty neat. Keep it up.

Yeah the Maximus is something I didn't play around with too much. I need to fiddle with it some more. Also I'll have to try some other means of getting a fuller sound without it being quite so muddy. At least its sounding a bit better.

Now this is dubstep I could tolerate! Now I have not heard the source, so I can't comment on anything but the current song. The ending was a little disappointing, but I don't suppose there is not much you can do with that...

Yeah the ending is just temporary, as its still a work-in-progress. I wanna make it longer and will probably have a real ending of sorts in the future. Glad you can tolerate it at least, haha.

I shall continue to refine it.

I dig this.

I think it could use a little work, but for what you got it's good. Maybe vary with the bassline some?

Thanks. For a first attempt at dubstep I'm feeling not too bad about this. (Obvious room for improvement, of course!)

Yeah I'm thinking the main wub pattern I'm using is a little overused. I change it in a few bars here and there, but some more variation is on the to-do list. Perhaps do a bit more with the 2nd bass instrument that I used (and change it a bit, I like it but I think I could make it sound better).

Having a hard time working on this because there's this guy who lives in the basement of the house we're renting so I can't be listening to crazy bass very late or else he will complain, haha. But I'll keep working at it when I can.

Having a hard time working on this because there's this guy who lives in the basement of the house we're renting so I can't be listening to crazy bass very late or else he will complain, haha. But I'll keep working at it when I can.

That's why man invented headphones:-D

This shit is loooooow lol. I like it. My kind of dubstep. As soon as it got to 0:15 I was just thinking " Ahh yeah, finally someone that understands what a bassline is supposed to sound like!"

Of course the track still sounds like it's a work in progress and has some ways to go but the ground work is getting there. What it needs is more variation, unfortunately the Gerudo valley theme has a tendency to be quite repetitive. I think there also might be match up issues between the instruments which is resulting in the overall song being a little muddled.

I can't wait to see what developments you have in mind for the next version.:-D