Secret of Mana: Angel's Fear (ambient/relaxation remix)

mv

Hey guys. Started this tonight and I'm starting to like where this is going :) Some things to fix of course but please let me know what you think of it so far, and don't hesitate if you have suggestions.

VERSION 0.4 : http://xavierdang.com/dump2011/mv-angelsfear_ambient0.4.mp3

notes:

0:00 -> 1:00 = mostly piano in that intro, it's a little bland right now even though this is ambient so I might see what I could add in this.

1:00 -> 1:33 = this melody is actually from Seiken Densetsu 3 (japanese Secret of Mana 2), but I thought it was fitting well since it's a melancholic melody and uses a relatively close backing.

end = despite this WIP having an "adequate" ending, I plan to make this much longer, possibly 5-6 minutes, because ambient needs its time ^^

Thanks for reading and listening! :)

I like the ambient nature of this piece, very sad and relaxing!

I love secret of mana so much, so I'm happy to see a remix of it!

The violin synth you have doesn't sound too bad at all, actually it does sound nice. For a violin synth it actually has some nice swell and vibrato moments, even if there isn't as much variation in vibrato speed, but if you want me to give you a acoustic or electric version of the part let me know =)

Hey guys. Started this tonight and I'm starting to like where this is going :) Some things to fix of course but please let me know what you think of it so far, and don't hesitate if you have suggestions.

VERSION 0.4 : http://xavierdang.com/dump2011/mv-angelsfear_ambient0.4.mp3

notes:

0:00 -> 1:00 = mostly piano in that intro, it's a little bland right now even though this is ambient so I might see what I could add in this.

1:00 -> 1:33 = this melody is actually from Seiken Densetsu 3 (japanese Secret of Mana 2), but I thought it was fitting well since it's a melancholic melody and uses a relatively close backing.

end = despite this WIP having an "adequate" ending, I plan to make this much longer, possibly 5-6 minutes, because ambient needs its time ^^

Thanks for reading and listening! :)

I dig this, man, what I think it suffers most from, however, is simply a lack of texture variety. There's a lot of space to develop your instrumentation, to move the melody around a bit, etc. I really like the backing sounds and the whole feel of the track, but your violin(s) really dominate the mix and I keep hoping for a more definite relief with some kind of instrumentation development or register development.

I like the ambient nature of this piece, very sad and relaxing!

I love secret of mana so much, so I'm happy to see a remix of it!

The violin synth you have doesn't sound too bad at all, actually it does sound nice. For a violin synth it actually has some nice swell and vibrato moments, even if there isn't as much variation in vibrato speed, but if you want me to give you a acoustic or electric version of the part let me know =)

Thanks for the kind word and proposal! I have worked with a violonist before (Jason "Midee" Zaffary, on my "Hillside" track that can be found on my site) and it was a great experience so maybe I'll take your offer for this, I will finish the arrangement first and see about it :)

I dig this, man, what I think it suffers most from, however, is simply a lack of texture variety. There's a lot of space to develop your instrumentation, to move the melody around a bit, etc. I really like the backing sounds and the whole feel of the track, but your violin(s) really dominate the mix and I keep hoping for a more definite relief with some kind of instrumentation development or register development.

You bring an interesting point, this kinda goes for a Tim Story/Brian Eno feel and they usually rely on relatively intimate/limited instrumentation. I will definitely try broadening things and see if that works without disrupting the feel I want for it. Thanks a lot for the input :)

Love the feel of the track dude. In regards to the simple intimate soundscape, I love it. But I do agree it could use a bit of variation.

Example:

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02085/

This is a track that I made. Besides the guitar it has a soft synth pad. In order to support the intimacy of the piece I weaved in several FX type sounds that supported the texture and ambience of the guitar. They are FX you don't necessarily hear but you feel. Most importantly they provide a textural variation that helps supports the emotional feeling of the mix and provides the necessary variation needed to keep the listener interested.

In my opinion this mix might benefit from some of the same use of FX to support the piano and strings. Some soft ambient vocal lines might help accent some areas as well.

Example:

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01319/

Can't wait to hear the finished version of this!